Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,649,231 times

Advertisements

Jimmy Kimmel wasn't funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:19 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,669,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Frances is my everything!
She was charmingly eccentric.

I didn't see Three Billboards but it was heavily favored to win. I did see both Pan's Labyrinth and The Shape of Water and I thought that Pan's Labyrinth was much more deserving of Best Picture than TSOW.

For the second year, I think that politically correct thinking chose the Best Picture winner.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:27 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,014,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
She was charmingly eccentric.

I didn't see Three Billboards but it was heavily favored to win. I did see both Pan's Labyrinth and The Shape of Water and I thought that Pan's Labyrinth was much more deserving of Best Picture than TSOW.

For the second year, I think that politically correct thinking chose the Best Picture winner.
If politically correct thinking chose Best Picture then "Get Out" should have won or "Lady Bird" with writing, direction, and main character all female...

No real surprises in the winners---too bad
The best part was Kimmel revealing the prize for the shortest acceptance speech

The Oscars have too much "self-love" in the extravagant settings for Best Song nominees and the film clip pastiches announcing the nominated categories
And frankly I didn't enjoy the visit to the other theater---just another way to make this show "different"...
If they really want to streamline their ceremony, get a less verbose host (he wasn't as funny as previous hosting) and do some self-editing...

Old 03-05-2018, 06:54 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,669,878 times
A survey of 30 journalists were unanimous on three of the top awards. The front runner also won for Supporting Awards. But the distant second prediction won for Best Picture.

30 Best Director: Guillermo Del Toro The Shape of Water
30 Best Actress: Frances McDormand Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
30 Best Actor: Gary Oldman Darkest Hour

Best Supporting Actress
23 Allison Janney I, Tonya
6 Laurie Metcalf Lady Bird
1 Lesley Manville Phantom Thread

Best Supporting Actor
28 Sam Rockwell Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2 Willem Dafoe The Florida Project

Best Picture
15 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
7 The Shape of Water
7 Get Out
1 Lady Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If politically correct thinking chose Best Picture then "Get Out" should have won or "Lady Bird" with writing, direction, and main character all female...
No real surprises in the winners---too bad
I think that BP was big surprise. Not as much as last year, but still a surprise.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 03-05-2018 at 07:04 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 09:18 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,067,150 times
Quote:
And you think "Shape of Water" WASN'T politically correct???....Let's see - a physically handicapped woman with a gay male mentor and a racially victimized black woman who winds up in a romantic, loving relationship with an alien (shout out to illegal aliens??), chased & persecuted by the extremely bad & evil white (of course) male aggressor. Yeah.....No PC there!!!...LMAO.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:36 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,014,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
And you think "Shape of Water" WASN'T politically correct???....Let's see - a physically handicapped woman with a gay male mentor and a racially victimized black woman who winds up in a romantic, loving relationship with an alien (shout out to illegal aliens??), chased & persecuted by the extremely bad & evil white (of course) male aggressor. Yeah.....No PC there!!!...LMAO.
I meant that there were plenty of movies if they had won could have been labeled "politically correct" choices--
The Post, Dunkirk, and Darkest Hour were most conventional/traditional nominees and really never stood a chance of winning Best Picture...

Why are you so angry>
Shape of Water benefitted from great performances---
Sally Hawkins was surely as tremendous portraying a woman w/o a voice who was articulate, intelligent, and compassionate as McDormand was as a woman shouting to the heavens because of grief and anger...

Shape of Water had a great script (although it stole from many) and direction
Same could be said of most other nominees...

While this year's winners were fairly predictable, there was a strong field in almost any category---
It was a good year for quality films---
Too bad there are so many weeks to fill on the calendar...

My hope is that companies will be willing to take more of a chance on some "odd ball" choices and avoid giving us films that might make money at the boxoffice but offer little real quality...
Of course the conventional answer is that movies that make money make funding for other less-profitable films possible---but I don't know that is really true any more
Access to the boxoffice is the real power in Hollywood---getting films IN theaters is as important as getting them made at all...

Old 03-05-2018, 10:46 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times
I was hoping Del Toro would get Best Director. He did.

It was down to The Shape of Water and that Billboards movie for Best Picture. The outcome pleased me.

But I was really jazzed over Blade Runner 2049 picking up the awards it deserved for visuals and cinematography (Deakins). That was awesome.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:43 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,067,150 times
Quote:
I meant that there were plenty of movies if they had won could have been labeled "politically correct" choices--
The Post, Dunkirk, and Darkest Hour were most conventional/traditional nominees and really never stood a chance of winning Best Picture...

Why are you so angry>
Sally Hawkins was surely as tremendous portraying a woman w/o a voice who was articulate, intelligent, and compassionate as McDormand was as a woman shouting to the heavens because of grief and anger...

While this year's winners were fairly predictable, there was a strong field in almost any category---

My hope is that companies will be willing to take more of a chance on some "odd ball" choices and avoid giving us films that might make money at the boxoffice but offer little real quality...
Of course the conventional answer is that movies that make money make funding for other less-profitable films possible---but I don't know that is really true any more
Access to the boxoffice is the real power in Hollywood---getting films IN theaters is as important as getting them made at all...
I'm not angry.....just pointing out the undeniable truth - Shape of Water was a politically correct film that checked off all the boxes: A female who had a physical handicapped and is "abused" in life - CHECK, a black female who is racially victimized by (white) society - CHECK , a misunderstood & persecuted "being" (insert "gay", "transgender", "illegal immigrant", etc here..any will fit) - CHECK, and the evildoer, lacking in any redeeming qualities, "abuser"- the bad, bad white (always) man - CHECK

And, you're right when you say that those other movies didn't have a chance. That's because political correctness DID factor in to the best picture award win by Shape Of Water.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:41 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,634,208 times
Quote:

Why are you so angry>

I especially agree re the bolded. Some movies only make it into VERY few theaters, as a test if you will, and...from what I've observed...usually only in some combination of LA, the SF Bay Area, and NYC. That was one perk, IMO, re living in the Southland (LA/OC++) and the Bay Area (I've never lived in NYC).

Old 03-05-2018, 04:50 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,634,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I was hoping Del Toro would get Best Director. He did.

It was down to The Shape of Water and that Billboards movie for Best Picture. The outcome pleased me.

But I was really jazzed over Blade Runner 2049 picking up the awards it deserved for visuals and cinematography (Deakins). That was awesome.
I did not want McDormand to win Best Actress (love her, but put her 5th in this particular race...I wanted Sally Hawkins to win).

I also wanted The Shape of Water to win Best Picture.

I prefer what ended up being the end result (McDormand/Actress, TSOW/Picture) to one alternative of Sally Hawkins winning for Best Actress and 3 Billboards winning Best Picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies