Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 02:49 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,625,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is another scene much later in the movie where Trevor and Diana have a private moment in a bedroom. They close the door and only begin to kiss when the scene ends...older kids will know what comes next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,168,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
What makes this PG-13? Can I take some 11 year olds to see it without scaring them?

Beyond the battle scenes, with blown off limbs and dead bodies. There was the weapons test on live humans as a few of our 1918 Germans proved to be as Nazi like as the 1943 Hydra in Captain America The First Avenger

Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

Beyond the battle scenes, with blown off limbs and dead bodies. There was the weapons test on live humans as a few of our 1918 Germans proved to be as Nazi like as the 1943 Hydra in Captain America The First Avenger
Thank you for agreeing with my asertion of the similarities between Wonder Woman and First Avenger (well in this aspect...)

Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,168,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Thank you for agreeing with my asertion of the similarities between Wonder Woman and First Avenger (well in this aspect...)
I agree in total with your thesis. From the moment I saw her Howling Commandos like team in Batman V Superman I knew that there might be similarities but I was surprised by how far it went. However I also think Wonder Woman did it better.

The First Avenger sits in the bottom half on my MCU list in large part because Marvel decided to put a coat of white wash on the segregation of the last century and didn't allow Steve Rogers to be the hero on the home front as well as against Germany with a swift pivot to fighting Hydra. By seconding Captain Steve Trevor to the British, DC was able to side step that problem very neatly.

Additional on the PG-13 issue While the battle scenes were not Hacksaw Ridge intense they were more intense then the blue disintegration rays and the bloodless battles of the MCU

Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I agree in total with your thesis. From the moment I saw her Howling Commandos like team in Batman V Superman I knew that there might be similarities but I was surprised by how far it went. However I also think Wonder Woman did it better.
Yeah, those guys were just like the Howling Commandos: a shell-shocked hard-drinking sharpshooter who misses his mark rather often, a guy who fancies himself a wannabe actor, and a Native American who so obviously was not a part of the traditional war effort.

Diana didn't recruit them, or anyone. She recruited herself to go looking for Ares. Those three guys were Steve Trevor's chums. That's why he found them in the local watering hole.

Quote:
The First Avenger sits in the bottom half on my MCU list in large part because Marvel decided to put a coat of white wash on the segregation of the last century and didn't allow Steve Rogers to be the hero on the home front as well as against Germany with a swift pivot to fighting Hydra. By seconding Captain Steve Trevor to the British, DC was able to side step that problem very neatly.
In Wonder Woman, DC went places Marvel never would, just as they did in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. Marvel won't go near implied nudity. Sex talk in a Marvel movie is Tony Stark noticing Natasha (in her "Natalie" alias) and telling Pepper "I want one."

When Diana asks the Chief who's responsible for the demise of his people, Chief nods to Trevor and says "His people." That right there is more than you can ever expect Marvel to address the genocide of the Native American peoples. Marvel's so vanilla, it pisses me off.

Marvel's wimpy when it comes to the serious stuff. For example, no Yellowjacket/Wasp marital chaos. That was a big arc in the Avengers comic in the '80s. Fast-foward to Scott Lang's Ant-Man, instead. "Jokes! We need more jokes!"

Quote:
Additional on the PG-13 issue While the battle scenes were not Hacksaw Ridge intense they were more intense then the blue disintegration rays and the bloodless battles of the MCU.
See my last comment.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:27 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,298,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
HA! Let me clarify. Ripley did not have super powers
True. But neither does Batman or Robin or Batgirl or Black Widow or the Punisher or Catwoman or Black Cat , etc., etc.

The only real distinction: Ripley doesn't wear a silly circus costume.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NG3n_gONws

Old 06-07-2017, 10:39 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
In Wonder Woman, DC went places Marvel never would, just as they did in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. Marvel won't go near implied nudity. Sex talk in a Marvel movie is Tony Stark noticing Natasha (in her "Natalie" alias) and telling Pepper "I want one."

When Diana asks the Chief who's responsible for the demise of his people, Chief nods to Trevor and says "His people." That right there is more than you can ever expect Marvel to address the genocide of the Native American peoples. Marvel's so vanilla, it pisses me off.

Marvel's wimpy when it comes to the serious stuff. For example, no Yellowjacket/Wasp marital chaos. That was a big arc in the Avengers comic in the '80s. Fast-foward to Scott Lang's Ant-Man, instead. "Jokes! We need more jokes!"

And this is why we can't really give Wonder Woman any static about matching some beats with Captain America. "Did it better" trumps "Did it first" in this case.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:45 AM

At least they moved the setting to WWI (even though her original origin says otherwise). It made for a better statement in this case.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:08 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies