Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 PM

6,180 posts, read 4,573,145 times

Advertisements

An old one that really scared me at the time was Horror Hotel. The subject was witchcraft. An odd one, and hard to find, was Race With the Devil about devil worshippers, they always creep me out. A really scary bad seed type one was Joshua from 2007. Way better than The Bad Seed or The Omen, way better. I also thought the first Jeepers Creepers was scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,654,293 times
I have been a horror fan since I was a little kid. So at this point, I honestly have a hard time finding a movie that actually scares me. However, I will say that the night I watched "Sinister" by myself in the dark....I got a little spooked. Something about the "home movie" scenes in that movie really set me on edge. The music, the peaceful scenes of family fun, followed immediately by horrible scenes of torture and death. It really sort of got to me. I had to turn a light on. I've watched it since, without getting that same scary feeling, but the first time it got me pretty good.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,962,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I have been a horror fan since I was a little kid. So at this point, I honestly have a hard time finding a movie that actually scares me. However, I will say that the night I watched "Sinister" by myself in the dark....I got a little spooked. Something about the "home movie" scenes in that movie really set me on edge. The music, the peaceful scenes of family fun, followed immediately by horrible scenes of torture and death. It really sort of got to me. I had to turn a light on. I've watched it since, without getting that same scary feeling, but the first time it got me pretty good.
That is how I felt about The Strangers (original). I was home alone and had to turn every light on. Sinister is creepy and while I didn’t enjoy it as much as other movies, I’d recommend to people if they are looking for a good creepy movie.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:01 AM

23,530 posts, read 44,219,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I recently saw 'Hereditary,' and (to me) it was a waste. I love the old English haunted house type scares, and intricate,
physcological thrillers, but no gore. Wife won't even watch one if it has knives in it.
Anyone have any recommendations? I've read the entire thread, and have written down a few. With Halloween coming, we'd like an evening marathon.
I thought Hereditary was brilliant, and to date I am nonplussed by the audience vs critical reaction to it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hereditary/

The only thing I can deduce from it all is that the average contemporary moviegoer doesn't like to be made to think too much.

Alien is the only movie in memory where I found myself screaming out loud.

Other films that I found stylistically unsettling:

Nosferatu (1979 version)
Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Others
Don't Look Now
Phantasm (for the totally nightmarish quality it imbues)
John Carpenter's The Thing

Last edited by Iconographer; 10-17-2018 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,235,933 times
A friend of mine suggested we watch the Exorcist, but first he had me smoke a joint. It scared the holy crap out of me!

No movie has had the same impact.

Last edited by Willamette City; 10-17-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 11:09 AM

23,530 posts, read 44,219,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
A friend of mine suggested we watch the Exorcist, but first he had me smoke a joint. It scared the holy crap out of me!

No movie has had the same impact.
I just remember having to step around the woman sitting next to me; she sat there limp and sobbing uncontrollably.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,672,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I thought Hereditary was brilliant, and to date I am nonplussed by the audience vs critical reaction to it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hereditary/

The only thing I can deduce from it all is that the average contemporary moviegoer doesn't like to be made to think too much.

Alien is the only movie in memory where I found myself screaming out loud.

Other films that I found stylistically unsettling:

Nosferatu (1979 version)
Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Others
Don't Look Now
Phantasm (for the totally nightmarish quality it imbues)
John Carpenter's The Thing
Ive tried watching Hereditary a few times...Its OK, but I didnt see one demonic or evil thing this supposed demon did, thru out the entire movie!

When Paimon was in the young girl, she just acted like a normal girl her age, she had a sweet tooth, felt awkward at the party with older kids,apparently still had a nut allergy, etc...what kind of demon is this? LOL

Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,783,643 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD0RJ_iuBPo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KmJ...8&pbjreload=10

Old 10-19-2018, 09:33 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,783,643 times
The Visit, one of M. Night's best movies.

Gave me the serious creeps watching the movie, and it wasn't even based on anything supernatural or some monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B1NRC3WYEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzWA6M7VnGg

Old 10-21-2018, 11:32 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,779,541 times
The Exorcist was the scariest I have seen and still scares me if I watch it.

The Haunting of Julia is an old one, but a truly scary ghost story.

Hereditary is very current and very creepy (albeit slow-moving).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies