Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Star Wars: The Last Jedi become all-time tops in ticket sales?
Yes 2 6.67%
No 28 93.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 12:42 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Yeah, and it was the right thing for Disney to do. Especially since a lot of people really, really enjoyed TFA. It's just the old jaded folks like us who thought that it was a rehash. Plus, I had heard that to a lot of little kids(who would view 2005 and before that as ancient history), this is all new stuff to them.
That's kind of the way I see this new direction, it's going to be a foot in the door for a lot of new Star Wars fans.

I remember seeing 3-6 in the theaters as a kid, then as an adult was completely underwhelmed with the prequels. TFA though, and now with Rogue One, I'm jazzed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 12:48 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Which versions?
I actually like the Special Editions. Tatooine looked awesome, and it was fun to see the dewbacks actually moving.

As long as we can all agree that Han shot first, the rest of the "tweaks" don't bother me in the slightest.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:49 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Aren't parents required by law to show their kids Episodes IV, V, and VI? If not, we need a law. It'll be the best law in the world, folks. Trust me. And George Lucas will pay for it. Believe me, folks.
That's what I thought, too. I figure most of today's kids have seen all the previous Star Wars (and at least a few Star Trek) movies by way of their parents' collections.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:53 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
I actually like the Special Editions. Tatooine looked awesome, and it was fun to see the dewbacks actually moving.

As long as we can all agree that Han shot first, the rest of the "tweaks" don't bother me in the slightest.
They sucked. Tatooine had more structures, but all the extra creatures and people cluttered it up. And there was the stupid thing about having somebody step in the some creature's droppings, wasn't there? George loves his gags. Also, the do-overs in Jabba's palace were awful.

I'll take the OT as it originally appeared in theaters, save ROTJ. I only like the scenes with Luke, Vader and the Emperor. Everything else is Velveeta.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,988,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Well, yeah, if I was born in 2003-5, then a 2015 movie would be new to me.
But that's not what I meant. By brother is a U.S. Postal carrier and he runs into people of all types on his route. And he told me that a lot of the little kids on his route thought that TFA and Star Wars was a new movie, a new concept. Therefore, apparently, they weren't even aware of the last Star Wars movie that had came out at that time, the 10 year old Revenge of the Sith and of course, the ones before that.

Although, of course after seeing it(or even before seeing it), I'm sure that their parents told them about the other movies.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Aren't parents required by law to show their kids Episodes IV, V, and VI? If not, we need a law. It'll be the best law in the world, folks. Trust me. And George Lucas will pay for it. Believe me, folks.
Hear, hear! And I had to rep you on that.

Son's reaction to 'Empire Strikes Back' reveal!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbV5hn_ET0U

Also, you never would have gotten those priceless reactions if those kids had watched the series in chronological order, the way that George Lucas recommends.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Also, you never would have gotten those priceless reactions if those kids had watched the series in chronological order, the way that George Lucas recommends.
And speaking of priceless.

Showing my grandma The Empire Strikes Back ending for the first time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSuuqNnbHZw

Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Anticipointment doesn't mean that we can't see the film is profitable, it is just a hyped up film that sucks. Hence the Suicide Squad lump in. Transformers Age of Extinction and Spider-Man 3 are also cases of anticipointment that still made good domestic money. Many tight Rogue One would have been.
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:01 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Old people and little kids are the best people to watch movies with. They still know how to wonder.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:09 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
We recently did a Star Wars marathon with my daughter and her boyfriend and while he kind of enjoyed the movies, my daughter was bored. I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of these movies. Those reaction videos (especially the grandma) were awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies