Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:31 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,314,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's why we waited till they were asleep and snuck out of our rooms to watch R-rated movies. Or was this a societal taboo in Maine back in the day? I had to get over to my oldest bro's house to watch Heavy Metal. Somehow, all the other kids' parents let them watch it when it showed up on HBO. They knew I read the mag, and wouldn't stop talking about how "dirty" the movie was, which only made me want to see it more.
I didn't grow up in Maine. My mom was really strict about what kids were allowed to watch. My dad (big horror movie fan) not so much. The only movie I ever remember my dad sending me out of the room for was Raging Bull. He was okay with violence, gore, and even a moderate amount of nudity. But something about the F-bomb got us kicked out the room. Weird.

Even so, we had Showtime and/or HBO, so I manged to see most everything in the early to mid '80s, whether by sneaking or otherwise. Risky Business probably was a sneak the first time I saw it. Can't remember for sure. The movie didn't make much of an impression on me. I think I watched Class and The Last American Virgin way more times than I ever did Risky Business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 04:58 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,851,904 times
He certainly has quite a body of work for not being part of the old paycheck studio system.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:08 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,872,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt
And man, that amazing ELECTRONIC musical score by Tangerine Dream is something else.
Indeed...... I wonder if they did that IN ANALOGUE originally??

I WOULD LOVE HAVING IT!!!!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 PM

983 posts, read 996,956 times
A Few Good Men

"I want the truth!"

"You can't handle the truth!"

Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,990,251 times
I loved Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. One of my all time favorite Cruise movies. Also, I had always wondered why it didn't gross more domestically. Although I figure that by then, the Tom-Cruise-bad-publicity-machine was in full gear and probably diminished some of his domestic returns. However, $209 mill isn't chopped liver.(And neither is $694 mill worldwide.)

I also liked Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, but not as much as Ghost Protocol. Also, the other MI movies I wasn't really that crazy about.

I'm glad that I wasn't a fan of the book Jack Reacher because a lot of the book fans ripped this movie apart(e.g. saying that Cruise wasn't tall enough to play the character, etc.). However, I thought that it was a good movie.

I liked Collateral pretty much. Although I wouldn't say it was his best movie, but it was enjoyable and rememberable, which to me is kind of a litmus test as to how much I liked a movie... that is, if I remembered how it ended. lol

I really liked Jerry Maguire. This was one of Cruise's best. "Show me the money!" lol

I only first saw Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles a few years ago on Netflix, and I really liked it. Great casting and a great horror flick.

The Firm was a really good Cruise film back in his younger days.

A Few Good Men is the one of the quintessential and one of the all time best Tom Cruise movies ever. Also, this is back during a time when Cruise played various types of characters, however, in more recent years, Cruise has seemed to gravitate more towards fantasy and science fiction type movies.

Also, I would say that Rain Man is another one of the quintessential and all time best Tom Cruise movies ever. I really loved this movie.

I also liked the gritty Born on the Fourth of July, however, I am contradicting myself because I don't remember how it ended. Although, I only saw it once, and this could probably be put in the category of 'liked it, but only wanted to see it once.'

And finally, I pretty much liked The Color of Money. This is one of Cruise's earlier movies where he costars with aging movie legend Paul Newman, which seemed like a move to further lift this actor's star further into the stratosphere.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:37 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,718,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Tom Cruise has been around for ages. So rank his best movies here and discuss!
top gun
risky business
cocktail
color of money
jerry mac
the firm
days of thunder

Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,629,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Indeed...... I wonder if they did that IN ANALOGUE originally??

I WOULD LOVE HAVING IT!!!!
Some of the music is sourced from three albums, all recorded in this sequence in 1979/80/81:

Force Majeure (the Side A suite is where the music for the first meeting with Lana comes from) https://www.amazon.com/Force-Majeure...+force+majeure
Tangram (Joel doing stuff around the house, and other select introspect moments) https://www.amazon.com/Tangram-Tange...+dream+tangram
Exit (the title track was remixed for the famous "Get off the babysitter!" scene) https://www.amazon.com/Exit-Tangerin...ine+dream+exit

Synths used across these albums (and Tangerine Dream got a lot of gear prototypes from the manufacturers ahead of everyone else, hence their cutting edge sound up through the mid-80s) were the Oberheim 8-voice, PPG Wave, DSI Prophet-5, DSI Six-Trak (no, Mark, that's not like an 8-track cartridge!), Roland Jupiters, Moog Memorymoog, Moog Minimoog, and others. And they often had multiples of some of these. That's a lot of value in one space!

A photo of TD's studio in Berlin circa the early 1980s:

I can't recommend the three albums — plus the 1981 soundtrack Thief — above enough. If you like what you hear in Risky Business, you're getting more, and then some. (This is the most recent, and best, version of Thief: https://www.amazon.com/Thief-Origina...ne+dream+thief)

The official soundtrack has music not on those albums, of course, including "Love on a Real Train."

https://www.amazon.com/Risky-Busines...risky+business

This guy assembled all of TD's score tracks in sequence, and he integrated some that are not available on the soundtrack release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ2OE_Vodgw

Old 08-25-2016, 04:23 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,569,318 times
"All The right moves" and the "Rain man" are my favorite movies by Tom Cruise.
Should of got an Oscar for Rain Man.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 PM

1,548 posts, read 914,999 times
Not a big fan but I liked Mission:Impossible, Valkyrie, War of the Worlds, Minority Report and Oblivion.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:44 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,872,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619
"All The right moves" and the "Rain man" are my favorite movies by Tom Cruise.
Should of got an Oscar for Rain Man.
I havent seen that... Same year as Risky business....... How does it compare to that movie? (I mean is it as good?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies