Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 02:48 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not every costume design seen on comic book pages or animated shows adapts well to live-action, unfortunately.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 03:05 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,783,643 times
Just saw this movie, Wonder Woman is the exact reason why, overall, I prefer the DC universe over Marvel.

I loved everything about this movie, the visual effects, the storyline, the chemistry, and especially, its heart. My favorite scenes were the subtle ones especially between Diana and Steve. That scene on the boat and when they were dancing and snow starts falling were some of the sweetest things I've ever seen.

So many movies these days are all about gratuitous violence and explicit nudity and sex scenes and F bombs galore, so how wonderful is it to see a movie like this that is fun to watch, has a thrilling story line and arc, characters you care about, and is wholesome for young and old alike. I don't even recall one swear word even.

Besides the action sequences, it seemed less like a comic book movie and more an action/drama set piece.

And what can I say about Gia, she is soooo beautiful I was falling in love every time she was on screen. At first I thought she was a little shaky dramatically, but as the movie went on she was awesome. She was the perfect blend of naivete and innocence.

Definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year so far.

Spoiler
Does anyone else think Steve is not dead, and will be brought back in a future WW movie? If you notice him piloting the plane, as soon as he takes out the grenade to blow up the plane, he pauses and starts to think intensely (about Diana?). Scene cuts away to Diana's battle with Aries, and then you see the plane blow up.
Methinks he used a parachute worn by one of the soldiers on the plane and bailed out. This seems to be the classic film making technique of preserving a beloved character by not explicitly showing him/her kill themselves on camera.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:22 PM

10,380 posts, read 8,032,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Spoiler
Does anyone else think Steve is not dead, and will be brought back in a future WW movie? If you notice him piloting the plane, as soon as he takes out the grenade to blow up the plane, he pauses and starts to think intensely (about Diana?). Scene cuts away to Diana's battle with Aries, and then you see the plane blow up.
Methinks he used a parachute worn by one of the soldiers on the plane and bailed out. This seems to be the classic film making technique of preserving a beloved character by not explicitly showing him/her kill themselves on camera.
Spoiler
I think the coda, which is set in the modern world, makes it pretty clear Steve Trevor did indeed die in the plane explosion. Diana's email reply to Bruce Wayne would make no sense otherwise.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Spoiler
I think the coda, which is set in the modern world, makes it pretty clear Steve Trevor did indeed die in the plane explosion. Diana's email reply to Bruce Wayne would make no sense otherwise.
Spoiler
Ah yes you are right. I totally forgot the coda took place in the modern time, so if Steve were alive she would have known long ago

Old 06-05-2017, 03:59 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
You think it's bad? You're probably in a minority of 1.
I am thoroughly okay with that.

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.†(G.K. Chesterton)

"What are you people ... on dope?" (Mr. Hand)

Old 06-05-2017, 04:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,793,324 times
Absolutely loved it! This may sound cheesy, however it is the first time I thought "This must be what boys feel like seeing a super hero movie". It was just really well done!

Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I am thoroughly okay with that.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Absolutely loved it! This may sound cheesy, however it is the first time I thought "This must be what boys feel like seeing a super hero movie". It was just really well done!
Welcome aboard!

Old 06-05-2017, 05:59 PM

On a side note, there is this incessant narrative that this movie is somehow 'groundbreaking' and the implication that the film industry and movie goers are somehow biased against female actresses and leads.

Maybe on some level, but as a whole, frankly I find such debate rather insulting to a male like myself who has always been drawn to strong female characters and leads.

American audiences have always been receptive to strong female characters both as women of physical ability and strength as well as mental acuity and brilliance. Don't believe this feel good revisionist debate.

Remember Ripley from Aliens? Or how about Angelina Jolie, one of the biggest box office stars in movie history (action heroine in hit movies like Tomb Raider)?

Scarlett Johanssen's Black Widow was a strong heroine years before Wonder Woman and she always has leading roles in action movies.

20 Inspiring Films that Feature a Strong Female Lead | Her Campus

Old 06-05-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Remember Ripley from Aliens? Or how about Angelina Jolie, one of the biggest box office stars in movie history (action heroine in hit movies like Tomb Raider)?

Scarlett Johanssen's Black Widow was a strong heroine years before Wonder Woman and she always has leading roles in action movies.
Nobody's forgotten those other characters, but their movies aren't CBMs. Tomb Raider's based on a game.

Yes, Wonder Woman is being hyped up right now, and that's fine. There is no other super-heroine (at this point in time) who can match the character's timeliness and popularity. It makes me wonder how many other characters Marvel plans to use in Captain Marvel, because general audiences still have no flippin' idea who she is. Wonder Woman features Wonder Woman and no other heroes. That's awesome.

Black Widow's role wasn't as effective in Age of Ultron and Civil War compared to her previous appearances. She was amazing in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but she'll be pushed back more and more (and the writing for her will suffer) as the MCU introduces more characters and they start to promote Captain Marvel. (ScarJo's not cheap, anymore. There's that, too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies