Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'll await until we see the movie.

I think the Skrulls and the Kree were good or bad depending on the storyline used at the time. Several Kree were villains and of course Super Skrull was always a villain too. That said, the Skrulls did do Secret Invasion so maybe they were more bad than good. But that is the way I saw it.
But Skrulls in the comics were never downtrodden refugees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
#Skrullslivesmatter!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This was a prime example of where Marvel had the opportunity to actually do something smart, but instead they went simple. In Captain Marvel, they set up a situation that CLEARLY mirrors a lot of real world political situations, be it the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, the Kurdish/Iraqi conflict, the India/Pakistan conflict, the American Indian/U.S. government conflict. They set up a situation to ask some GREAT questions pertinent to our time: What is the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter? When does an oppressed people have the right to take up arms against their oppressor? How far is too far? What line don't you cross? What is the best response from third party allies?

The only Marvel movie I can think of that tried something like this was Captain America: Winter Soldier, where they did a remarkably good job in that movie --- then never brought it up again.

Lots of good stuff they could have done with that. Nope. We got bad guys vs. good guys with no nuance at all.

Already I know people will say, "It's just a comic book movie!"

But even Marvel Comics at their Marvel Comicsiest managed to delve into some of these deeper issues, be it oppressed minorities, drug abuse, the surveillance state, etc. You can still be fun without always being so shallow.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 AM

740 posts, read 455,944 times
I just do not like this 3rd edition Spiderman. I thought the last Spiderman movie was below average. They need to stop rebooting Spiderman.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I just do not like this 3rd edition Spiderman. I thought the last Spiderman movie was below average. They need to stop rebooting Spiderman.
So the question is which would you prefer a 45 year old Peter Parker or letting a 15 year old movie be the last as you move to another character?

Old 05-07-2019, 02:19 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
So the question is which would you prefer a 45 year old Peter Parker or letting a 15 year old movie be the last as you move to another character?
Exactly. I think Tom Holland is closest to the original interpretation of the comic book Peter Parker, and he plays the role great. The look of the new Spider-Man, due to the advancement of cgi, is the best version on the big screen. The support characters could be a little better, but this installment of Spider-Man is great.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:05 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Exactly. I think Tom Holland is closest to the original interpretation of the comic book Peter Parker, and he plays the role great. The look of the new Spider-Man, due to the advancement of cgi, is the best version on the big screen. The support characters could be a little better, but this installment of Spider-Man is great.
Yeah, while I did love Raimi's movies, this movie version IS Spider-Man. He maybe had another high school movie left if they extend the contract, but this is the high school Peter Parker that Amazing Spider-Man tried to be but didn't end up that way. Trump's was in high school for a brief few minutes.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:39 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,985 times
I'm not looking for it to it, since the last Spider-man movie I didn't think was that good, but I'll wait to see what others say. Why do they feel they have to keep rebooting it anyway? The already got it right with Spider-man 2 and The Amazing Spider-man, which I thought were probably the best ones, why do they feel that they have to keep trying?

Old 05-11-2019, 11:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
I dont like Tom Holland as Spiderman, imo, the guy who played it best was that guy who was in Hacksaw Ridge (cannot think of his name right now), he is tall and lanky, has a quirky sense of humor, I think he only played spiderman in one movie, but I definitely liked him the best.

I also do not like the constant rebooting of this character either.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:57 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,614,820 times
I think Holland was hired because he sounds like a nutless wonder. He should join a Journey tribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies