Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 09:01 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,036,957 times

Advertisements

It's not as fun to predict the winners since there are so many awards shows nowadays and you see the same person winning for 2 months prior.
I think best picture is the only possible upset with Get Out, otherwise I expect to see the same names of the past months called
McDormand, Oldman, Rockwell, Janney, del Toro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,014,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Each year I write down what I refer to as the 'major nominations' when they are announced (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Adapted Screenplay)

In the old days of a maximum of 5 Best Picture nominees, there were 40 such nominations. Now the number fluctuates between 40 and 45.

I usually look at he list I've written out within a week or so of the nominations to determine how manie movies are included re those major nominations. In one recent year, it was only 12 or 13.

This year I waited until Wednesday, February 21st .

This year, those 44 nominations include 18 movies, and by 2/21 I hadn't seen any of them.

Every year it has been in existence, I've purchased the Cinemark Oscar Pass, so I then determine how many of the major nominations weren't 'covered' by best picture nominees, and how I will try to see movies that represent those other nominations.

IIRC, in the past, the Oscar Pass has covered a 10 day or 2 week period. This year...only one week, although the price was only $35 (I think it was $40 last year ).

33 of the 44 'major nominations' = 'covered' by the 9 Best Picture nominees, and 9 movies are represented in the other 11 'major nominations'. Of the 18, 16 = viewable (at least in Texas) before the Ceremony on March 4th (all but Mudbound , and All The Money In The World), that include 41 of the 44 'major nominations'.

I was able to catch the last showing in the Houston metro of 'Molly's Game' a week ago Thursday night (2/22) at the NASA 8 Dollar theater.

On Friday night (2/23) I saw 'I, Tonya', and afterward rented (from a Redbox): The Florida Project, Logan, The Big Sick, and Roman J. Israel, Esq., and viewed all of those, returning them to the Redbox by Saturday night (2/24).

I purchased the Oscar Pass, and saw all of the first showings of the 9 Best Picture nominees from Monday 2/26 through Thursday 3/1...

Monday night -- The Shape of Water, then Get Out
Tuesday night -- The Post, then Lady Bird
Wednesday night -- Darkest Hour, then Dunkirk
Thursday night -- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, then Phantom Thread, then Call Me By Your Name

The last (16th) is The Disaster Artist, and it is only available for purchase right now (not rentable until after the Academy Awards) on iTunes...so I may wait until after the ceremony. So the 15 I've seen so far cover 40 of the 44 'major nominations'.

read interesting article on The Verge about the influence of Rotten Tomatoes' scoring in nudging Academy members into choosing films that w/o that rating might not have gotten enough first place votes to be considered in Best Picture category vs say Best Original Screenplan where art-film, independent films used to wind up before say 2005...now the article argued because the choices are fewer, it is more difficult for a good/great film to get into Screen Play category than Best Picture

Best Picture -- I enjoyed all 9 of them, but 'thoroughly' enjoyed 7 of them (Get Out + 3 Billboards excepted). To me, the top tier belonged to two movies, The Shape of Water and Call Me By Your Name. The Shape of Water was just so original, and so well done. In a human sense (as much as any straight person can say) Call Me By Your Name struck all the right chords.. I'm about the same age as Armie Hammer's character, and I spent a good chunk of time in Italy in the 1980s with Italians similar to those depicted in the movie. I think the filmmakers did a great job capturing that slice of time in that location. I was also very partial to the music (Classical, as well as 80s (The Psychadelic Furs, etc.). I think The Shape of Water should win, but Call Me By My Name would be great as well. My 'second tier' includes Lady Bird, The Post, and Phantom Thread. Next (3rd tier) would be Dunkirk, and then (4th tier) Darkest Hour, with (as mentioned before) Get Out and 3 Billboards occupying the last tier.

I have not seen The Florida Project or Call Me by My Name (hate Armie Hammar) but did see the rest...Thought this is strong field--Personally I would have included Captain Underpants--I thought that was one of the best movies I saw and so was The Big Sick--more deserving than Dunkirk which was a real disappointment...Get Out I consider more topical than intrinsically great---right topic at the right time...
Phantom Thread had performances but not a cohesive whole IMO
Ladybird and Shape of Water are top 2--then Three Billboards and Phantom Thread...

Best Director -- Guillermo Del Toro should probably win for The Shape of Water, followed by a second tier of Greta Gerwig for Lady Bird, Christopher Nolan for Dunkirk, and Paul Thomas Anderson for Phantom Thread, and with Jordan Peele for Get Out occupying the third tier. Honestly though, I would be happy with any of those particular five winning.
Del Toro or Gerwig -- Dunkirk just didn't cut it --Spielberg might be dark horse as political message

Best Actor -- Gary Oldman should get it. He nailed Churchill to a degree that is reminiscent of how (looking back to the past) Daniel Day-Lewis seemed to nail Lincoln. If Oldman doesn't get it, then it should be Timothee Chalamet for his portrayal of Elio in Call Me By Your Name.
Oldman, I think...Lewis was always compelling but movie was hot mess--Washington really pulled out all the stops but movie not that successful

Best Actress -- I think, hands down, Sally Hawkins should win for The Shape of Water. Many seem to think that Frances McDormand should win, but I would put her (this time) at 5th out of 5....and I'm a huge Frances McDormand fan.
Hawkins #1 and Ronan #2--she was believable as a teen...No so Robbie--too old, too big physically for Harding--and her teeth were especially off putting. Streep I thought was excellent but her reputation is her enemy...and McDormand was not best served by her script and I am big fan as well

Best Supporting Actor -- I didn't see Christopher Plummer's performance in All The Money In The World but, given that caveat, I agree with many others that the category is a lock and that Sam Rockwell should win for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
Didn't see Dafoe in Florida Project---Rockwell was excellent--as good as in "The Green Mile"
Think Richard Jenkins could be dark horse for "Shape of Water"
If Plummer (who was great) wins, was it for performance or for stepping into the breach??

Best Supporting Actress -- I didn't see Mary J. Blige's performance in Mudbound but, given that caveat, I agree with many others that the category is a lock this year and that Allison Janney should win for her portrayal of Tonya Harding's mother in I, Tonya. Janney owned that role.
Didn't see Blige but Janney's role was pretty much one note--not her fault and she was great in it but Laurie Metcalf has my vote for Ladybird. Mandeville's role was less than her talent...reminded me of Judith Anderson/Mrs. Danvers in "Rebecca"...
I wish Holly Hunter had been nominated for The Big Sick...

Best Original Screenplay -- I think The Shape of Water should win. I'd put Lady Bird, Get Out, and The Big Sick in a second tier, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri in the third tier.
If Lady Bird wins for this then Shape of Water has Best Picture IMO.

Best Adapted Screenplay -- I haven't seen The Disaster Artist, nor Mudbound. Of the other three....Call Me By Your name, Logan, and Molly's Game....I would be happy with any of the three winning.
Only saw Logan and Molly's Game--I thought Molly's Game was better although I know Logan received lot of critical acclaim

Old 03-03-2018, 08:57 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,255,473 times
The safest bets are The Shape of Water winning directing and production categories, and Billboards winning writing and acting categories. Plus long-overdue Oscars for Gary Oldman and Roger Deakins.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:16 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,308,428 times
I think it is a little predictable this year, but there could be an upset or two.

Best Picture: The Shape of Water, or a long shot upset -- Get Out

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Actor: Gary Oldman

Actress: Frances McDormand

Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell, with a possible upset by Willem Dafoe

Supporting Actress: Allison Janney

Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name

Original Screenplay: 3 Billboards or Get Out

Also will go out on a limb and predict that Jimmy Kimmel will be funny.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,634,208 times
The reaction of the industry studded audience might not be a harbinger, but I wonder, given the reaction Jordan Peele got for his win and speech for Best Original Screenplay for Get Out, if Get Out might likely win Best Picture and Best Director?

Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 PM

16,434 posts, read 12,583,926 times
I was pleasantly surprised by Peele's win. Not sure it means anything for Best Picture or Director, but I could be wrong.

Best Song was a big head scratcher for me. I love the Lopezes, but wow. No.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by Peele's win. Not sure it means anything for Best Picture or Director, but I could be wrong.

Best Song was a big head scratcher for me. I love the Lopezes, but wow. No.
You're right, it didn't for Director. I'm glad Guillermo Del Toro won

Edit: Oldman's speech was long, but I liked it. Wow...his mother is still alive at age 99.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I think it is a little predictable this year, but there could be an upset or two.

Best Picture: The Shape of Water, or a long shot upset -- Get Out

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Actor: Gary Oldman

Actress: Frances McDormand

Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell, with a possible upset by Willem Dafoe

Supporting Actress: Allison Janney

Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name

Original Screenplay: 3 Billboards or Get Out

Also will go out on a limb and predict that Jimmy Kimmel will be funny.
SMDH, and I love Frances McDormand.

You've been spot on re the above ^^^^^. I hope that holds for the last one, The Shape of Water for Best Picture.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
SMDH, and I love Frances McDormand.

You've been spot on re the above ^^^^^. I hope that holds for the last one, The Shape of Water for Best Picture.
Woo Hoo!

Old 03-04-2018, 09:52 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,036,957 times
Frances is my everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies