Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,528,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Yesterday is a mild summer movie with a heart and a message.

Its not publicized and it was not even on the theater marque when I saw it with seven other people.

It will probably end up as a cult favorite and the best movie no one saw for 2019.
Weird.
I never go to the movies, and it was the first trailer on before both movies I just saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 08:54 PM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
This is about Yesterday. Please stick to this movie.
Yesterday is about the influence of the Beatles' music. That's what we're discussing. "Strawberry Fields Forever" is a Beatles song. Promise.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:36 AM

871 posts, read 1,129,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have always appreciated the Beatles more than I actually enjoyed them. I'd be a lot more excited for this movie if it involved the Who or the Kinks.
Although they did touch on it a little bit I wish they had explored more on the interesting questions that this premise entails like how the world, the music industry, and our understanding of music would have changed if The Beatles were never a thing.

Of course this would not work on minor acts like The Who or Kinks.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:11 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,736,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Although they did touch on it a little bit I wish they had explored more on the interesting questions that this premise entails like how the world, the music industry, and our understanding of music would have changed if The Beatles were never a thing.

Of course this would not work on minor acts like The Who or Kinks.
Why did the main character look up “Coke” only to not find it? What did the Beatles have to do with “coke”?

Old 07-17-2019, 03:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,310,644 times
Default Yesterday starring Himesh Patel is a Masterpiece

I just saw this movie and need to discuss it with people who felt it equally passionate as I did. It was so respectful of the music and the depth & artistry behind every masterpiece, showcasing the greatest songs. I saw an interview from the director who acknowledged how rare and difficult it is to get permission from The Beatles and all 4 branches of their family members to proceed with licensed material and a movie. This movie was a masterpiece and I cried several times throughout the movie. When John Lennon came out I gasped and tears were pouring down my cheek. It genuinely felt as though John Lennon was alive again and honored, or at least we glimpsed him in heaven. It was so beautiful. I am crying right now while I write this.

I often feel alone living in a world lacking passion these days but clearly the people behind this movie are passionate and it was refreshing to see there are still passionate people somewhere in the world.

It was easy to suspend my disbelief and be fully amerced in the film and imagine experiencing The Beatles music as though we were hearing it for the 1st time. Indeed every person and every generation for the rest of forever deserves to experience The Beatles music for the 1st time. May The Beatles music live forever in every generation and in every heart.

I'm in my forties and the music of The Beatles was honored by my parents in the 1970's through guitar (my dad) and vocals (mom) and it's rare to find people these days who appreciate The Beatles equally. As I came out of the theater many silver-haired people were filing out of the theater too and I felt the depth of their appreciation for the film in their demeanor. It was such a beautiful movie. I rarely see movies these days because it's all loud trash but this was so good and I wish for the film industry and all media to respect humanity with such respect like this in the future.

Last edited by Zelpha; 07-17-2019 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 04:29 PM

10,384 posts, read 8,045,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Why did the main character look up “Coke” only to not find it? What did the Beatles have to do with “coke”?
Nothing. It wasn't just the Beatles which never came about in that world. Coke, cigarettes, and the Harry Potter books also never came to be.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,255,613 times
I enjoyed the movie! And I don’t care for the Beatles. But a world with no Harry Potter?

Old 07-18-2019, 07:27 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,051,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It was about the time change aspect of the world’s blackout
That caused loss of the Beatles w/most inhabitants
As well as other factors of current life in the world after blackout—
Like no Coca Cola products—only Pepsi—and coke was cocaine...
And there was no smoking—
Which I thought was totally unlikely
But it showed the pervasiveness and saturation of Beatles’ music into modern culture because it put Beatles/Coke/smoking on a parity level
All have insinuated themselves into modern (and history w/smoking aspect) culture
Now you can argue the world is a better place because the Beatles came around but you can’t really argue that smoking made the world a “better” place...

Last edited by loves2read; 07-18-2019 at 07:38 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
Default Yesterday (2019)

OK so I went to see this movie yesterday (LOL) and I really, really liked it! The actors aren't big names, but you may recognize some of them. I think it must be a British made movie. OH, AND GET THIS - It's directed by the guy who directed Slumdog Millionaire and is written by the writer of Love Actually. No wonder it's got a tight story line and script!

Anyway, I thought the story line was clever and compelling, and the acting was right on point. The music is great, of course. And I was SHOCKED when a certain man opened a door and appeared. I didn't see that one coming!

This movie is no Schindler's List but it's also not slap stick either - it has a sort of tender, gentle humor to it. It's not violent, it doesn't have much bad language in it, no nudity, and no deep emotional angst or anger going on, but it does have a good story and plot, good acting, and of course terrific music. Definitely worth watching in my opinion, especially if you like the feel of British humor (though it's not strictly a Brit lover's movie). You don't even have to be a Beatles fan but of course that wouldn't hurt!

Here's the trailer:
https://youtu.be/HY0GBmOxyYY

Enjoy!

Old 08-12-2019, 07:45 AM

16,441 posts, read 12,604,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The actors aren't big names, but you may recognize some of them.
Lilly James is getting to be a fairly big name. Cinderella, Mama Mia, Downton Abbey. She's doing fairly well for herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies