Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times

Advertisements

Leading up to Sunday night's award ceremony, what are your predictions regarding the field of nominees?

(Yes, I know some of you don't care of the Oscars and have all sorts of criticisms (many political). We get it. I'd like to respectfully ask that the discussion focus on the nominees and predicted winners.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Best Picture
My personal favorite is Call Me By Your Name, but I don't think it has much chance of winning. I think this one will go to Three Billboards or Lady Bird. I read that Variety is predicting Get Out, which is a bit of a head-scratcher for me.

Best Actor
Again, Timothee Chalamet is my sentimental favorite, but it seems this one's going to Gary Oldman.

Best Actress
This seems to be Frances McDormand's year. And I think she's deserving. I'd give runner up to Sally Hawkins.

Actor - Supporting
I only saw three of the movies represented ... I actually preferred Woody's perfomance a bit more than Sam's, but I'd be happy with either.

Actress - Supporting
I ADORE Allison Janney, so I won't even consider anyone else ;-)

Directing
This is a tough one to call. del Toro and Gerwig seem to be the favorites, but I think Peele has a really strong chance. I didn't care for the movie, but I think the directing was spot on.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:01 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Best Picture
My personal favorite is Call Me By Your Name, but I don't think it has much chance of winning. I think this one will go to Three Billboards or Lady Bird. I read that Variety is predicting Get Out, which is a bit of a head-scratcher for me.

Best Actor
Again, Timothee Chalamet is my sentimental favorite, but it seems this one's going to Gary Oldman.
I agree with you on these since I adore Timothée and Call Me By Your Name. I’m not really invested in any of the other categories, but I am hoping that Call Me By Your Name wins something...even if it’s just Best Adapted Screenplay or Best Original Song.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:51 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I agree with you on these since I adore Timothée and Call Me By Your Name. I’m not really invested in any of the other categories, but I am hoping that Call Me By Your Name wins something...even if it’s just Best Adapted Screenplay or Best Original Song.
I really didn't like his character in Lady Bird so I still haven't seen Call Me by Your name. I heard it is great though.

My predictions:

Best Picture: Probably 3 Billboards. It was really good.

Best actress: Frances McDormand

Best actor: Gary Oldman

Supporting actress: Allison Janney

Supporting actor: Sam Rockwell (I liked Woody Harrelson better in the movie but Sam killed it in this role).

Adapted screenplay: Call me by your name or Mudbound

Original screenplay: Lady Bird or 3 Billboards

Director: I want Greta Gerwig to win but I feel del Toro will likely win this one.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:44 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
All the major categories are pretty much locks. There isn't any room for surprise.

BP: 3 Billboards or The Shape of Water

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Actor: Oldman

Actress: McDormand

Supporting Actor: Rockwell

Supporting Actress: Janney

Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name

Original Screenplay: 3 Billboards

Old 03-02-2018, 10:03 AM

Interesting trivia about this year's Oscars ...

There are four actors who appear in two or more of the films nominated for Best Picture.

Caleb Landry Jones played the brother Jeremy in "Get Out"
He also played Red in "Three Billboards"

Robbie in "Three Billboards" was played by Lucas Hedges
He also played Danny, the first boyfriend in "Lady Bird"

The second boyfriend in "Lady Bird" Kyle was played by Timothee Chalamet
He of course also played Elio in "Call Me By Your Name"

Elio's father in "Call Me By Your Name" was played by Michael Stuhlbarg.
He also played Abe Rosenthal in The Post
And he also played Dr. Hoffstetler in "The Shape of Water"

Seems these guys were all pretty smart when picking movies to appear in!

Old 03-02-2018, 05:59 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
up until a few years ago we would see all the Oscar nominated films every year because we love movies. this year, the only two nominated films we saw were get out, free on cable, and Dunkirk, in imax at the theater. both were entertaining movies, but neither films or the actors will stand the test of time for 'great'.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:38 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Best Picture

Best Actor

Best Actress
This seems to be Frances McDormand's year. And I think she's deserving. I'd give runner up to Sally Hawkins.

Actor - Supporting
I only saw three of the movies represented ... I actually preferred Woody's perfomance a bit more than Sam's, but I'd be happy with either.

Actress - Supporting
I ADORE Allison Janney, so I won't even consider anyone else ;-)

Directing
This is a tough one to call. del Toro and Gerwig seem to be the favorites, but I think Peele has a really strong chance. I didn't care for the movie, but I think the directing was spot on.
Each year I write down what I refer to as the 'major nominations' when they are announced (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Adapted Screenplay)

In the old days of a maximum of 5 Best Picture nominees, there were 40 such nominations. Now the number fluctuates between 40 and 45.

I usually look at he list I've written out within a week or so of the nominations to determine how manie movies are included re those major nominations. In one recent year, it was only 12 or 13.

This year I waited until Wednesday, February 21st .

This year, those 44 nominations include 18 movies, and by 2/21 I hadn't seen any of them.

Every year it has been in existence, I've purchased the Cinemark Oscar Pass, so I then determine how many of the major nominations weren't 'covered' by best picture nominees, and how I will try to see movies that represent those other nominations.

IIRC, in the past, the Oscar Pass has covered a 10 day or 2 week period. This year...only one week, although the price was only $35 (I think it was $40 last year ).

33 of the 44 'major nominations' = 'covered' by the 9 Best Picture nominees, and 9 movies are represented in the other 11 'major nominations'. Of the 18, 16 = viewable (at least in Texas) before the Ceremony on March 4th (all but Mudbound , and All The Money In The World), that include 41 of the 44 'major nominations'.

I was able to catch the last showing in the Houston metro of 'Molly's Game' a week ago Thursday night (2/22) at the NASA 8 Dollar theater.

On Friday night (2/23) I saw 'I, Tonya', and afterward rented (from a Redbox): The Florida Project, Logan, The Big Sick, and Roman J. Israel, Esq., and viewed all of those, returning them to the Redbox by Saturday night (2/24).

I purchased the Oscar Pass, and saw all of the first showings of the 9 Best Picture nominees from Monday 2/26 through Thursday 3/1...

Monday night -- The Shape of Water, then Get Out
Tuesday night -- The Post, then Lady Bird
Wednesday night -- Darkest Hour, then Dunkirk
Thursday night -- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, then Phantom Thread, then Call Me By Your Name

The last (16th) is The Disaster Artist, and it is only available for purchase right now (not rentable until after the Academy Awards) on iTunes...so I may wait until after the ceremony. So the 15 I've seen so far cover 40 of the 44 'major nominations'.

Best Picture -- I enjoyed all 9 of them, but 'thoroughly' enjoyed 7 of them (Get Out + 3 Billboards excepted). To me, the top tier belonged to two movies, The Shape of Water and Call Me By Your Name. The Shape of Water was just so original, and so well done. In a human sense (as much as any straight person can say) Call Me By Your Name struck all the right chords.. I'm about the same age as Armie Hammer's character, and I spent a good chunk of time in Italy in the 1980s with Italians similar to those depicted in the movie. I think the filmmakers did a great job capturing that slice of time in that location. I was also very partial to the music (Classical, as well as 80s (The Psychadelic Furs, etc.). I think The Shape of Water should win, but Call Me By My Name would be great as well. My 'second tier' includes Lady Bird, The Post, and Phantom Thread. Next (3rd tier) would be Dunkirk, and then (4th tier) Darkest Hour, with (as mentioned before) Get Out and 3 Billboards occupying the last tier.

Best Director -- Guillermo Del Toro should probably win for The Shape of Water, followed by a second tier of Greta Gerwig for Lady Bird, Christopher Nolan for Dunkirk, and Paul Thomas Anderson for Phantom Thread, and with Jordan Peele for Get Out occupying the third tier. Honestly though, I would be happy with any of those particular five winning.

Best Actor -- Gary Oldman should get it. He nailed Churchill to a degree that is reminiscent of how (looking back to the past) Daniel Day-Lewis seemed to nail Lincoln. If Oldman doesn't get it, then it should be Timothee Chalamet for his portrayal of Elio in Call Me By Your Name.

Best Actress -- I think, hands down, Sally Hawkins should win for The Shape of Water. Many seem to think that Frances McDormand should win, but I would put her (this time) at 5th out of 5....and I'm a huge Frances McDormand fan.

Best Supporting Actor -- I didn't see Christopher Plummer's performance in All The Money In The World but, given that caveat, I agree with many others that the category is a lock and that Sam Rockwell should win for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Best Supporting Actress -- I didn't see Mary J. Blige's performance in Mudbound but, given that caveat, I agree with many others that the category is a lock this year and that Allison Janney should win for her portrayal of Tonya Harding's mother in I, Tonya. Janney owned that role.

Best Original Screenplay -- I think The Shape of Water should win. I'd put Lady Bird, Get Out, and The Big Sick in a second tier, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri in the third tier.

Best Adapted Screenplay -- I haven't seen The Disaster Artist, nor Mudbound. Of the other three....Call Me By Your name, Logan, and Molly's Game....I would be happy with any of the three winning.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:41 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Interesting trivia about this year's Oscars ...

There are four actors who appear in two or more of the films nominated for Best Picture.

Caleb Landry Jones played the brother Jeremy in "Get Out"
He also played Red in "Three Billboards"

Robbie in "Three Billboards" was played by Lucas Hedges
He also played Danny, the first boyfriend in "Lady Bird"

The second boyfriend in "Lady Bird" Kyle was played by Timothee Chalamet
He of course also played Elio in "Call Me By Your Name"

Elio's father in "Call Me By Your Name" was played by Michael Stuhlbarg.
He also played Abe Rosenthal in The Post
And he also played Dr. Hoffstetler in "The Shape of Water"

Seems these guys were all pretty smart when picking movies to appear in!
Yeah, I noticed. I don't remember this ever happening to this degree.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
up until a few years ago we would see all the Oscar nominated films every year because we love movies. this year, the only two nominated films we saw were get out, free on cable, and Dunkirk, in imax at the theater. both were entertaining movies, but neither films or the actors will stand the test of time for 'great'.
I agree--
Get Out I think is topical at the right time but not that great a movie---if people are honest about its quality
Dunkirk was just not as good as something like "Saving Private Ryan" or "A Bridge Too Far"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies