Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 05:09 PM

8,608 posts, read 5,711,354 times

Advertisements

For those who say they won't return to theaters until a vaccine is unleashed, I'm curious:

Have you gone to eat at a restaurant, and once you were seated, removed your mask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 07:14 PM

16,490 posts, read 12,787,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
For those who say they won't return to theaters until a vaccine is unleashed, I'm curious:

Have you gone to eat at a restaurant, and once you were seated, removed your mask?
I've only gone to places where I can eat outdoors and spaced from other diners. We only took our masks off when actively eating.

I won't be eating out once winter hits.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:39 PM

6,032 posts, read 6,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm hoping to go out to the movies sometime in the next week or so, and I hope theaters bounce back well. But it seems crazy to imagine that people will suddenly rush out for the first big movie that opens.
I rushed out to see Tenet couple weeks ago. Actually, I really rushed, because it was in Olympia and I'm eastside Seattle. That's like 60 miles. Took my motorcycle, in rush hour, and the ride was actually rather fun (commute lanes, it's possible to keep moving along through the bottlenecks in Tacoma and JBLM).

That's the original screwball movie and probably flopped, as I fancy myself pretty clever and hip to SF tropes and barely puzzled out what was occurring. Average movie goers would probably walk out. Not tons of people in the theater, it was probably mostly nerds like me for the premier (day before, actually).

Spoiler
Time flowing backward for one team, flowing forward for another, wrapped up where it started...just how it was. A little too self-reverential and indulgent of Christopher Nolan, for my tastes. I don't hold it against him after creating so many crowd-pleasers to date. Think "Memento" on steroids.

...anyway.

Next is Dune, on December 18. In this Marxist-run town, wonder if the schlubs will still have Seattle sufficiently locked down to stop local theaters. I personally think it will take years for the industry to recover, lot of misinformation out there and most people aren't that clever, end of the day.

I'm seeing Dune in IMAX, hell with all of that. Period.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:26 AM

23,061 posts, read 28,642,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Next is Dune, on December 18.
I don't think it's gonna happen. It'll get bumped to next summer.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:20 AM

8,608 posts, read 5,711,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've only gone to places where I can eat outdoors and spaced from other diners. We only took our masks off when actively eating.

I won't be eating out once winter hits.
Waiting for others to chime in...

To me, the whole "masked till seated" protocol is a laughable one. If you sit down and take it off, what's the difference? Air recirculates inside the establishment, no? People don't want to go to a theater for two hours, but they'll go to a restaurant for roughly the same amount of time.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:58 AM
KB4

1,034 posts, read 1,665,633 times
Movie theatres are still closed in our area, although I could probably drive to one across the river. No, I don't think I would feel comfortable going to one right now. Which doesn't make sense as I recently flew to Europe and back. It's a question of priorities, I can watch movies at home, although not the same ones. Let's see how the next couple of months go. Restaurants, so far, have been outdoor seating only, and I've been twice since March.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:23 PM

21,606 posts, read 10,786,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm hoping to go out to the movies sometime in the next week or so, and I hope theaters bounce back well. But it seems crazy to imagine that people will suddenly rush out for the first big movie that opens.

Movie Theaters Returned. Audiences Didn’t. Now What?
People aren’t going to the movies at anywhere close to the numbers that Hollywood hoped, prompting studios to postpone more big releases. Marvel’s “Black Widow” could be the next to retreat.

By Nicole Sperling and Brooks Barnes

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/b...ronavirus.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-now-what.html
Are movie theaters even open in all states? I’ve gone twice since they re-opened and was actually glad they didn’t have that many people for my heath, though it’s probably not good for the health of the industry. Maybe if they had lots of new movies instead of just one with a lot of old movies sprinkled in other theaters.

I went to see Tenet, and then later Mad Mad: Fury Road. I really enjoyed seeing that on the big screen.

EDIT: After reading all the replies I see that movie theaters are definitely not open in all the states. I wore my mask even though my son refused so there’s hardly any point now.

I think the possibility of being lightly exposed to the virus with a mask might not be a bad thing. I saw a doctor referring to a study that’s probably way too small to be really good, but it was saying that people who wore masks and were exposed to Covid tended to get asymptomatic or mild cases. The theory is that people might be getting exposure to a smaller viral load and it triggers an immune response.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913

Last edited by katygirl68; 09-29-2020 at 07:17 PM..

Old 09-29-2020, 06:40 PM

8,851 posts, read 6,027,980 times
It is not surprising at all. Until there is a vaccine, the attendance will be minimal. Even after a vaccine, it will still take a while for people to come back. But until there is a vaccine, movies, flights/traveling/hotels, and many other places will be effectively empty.

It will likely be spring/summer until movies will have somewhat normal crowds.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:52 AM

881 posts, read 822,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post

No restaurant visits since March except for curbside or takeout, fully masked at all times.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:19 AM

744 posts, read 474,113 times
Once I bought a nice home theater system along with a projector over 12 years ago, I pretty much stopped going to the movie theater. Best money I ever spent. With this COVID, I can't see people going back anytime soon. The only people going will be the ones who don't care about COVID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies