Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 11:43 AM

525 posts, read 279,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I agree. I'm not into superhero Marvel movies but I enjoyed every second of the movie.
Yeah I enjoyed the whole thing as well. Superhero is one of my favorite movie genres, along with animation and comedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 12:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Yeah I enjoyed the whole thing as well. Superhero is one of my favorite movie genres, along with animation and comedy.
While I love superhero movies, this one was not that special. It was good, but it was just another superhero movie. It did not have a lot of the typical quotable funny lines or vignettes. It did not have anything particularly fresh or surprising. If you said it was a superhero movie, I could have accurately described the basic plotline without knowing anything else about the movie. It was too serious, and a superhero movie trying to be serious is just silly. I am not saying it was bad, just average. I enjoyed most of it (a few parts were slow) but it was not one of the better ones in my opinion.

As for finest movie of the year? I have seen two movies this year and Game Night was more entertaining than Black Panther. Both were good. Neither was great, but Game night was better. Game night also had better acting over all (although it has several actors who were bad, a few were superb, where BP had overall decent acting with no real superb characters and nothing really bad).

Old 03-13-2018, 01:27 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We subscribe to netflix and we have amazon prime for other reasons but they have some free shows and movies. We use cable for internet only. Still our cable bill is $100 a month cheaper than it was for basic HD cable and internet. However they keep sneaking up the charge for internet when we are not looking and if you do nto get ont them every three week they slow down your speed and hope you will not notice they are not giving you what you pay for. Th only thing keeping us form switching to Xfinity is we do not have a telephone line to our house, and we have our E-mail through the cable internet service and everyone we know uses that address as well as having a ton of password protected accounts tied to it.
You might want to consider getting Sling TV. I have home phone plus internet with AT&T for $46 a month, then pay I $20 for Sling's basic Orange package so I can have cable, which includes AMC, TBS, CNN, Cartoon Network, Epix Movies, several ESPN channels, HGTV and Comedy Central. I also have Netflix and a Roku for streaming which has lots of free stuff on it as well. The next package up on Sling TV with even more channels is only $25 per month. You can rent thousands of movies on Sling. You can also add HBO and Showtime for an additional $15 each and other packages for an additional $5 to $10 per month. There is no contract and you can stop and restart it anytime you want. For local TV, I have a digital TV antenna.

My total monthly expense for home phone, internet, Sling and Netflix is $76, and when things are tight, I cancel my Sling and restart it as needed.

The only downside to Sling is that you can only watch it on one device at a time. The cool things is, if the family is watching something on Netflix, I can watch Sling on my computer.

The internet companies always sneak up a hike, but I know I can at least keep cable consistent with Sling.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
OTOH, I can see subscribing to several streaming services and still needing an Internet provider winding up being no saving.
And that's the way the Internet companies have designed it because since so many people are cutting cable, they jacked up their internet prices. And with the excuse that "everyone" is suppose to want the higher speeds, etc.(I've actually had one phone rep tell me this.) However, the truth is(and common sense tells you) that not "everyone" wants the higher internet speeds(and the higher prices that go along with them) because some people don't stream and just use the internet and therefore, don't need the super-duper internet speeds. Plus, some people have different budgets and different incomes and not everyone wants or can afford the super high fees for super fast internet.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:29 PM

525 posts, read 279,328 times
Quote:
While I love superhero movies, this one was not that special. It was good, but it was just another superhero movie. It did not have a lot of the typical quotable funny lines or vignettes. It did not have anything particularly fresh or surprising. If you said it was a superhero movie, I could have accurately described the basic plotline without knowing anything else about the movie. It was too serious, and a superhero movie trying to be serious is just silly. I am not saying it was bad, just average. I enjoyed most of it (a few parts were slow) but it was not one of the better ones in my opinion.

As for finest movie of the year? I have seen two movies this year and Game Night was more entertaining than Black Panther. Both were good. Neither was great, but Game night was better. Game night also had better acting over all (although it has several actors who were bad, a few were superb, where BP had overall decent acting with no real superb characters and nothing really bad).
I am a bit surprised by your statement, but I nonetheless respect your opinion. There is not a single movie that can be loved by everyone.

I haven't seen Game Night. Maybe I'll consider it.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:04 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
It did not have a lot of the typical quotable funny lines or vignettes.
They were already over budget and couldn't bring in Downey.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
I am a bit surprised by your statement, but I nonetheless respect your opinion. There is not a single movie that can be loved by everyone.
I will see it again eventually, maybe I will find more to it to love. Usually it goes the other way. I thought Avatar was a good movie the first time I saw it. The second time, I realized it was actually terrible. Maybe this movie will go the other way?

Where was the hulk beating the snot out of Loki "Puny god"

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-14-2018 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,232 times
I really enjoyed this movie. No I don't think it's the best Marvel Movie (Captain America Winter Soldier is still my favorite) nor do I think it should be Oscar Nominated either, but compared to what's out there now, it was worth the hype and price of admission. I honestly thought it was well done, funny moments, serious when it needed to be, and the Killmonger story line really had an effect on me. So yeah definitely two thumbs up for me.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Isn't it the only film to go over 100 million domestically this year? When there had been three or four last year by this time?

Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,789 times
Seen this on the weekend and thought it was amazing! A refreshing new marvel movie with pretty good acting! I though Michael B Jordan did the best! Loved the African elements and costumes! Can't wait until it comes out on Bluray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies