Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 09:13 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
To each his or her own. I hated Deadpool.
I was happy that Ryan Reynolds found a movie that he can just play himself.

Deadpool was ok. It was just a lot of crass humor. I didn't bother with Deadpool 2. I will watch it when it comes on streaming services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:13 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That wasn't where the humorous parts of Jaws were.

For instance, the scene where Quint and Hooper are doing war-story bonding by comparing scars. Brody thinks for a moment about mentioning the only scar he has--an appendectomy scar--and thinks better about mentioning it. That was funny.

Or the classic scene of "We're gonna need a bigger boat." It wasn't delivered as a quip or sarcasm. It was a bleat, one of those moments when someone is faced with something completely out of his experience and his brain climbs out of his scull and yammers the first thing it can think of.
We weren't speaking specifically of humorous moments, we were talking about moments of sarcasm that to either of us we may find funny. The Character Matt Harpor had quite a number of lines using sarcasm that I found humorous, but being I haven't seen the movie and don't keep a library of lines in my mind, I can't give examples nor care to go look them up at the moment. More often than not the sarcastic lines were delivered in a whisper, as so often people do, it's understated. Brody also had a tendency to be sarcastic. Witty sarcasm to me is very funny, not everyone can deliver it naturally.

Jon Stewart, Steve Carrel, Bill Murray, Seinfeld, Larry David, and also Dave Chappelle uses it to a large degree, these are all people who come to mind come to mind. Call it deadpan, dry humor to be more technical. I'm not talking about the in your face parts that were in movies like Deadpool, I'm talking the humour where some people probably were scratching their heads.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:45 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sarcasm has its place, but it seems that it is the only form of humor that super hero movies use. Too much of a good thing can go bad.

JAWS is very funny in parts. None of it is sarcastic. Same with RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or ALIENS or APOCALYPSE NOW or STAR WARS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
We weren't speaking specifically of humorous moments, we were talking about moments of sarcasm that to either of us we may find funny.
I think Mark S was speaking of humorous moments that are not moments of sarcasm.

Sarcasm is damned hard to do well; it takes a very high degree of intelligence.

Most people who try it, including writers, aren't nearly as smart as they think they are, and therefore their attempts at sarcasm aren't nearly as funny as they think they are.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I think Mark S was speaking of humorous moments that are not moments of sarcasm.

Sarcasm is damned hard to do well; it takes a very high degree of intelligence.

Most people who try it, including writers, aren't nearly as smart as they think they are, and therefore their attempts at sarcasm aren't nearly as funny as they think they are.
And I said to him that there were moments of sarcasm in the movie used by some characters namely the ones I mentioned, Dryfus' character for one was very sarcastic.

Basically, I think we all agree to some degree in its use.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:47 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
And I said to him that there were moments of sarcasm in the movie used by some characters namely the ones I mentioned, Dryfus' character for one was very sarcastic.
And Hooper's sarcasm was never funny--nor was it intended to be.

Hooper was written to be a jerk (in fact, in the novel he seduced Brody's wife and was eaten by the shark along with Quint). They softened him in the movie and let him survive, but his sarcasm was still acerbic rather than funny.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:19 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
For textbook sarcasm, watch any episode of Two-and-a-Half Men with Charlie Sheen (the episodes with Asston don't count).

Old 07-27-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
And Hooper's sarcasm was never funny--nor was it intended to be.

Hooper was written to be a jerk (in fact, in the novel he seduced Brody's wife and was eaten by the shark along with Quint). They softened him in the movie and let him survive, but his sarcasm was still acerbic rather than funny.
Then I guess differ on our views of what humor encompasses, as his sarcastic remarks were humorous to many of us viewing in. Yes he was a jerk, I didn't like him at all, but, some of his remarks were sarcastically funny. You can be an evil arsetwat and still say funny things ya know.

This is how the New Yorker described Hooper

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...atness-of-jaws

"When Hooper comes into town, a bearded, bespectacled shark expert from a Woods Hole-like institute, he’s both a truth-teller and a jester—a merry mensch who’s nothing like the smooth operator in the book. Dreyfuss has rarely gotten the credit he deserves for his skill at insinuating speedy comic rhythms into seemingly intractable material. Much of the film’s humor comes from his powers of awareness—including his awareness of himself as an unlikely adventurer. And when Brody and Hooper partner up with Quint, Shaw’s alcohol-fueled Ahab, the actors and Spielberg and Gottlieb really get some odd-trio rhythms going".

Nothing to do with hoopers humor, but a great write up and some great photos
https://thedissolve.com/features/mov...aters-of-jaws/

I think at this point if we keep on this track, we need a to get out of this thread as we are way off topic.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:10 PM

Old 09-24-2018, 06:34 PM

New image. Obviously connected to the one above.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 AM

OUTSTANDING new trailer for Aquaman. MUCH better than the other one we got. If you don't get the whole point of the movie, I don't know what to tell you. I can't wait. "Badassss!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWnLiffxJ4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies