Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 12:02 PM

22,954 posts, read 28,375,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Blackfoot is an Algonquian language.
That's like saying, "Spanish is a Romance language." It is. But that doesn't mean Spanish and French are the same thing. "Algonquian" is a language group, not a language.

Blackfoot is a language, but it only has a few thousand native speakers left. There may well have been significantly more in the early 20th century, but it was never one of the globe's major languages. I know Diana is a demi-goddess and all, but I would still find it more than a little silly if she were fluent in every language on Earth.

So I'm going with Ralph's explanation.

Although part of me would love to see this scene in the sequel:

CHARACTER A: "Wait. You mean you speak every language on Earth?"

DIANA: "Yes. Well ... except for Esperanto, because that's stupid. I refuse to sully my divine mind with Esperanto."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 01:27 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,644,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That's like saying, "Spanish is a Romance language." It is. But that doesn't mean Spanish and French are the same thing. "Algonquian" is a language group, not a language.

Blackfoot is a language, but it only has a few thousand native speakers left. There may well have been significantly more in the early 20th century, but it was never one of the globe's major languages. I know Diana is a demi-goddess and all, but I would still find it more than a little silly if she were fluent in every language on Earth.

So I'm going with Ralph's explanation.

Although part of me would love to see this scene in the sequel:

CHARACTER A: "Wait. You mean you speak every language on Earth?"

DIANA: "Yes. Well ... except for Esperanto, because that's stupid. I refuse to sully my divine mind with Esperanto."
Yes, Wiki user, that is correct. And my point was that at one time its speakers were many more than the "few thousand remaining" you referred to.

Why is it silly an Amazon would be fluent in every known language?

Now, if we get down to dialects, that may be less plausible.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:40 PM

22,954 posts, read 28,375,529 times
Quote:
Why is it silly an Amazon would be fluent in every known language?
Because that would require an education of 12 hours a study every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, which would then beg the question: When would Diana have time for her martial arts education, swimming lessons, etc.? There are only so many hours in the day, even for a demi-goddess.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 PM

Time is what the Amazons have. Plenty.

Think about it. "12 hours of study" devoted to various disciplines (literature, art, fighting, whatever) "7 days a week" over, say, 25 years, wouldn't be a big deal to a society that isn't weighed down by our business week mindset. Take away all the electronically-derived time wasting that eats up your 14-16 waking hours, and you'd be able to get a lot more done. You might even end up on American Ninja Warrior.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:21 PM

28,713 posts, read 18,893,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Because that would require an education of 12 hours a study every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, which would then beg the question: When would Diana have time for her martial arts education, swimming lessons, etc.? There are only so many hours in the day, even for a demi-goddess.
There are only 24 hours in a day, but there are so many days.

Supposedly Diana had already lived hundreds or thousands of years, but her speed of learning would have been at least as fast as a bright human. So what if Diana spent three or four hours a day for six or seven years learning a language? She'd have plenty of time to learn hundreds of languages.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,994,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Read the post 624 replied to, I had said nice ad him, I don't reply to ad home which you've done elsewhere to me.
And he avoids the question again. LOL

Old 09-20-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There are only 24 hours in a day, but there are so many days.

Supposedly Diana had already lived hundreds or thousands of years, but her speed of learning would have been at least as fast as a bright human. So what if Diana spent three or four hours a day for six or seven years learning a language? She'd have plenty of time to learn hundreds of languages.
Right. To the Amazons, learning/honing is a lifestyle. No different from the samurai, who spent their days perfecting many things, not just their skill with the sword. In an Amazon's case, she's immortal, and time is on her side. (And yes, there's the further advantage of accelerated learning.)

Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
And he avoids the question again. LOL
Willie, what are you up to?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,981,965 times
Quote:
Willie, what are you up to?
trying to goad me into a response. I don't care to answer the posts to a poster well continually use ad -hom attacks which was why I didn't reply to his post in question. It's not avoiding but rather not wanting to subject myself to yet another from a poster that has done this several times to me.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,994,005 times
Quote:
trying to goad me into a response. I don't care to answer the posts to a poster well continually use ad -hom attacks which was why I didn't reply to his post in question.
Well, apparently, you either didn't see or you didn't understand when I said: "Sorry, but I didn't mean that as an ad hominem..." in my post #624.

Quote:
It's not avoiding but rather not wanting to subject myself to yet another from a poster that has done this several times to me.
Sure. Whatever you say, mkpunk. And whatever you need to do to avoid my apparently scary question that I asked you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies