Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 AM

744 posts, read 467,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
For those who say they won't return to theaters until a vaccine is unleashed, I'm curious:

Have you gone to eat at a restaurant, and once you were seated, removed your mask?

I stop eating out. Most people aren't clean enough when handling food before COVID but I was willing to look the other way. Now with COVID, I am not taking any chances with anyone touching food that I will put into my body. I'm a clean freak and even watching TV with Professional Chef cook, I still think they aren't clean enough.....I can't imagine some low paying cook or kid handling food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 10:26 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,132,712 times
I will go on a cruise before I go to a theater. At least on the cruise they will require a test within 5 days and do a quick test just before you board.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:55 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,978,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I stop eating out. Most people aren't clean enough when handling food before COVID but I was willing to look the other way. Now with COVID, I am not taking any chances with anyone touching food that I will put into my body. I'm a clean freak and even watching TV with Professional Chef cook, I still think they aren't clean enough.....I can't imagine some low paying cook or kid handling food.
Food is thought to be very low risk for transmission. I have not stepped foot inside a restaurant since the pandemic, but have ordered curbside takeout (occasionally) and mostly delivery (which would have the same risk of food handling).

But all viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, are susceptible to heat and quickly die. So I wipe down all surfaces (containers/boxes), and then all takeout goes into the microwave just to be sure (zaping any potential viruses with microwaves).

Old 09-30-2020, 12:05 PM

6,599 posts, read 8,507,764 times
Quote:
For those who say they won't return to theaters until a vaccine is unleashed, I'm curious:

Have you gone to eat at a restaurant, and once you were seated, removed your mask?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've only gone to places where I can eat outdoors and spaced from other diners. We only took our masks off when actively eating.

I won't be eating out once winter hits.
My husband and I are like hertfordshire - we only go out to eat/drink outdoors and where folks are spaced at least 6' apart. And we go to places that normally don't get over crowded. Farm breweries have been getting a lot of our business these past several months.

We will not be returning to the movie theater for a very long time.

Last edited by HokieFan; 09-30-2020 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-30-2020, 12:50 PM

8,608 posts, read 5,682,128 times
A distance of six feet is no guarantee against transmission. That rule also makes me laugh.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:59 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,978,446 times
Quote:
A distance of six feet is no guarantee against transmission. That rule also makes me laugh.
The 6 feet rule was based on simulated distances that large respiratory droplets could land if someone who has the virus where to sneeze or cough. This was before people were wearing masks.
The general public is paranoid now if someone (even masked) is closer than 6 feet from them, but they don't realize the original intent of the 6 feet rule.

Although, keeping more distance in general is better during this time. 6 feet won't do much good for tiny aerosols in enclosed spaces. The impact of aerosols is much lower outdoors because they cannot concentrate like they can indoors (and theoretically are less likely to be effective in causing infection).

Old 09-30-2020, 01:00 PM

16,469 posts, read 12,700,687 times
Quote:
Nothing is a guarantee against transmission short never leaving your home. It's not about guaranteeing anything. It's about mitigating risks.

Six feet is better than three. Better yet is 10 feet. I try to be as far away as practically possible, but six at a minimum.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:09 PM

8,608 posts, read 5,682,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The 6 feet rule was based on simulated distances that large respiratory droplets could land if someone who has the virus where to sneeze or cough. This was before people were wearing masks.
The general public is paranoid now if someone (even masked) is closer than 6 feet from them, but they don't realize the original intent of the 6 feet rule.

Although, keeping more distance in general is better during this time. 6 feet won't do much good for tiny aerosols in enclosed spaces. The impact of aerosols is much lower outdoors because they cannot concentrate like they can indoors (and theoretically are less likely to be effective in causing infection).
Exactly.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:32 PM

744 posts, read 467,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Food is thought to be very low risk for transmission. I have not stepped foot inside a restaurant since the pandemic, but have ordered curbside takeout (occasionally) and mostly delivery (which would have the same risk of food handling).

But all viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, are susceptible to heat and quickly die. So I wipe down all surfaces (containers/boxes), and then all takeout goes into the microwave just to be sure (zaping any potential viruses with microwaves).

I keep reading that too but what I don't get is this: If your hand is contaminated with covid and you touch your mouth with your hands, you can/might get infected....but if your food is contaminated with covid and it touches your mouth...it's okay...WTF is the logic? I have yet to see a clear explanation to this.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:02 PM

23,705 posts, read 70,967,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I keep reading that too but what I don't get is this: If your hand is contaminated with covid and you touch your mouth with your hands, you can/might get infected....but if your food is contaminated with covid and it touches your mouth...it's okay...WTF is the logic? I have yet to see a clear explanation to this.
Loosely - the respiratory tract is susceptible, the digestive tract is considered less susceptible. An infected hand is more likely to touch around the nose -scratching an itch, dislodging a crust, etc. Food goes into the pie hole.

The above is the general thinking. I don't know if it is completely accurate or not. It assumes the nose is not stuffed, forgetting that some people are mouth breathers. It also doesn't address the digestive issues that have become part of the list of possible covid symptoms.

A properly functioning digestive tract is a powerful antimicrobal bit of kit. Crushing, added chemicals, high acidity, high base, more chemicals, a host of helpful bacteria; all allow us to eat a wide variety of otherwise deadly foods. It isn't perfect though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies