Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 05:11 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,077,131 times

Advertisements

Which one do you think is better? It's probably been done before on here, but this is my opinion of comparing one to the other.

SPOILERS

In Spider-man I like how it opens up but once Peter is infected I thought he was probably too happy about recieving his powers and wasn't freaked out enough. Perhaps that's not a large complaint. But I also did not like the love between Peter, Mary Jane, and Harry. I felt it didn't add anything at all, especially since you know Peter is going to get Mary Jane in the end, and the triangle is going to be completely forgotten about.

I know the it has to be a challenge for the main character to get the girl, I just didn't think adding another guy in with the challenge was necessary, as oppose to the challenge of trying to get a single girl in comparison.

When Peter confronts the man who killed his uncle, then man backs up trips, over a pipe, and falls out the window. I thought this was too convenient. The writers didn't want to write it so that Peter kills the guy, but they also didn't want the guy to escape and be continue to be part of the story. So they just said, hey let's have him conveniently and randomly trip over a pipe and die to get rid of this part of the plot. I felt it could have been handled better.

I also really like Willem Dafoe's performance but I felt the Green Goblin character was somewhat underdeveloped, and you don't really know what his plan is or what he wants to do. You know he wants to get Spider-man out of the way, so he can execute whatever evil plan he has. But you don't know what he wants to do at all, and they never reveal that.

As for the positive's I do like the a lot of the origin story part of it, such as the wrestling portion. And I love J. Jonah Jamison.

When it comes to The Amazing Spider-man, I thought that the way Peter receives his powers was better handled. I also like how he never finds his Uncle's killer, and decides to be a hero and protect people, after hearing the lecture from Captain Stacy, which I thought was a great character develop for Peter.

I also felt that The Lizard was a better villain than the Green Goblin and thought he was better developed.

I felt that the story built towards a much better climax and ending, without introducing things like a love triangle that didn't do anything for me. It was much more taut I thought. The cons are we have no wrestling subplot, which I liked the in the first one. I also like how Peter took more time to develop his powers, where as in the first one, he mastered them too fast per say.

The downside of this one is that it introduces Norman Osborne by telling and showing and then they just forget about him, when I felt this subplot needed more development to be a great movie, instead of just a good movie. I also felt that the man who was The Lizard's boss that blackmailed him was not forgotten about after the bridge fight. But still a better movie than the former.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 07:51 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,359 times
Easily Spider-Man 2002. Not just because of nostalgia, but because it was obvious that 2012 was just a cash cow with no real writing or passion in it.

I kinda even liked Tobey as Peter over Garfield. Peter Parker is supposed to be a geeky guy but got a bit more confident when he became Spider-Man. Garfield's version was already kinda cocky and arrogant before he became Spider-man, which felt off.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:11 AM

22,930 posts, read 28,306,592 times
They're both okay. I liked both. Neither wowed me.

As much as I like Tobey Maguire, he was too old for the part. Parker should be a high school kid. But the movie was fun.

No big screen Spidey adaptations have been perfect. Not yet. Nor on the small screen come to think of it.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Easily Spider-Man 2002. Not just because of nostalgia, but because it was obvious that 2012 was just a cash cow with no real writing or passion in it.

I kinda even liked Tobey as Peter over Garfield. Peter Parker is supposed to be a geeky guy but got a bit more confident when he became Spider-Man. Garfield's version was already kinda cocky and arrogant before he became Spider-man, which felt off.
But that's the thing though, I felt the story in TMS is possibly more solid, with unnecessary elements from the previous one removed, and the villain, The Lizard, I felt was more solid and had more motivation than The Green Goblin.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:49 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But that's the thing though, I felt the story in TMS is possibly more solid, with unnecessary elements from the previous one removed, and the villain, The Lizard, I felt was more solid and had more motivation than The Green Goblin.
I just felt like everything in the 2002 Spider-Man flowed very well as was more true to the comic, while the new one was cool, but I didn't see "Peter Parker" when I saw Andrew Garfield. I also had no problem with te Osbourne's in the movie. Like the dinner scene when Osbourne was at Peters house for dinner and the blood dropped. The 2002 just had memorable scenes in it that the 2012 version didn't really have.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:02 AM

I haven't read the comics so I can only go into the movies as a newcomer. I felt that both actors did a good job, but in different ways, with different sides of the character.

But I felt that the unnecessary love triangle with Harry killed the pacing, since you know the girl is going to choose Peter in the end, so I felt there was no point to it. The scene where Norman sees the blood is good, but it's centered around the love triangle, with the Thanksgiving dinner and all, so the scene does not work so well because of the situation it's centered in, if that makes sense.

I also felt that the romance scenes between Peter and Gwen Stacy were written better, as Gwen had much better chemistry with Peter Parker, than Mary Jane did in the first one I felt.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,627,286 times
The only major thing Raimi's film missed was Peter creating his webshooters. Otherwise, it's the better movie.

And I still think Tobey is the best big screen Peter/Spidey. I don't like the new guy at all.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,554,472 times
The Amazing Spider Man was the best IMO. The second one too many villains at once for me didn't care for that at all. Loved the first Spider Man with Keith but Andrew to me embraced the role better would of liked to seen more of him. HATED And I mean HATED Homecoming he never shut up! I know he was written that way but ughhh way to much for me. It felt like I was watching something the WB would do like Super girl. As I said in another post I felt like I was watching just as much Iron Man as I was Spider man. Didn't care for the kid either.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:21 PM

I didn't like Homecoming, not that it was the actor's fault for me, I just thought it wasn't that well written overall.

When you say you like the first one with Keith, who is Keith?

Last edited by ironpony; 01-27-2019 at 11:32 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 11:34 AM

740 posts, read 458,213 times
I'm not a fan of Tobey but with each new reboot, it got worse and worse. The current Spiderman movie is the worst (in my opinion). I know a lot of people like the current Spiderman but I'm not a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies