Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:44 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times

Advertisements

I finally got around to seeing this movie. This Film cost about 5-6 million to make but grossed about 175 Million at the box office.
Lets just say Peele will probably be doing more movies.
Some Quotes that had me Laughing:
"Dudes from Brooklyn don't dress like that"
"I think they are Taking black men and turning them into sex Slaves"
"Sex slave! Oh, ****! Chris, you gotta get the **** outta there, man! You in some Eyes Wide Shut situation. *Leave*, mother****er!"
His friend Rod Totally Stole this movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 11:12 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I finally got around to seeing this movie. This Film cost about 5-6 million to make but grossed about 175 Million at the box office.
Lets just say Peele will probably be doing more movies.
Some Quotes that had me Laughing:
"Dudes from Brooklyn don't dress like that"
"I think they are Taking black men and turning them into sex Slaves"
"Sex slave! Oh, ****! Chris, you gotta get the **** outta there, man! You in some Eyes Wide Shut situation. *Leave*, mother****er!"
His friend Rod Totally Stole this movie
Rod was the "voice of the audience."

Old 06-16-2017, 10:12 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,455 times
The movie receives two thumbs Up! I am willing to bet there were at least a dozen scenes that went over the heads of those viewing the film.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:03 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I'm late to the party but just saw this on Amazon.

It ranks as a meh movie to me. The acting was great and the first part of the movie was really nice, but then it ran out of steam to me. It's like they ran out of any good idea to sustain that momentum of the weird family with a creepy vibe, and ends up being the very thing the movie was trying to poke fun of.

Sure, I get some of the in-jokes and references in the movie. The repeated reference to voting for Obama was hilarious, as that happened to me once (and i'm not even black).

I think this is more of style over substance, people making it out to be way more than it is simply because it's a black director and a black themed movie and a need in this climate to praise such efforts.

Here's hoping that Us will be better.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:20 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
If I read about this movie and didn't know the date I'd think it was a 1970s B grade horror sci fi thriller. The plot seemed contrived and dated and I added this movie to my list of " Fake Reviews" movies. I started this list when I noticed that films that were hyped and had production studios futures on the line got rave reviews from reviewers but the fans weren't quite so impressed. The Star Wars films, Mad Max, you get the idea. Big budget productions that had to score big or the studios were looking at big losses. 95+ plus Rotten Tomatoes ratings? These people are pocketing some payola.
This was a small scale production but there was big money being bet on Peele. I've seen his TV work and I'm not in the ranks that think he's a genius. He's okay, maybe on the level of a Keenan Ivory Wayans. Dave Chappelle was more clever. At least he was way funnier.
His other movie, The Others. same exact deal. A weird plot that didn't make too much sense, like a dated 1980s movie. It might have its moments but again we're being told its so amazing and its really not. I see some similarities with M Knight Shimalayan in some of his works. A complex plot that didn't live up to its promise and had serious logic flaws. So many horror movies now have weird contrived plots that try to be different and creative but can't get past basic weak story telling.
Fake news, fake reviews. It all comes down to pushing an agenda and selling people something.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:58 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
It was fairly good but I felt that the movie borrowed so much from The Stepford Wives, that I was able to predict what was going to happen easily. I felt there was also too much foreshadowing of events perhaps, but still fairly good, especially in a time when most horror movies are worse nowadays.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
I don’t even have to watch the video horror movies are dead GOOD horror movies are dead. They show you the best parts and the rest is crap.

The fact that the OP mentioned brilliant and SNL in 2008 is sad.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:11 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Good horror movies aren't dead. Get Out is just overrated.

Good acting and cinematography. The story was alright, but predictable. Its reminiscent of previous head-transplant stories and films, but updated enough to appeal to a modern audience that hasn't seen or read those.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:46 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I saw it on TV and also thought it was very over rated. I'm glad that I didn't spend any money to watch it.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:12 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
I'd give it a 7/10 tops but do not think it's near good enough to get the best picture nomination that it got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies