Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 12:23 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,732,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I wasn't allowed to see it either. I was only eight, but there was nothing else playing that looked interesting so I asked to go to see The Graduate. The answer was a firm NO. I saw it in later years, of course and I have always liked it. Norman Fell and Richard Dreyfus are in it. Both would later become famous.
I didn't realize Dreyfus was in it - or maybe I just forget. I have the DVD, but haven't watched it in years. I'll have to watch again and see if I can spot him.

I also didn't realize he's two years older than I am. I would have guessed slightly younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 12:47 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
One word: Plastics!
Yup. It was social commentary and the adults put all their emphasis on money and investing and material goods so "plastics" were said to be the next big thing. The younger generation couldn't have cared less.

That's what it was about. The movie was a big hit, something you HAD to see, but I didn't think the movie was that great. The song Mrs Robinson was popular, I think it was supposed to be about hypocrisy.

As far a Dustin Hoffman still having short hair and being dressed up like a country club guy, he wouldn't have been allowed to be there otherwise. Anyway, Hollywood was always behind the times and usually didn't quite get it but this movie was supposed to be about how the younger generation was feeling at the time. He didn't want to be pressured into being some corporate executive or get involved in making money on plastics.

He probably really wanted to live out in the country, have an organic garden, smoke pot, and generally to escape from the money making, materialistic establishment.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yup. It was social commentary and the adults put all their emphasis on money and investing and material goods so "plastics" were said to be the next big thing. The younger generation couldn't have cared less.

That's what it was about. The movie was a big hit, something you HAD to see, but I didn't think the movie was that great. The song Mrs Robinson was popular, I think it was supposed to be about hypocrisy.

As far a Dustin Hoffman still having short hair and being dressed up like a country club guy, he wouldn't have been allowed to be there otherwise. Anyway, Hollywood was always behind the times and usually didn't quite get it but this movie was supposed to be about how the younger generation was feeling at the time. He didn't want to be pressured into being some corporate executive or get involved in making money on plastics.

He probably really wanted to live out in the country, have an organic garden, smoke pot, and generally to escape from the money making, materialistic establishment.
For me, one of the most memorable lines was when Ben was talking about his future and he said he wanted it to be...."different".

Didn't we all.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:59 PM

2,909 posts, read 2,153,386 times
maybe Barry manilow is uninformed about the history of Scarborough Fair?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_Fair_(ballad)

the movie was a social commentary of the time. if you're not familiar with the times the message might be lost on you. no worries.

I think Hoffman was supposed to be flat in that movie. it's what Benjamin had been raised to be.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I wasn't allowed to see it either. I was only eight, but there was nothing else playing that looked interesting so I asked to go to see The Graduate. The answer was a firm NO. I saw it in later years, of course and I have always liked it. Norman Fell and Richard Dreyfus are in it. Both would later become famous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I didn't realize Dreyfus was in it - or maybe I just forget. I have the DVD, but haven't watched it in years. I'll have to watch again and see if I can spot him.

I also didn't realize he's two years older than I am. I would have guessed slightly younger.
Ok, so I watched portions to find where Dreyfus was and concluded that I never did know he was in it. He's one of the guys behind Norman Fell in the Berkeley rooming house in his first confrontation with Ben after Elaine screams. Even now, I doubt most would notice or recognize him unless they were looking for him specifically as I was just now.

Thanks for that bit of trivia.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:14 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Ok, so I watched portions to find where Dreyfus was and concluded that I never did know he was in it. He's one of the guys behind Norman Fell in the Berkeley rooming house in his first confrontation with Ben after Elaine screams. Even now, I doubt most would notice or recognize him unless they were looking for him specifically as I was just now.

Thanks for that bit of trivia.
You found it! Correct. I always thought that was a great scene. Fell was the best.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You found it! Correct. I always thought that was a great scene. Fell was the best.
Yes, Fell was perfect for that role.

That was the first time I had seen him, and didn't realize that he had been a steady player in lots of movies and TV going back to '54. 'Course, I was 18 at the time so had a limited historical perspective. I of course spotted him in the many prominent roles he had soon after The Graduate, like in Bullitt the following year and Catch-22 a couple years later. Just the other day I saw him in 12 O'clock High and The Invaders reruns. I see that he was also in Airport 1975. I can't say that I remember him in that, but I'm guessing he was one of the passengers making some of his classically cranky Norman Fell style comments.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:33 PM

17,605 posts, read 13,388,503 times
Plastics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies