Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 02:15 PM

16,467 posts, read 12,676,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Theaters haven't opened everywhere. They're still closed in NC. Not sure when I'll feel comfortable going.
Just announced that NC is opening theaters at 30% capacity starting Friday evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 02:22 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,964,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I keep reading that too but what I don't get is this: If your hand is contaminated with covid and you touch your mouth with your hands, you can/might get infected....but if your food is contaminated with covid and it touches your mouth...it's okay...WTF is the logic? I have yet to see a clear explanation to this.
I'm not sure about the exact mechanism of transmission from food. I just know that heat effectively destroys all viruses. That's why I always heat any food I order, just to be safe.

If someone handling food with their hands contaminated with virus, and then you immediately put that food in your mouth...I'm not sure the risk for viral transmission.

That's why everything I order (even cold items) gets microwaved just to be safe (in case there was any viral contamination). If it's a cold item, I'll refrigerate after heating.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:24 PM

10,404 posts, read 8,086,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Waiting for others to chime in...

To me, the whole "masked till seated" protocol is a laughable one. If you sit down and take it off, what's the difference? Air recirculates inside the establishment, no? People don't want to go to a theater for two hours, but they'll go to a restaurant for roughly the same amount of time.
Most people aren't dining in much, either.

But I agree a movie theater is safer than dining indoors at a restaurant, as long as social distancing is used. In a movie theater everyone is facing the same direction, and no one is talking. Those two tings do make a difference. (And to my great surprise, at the last movie I went to people actually WERE keeping their masks on when they weren't eating.)

Old 09-30-2020, 02:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,964,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Loosely - the respiratory tract is susceptible, the digestive tract is considered less susceptible. An infected hand is more likely to touch around the nose -scratching an itch, dislodging a crust, etc. Food goes into the pie hole.

The above is the general thinking. I don't know if it is completely accurate or not. It assumes the nose is not stuffed, forgetting that some people are mouth breathers. It also doesn't address the digestive issues that have become part of the list of possible covid symptoms.

A properly functioning digestive tract is a powerful antimicrobal bit of kit. Crushing, added chemicals, high acidity, high base, more chemicals, a host of helpful bacteria; all allow us to eat a wide variety of otherwise deadly foods. It isn't perfect though.
Right, but the mouth leads to the pharynx, which communicates with both the respiratory and digestive tracts. That's why you are told to avoid touching your face in general (mouth and nose).

Old 10-01-2020, 03:20 AM

12,525 posts, read 8,301,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Once I bought a nice home theater system along with a projector over 12 years ago, I pretty much stopped going to the movie theater. Best money I ever spent. With this COVID, I can't see people going back anytime soon. The only people going will be the ones who don't care about COVID.
And because they don't care the restrictions put on like masking or watching from your car make viewing at home a better experience. Fewer will pay the premium to see it first in a darkroom.

I don't know why the studios would wait for theatres with limited seating the prices can't help but be inflated to account for the vacated seating if they are holding hoping for a blockbuster box office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies