Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 07:16 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Saw it last night and although the love scenes were kinda cheesy the music reminded me of the collective genius behind the music. . very enjoyable movie.
I thought it was really an “old fashioned” kind of movie in a good way
Jack was a very conventional kind of guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
I saw it, loved it but seemed too La La Land at times but with the backdrop of The Beatles and their music.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I saw it, loved it but seemed too La La Land at times but with the backdrop of The Beatles and their music.
I didn’t get the LaLa Land drift—
No dancing...

Old 07-12-2019, 07:12 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Do you have to be a Beatles fan to enjoy the movie???

I have always appreciated the Beatles more than I actually enjoyed them. I'd be a lot more excited for this movie if it involved the Who or the Kinks.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:22 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I have always appreciated the Beatles more than I actually enjoyed them. I'd be a lot more excited for this movie if it involved the Who or the Kinks.
Like you, I've had an appreciation for the Beatles, but never really been a fan. I still enjoyed the movie.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:32 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:

My husband doesn't like the Beatles, but really enjoyed this movie.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:45 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I won't say the Beatles are overrated.
I will.

The Beatles are over-rated.

That's perfectly safe to say, since they are often cited as being the greatest rock band of all time, and they just flat-out were not. I really appreciate the influence they had upon popular rock music. Really.

But the Who rocked more and were just as smart lyrically. And you absolutely cannot top Entwistle as a bass player. He didn't just play the bass. He attacked you with it --- all while keeping perfect beat and finding beautiful melodies. And Moon --- at least till the booze destroyed him --- was order by chaos; best rock drummer of all time.

Someone will immediately claim that without the Beatles there never would have been the Who, and that's fair enough, I suppose. But it doesn't change the fact that the Who beat the Beatles at their own game.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:22 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
i think the trailer was better than the movie

Old 07-13-2019, 11:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I didn’t get the LaLa Land drift—
No dancing...
A lack of dancing didn't make Yesterday have a La La Land feel. What did was the plot. The plot between the leads was what made Yesterday have a La La Land feel. What made La La Land so great wasn't just the music but the story. Yesterday took that (up to the end day dream sequence) put in The Beatles for the music. And FYI, I'm NOT knocking Yesterday, just saying there were a few too many ties to La La Land in the love story of it for me to say it was really amazing.

Quote:

I would say yes though you could enjoy it if you appreciated the music of the Fab Four. That said, you'd get more from it as a fan. You should also go in having some appreciation for British comedy. It isn't super into it like say Monty Python or Edgar Wright's Corontto trilogy, but it has a good amount.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:36 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
This is about Yesterday. Please stick to this movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies