Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 07:00 PM

102,281 posts, read 108,356,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Dustin Hoffman was a new kind of movie star. He wasn't much to look at, but with great movie star charisma. He needed a good film to follow 'The Graduate', and he got one with 'Midnight Cowboy', which also made a great impact. Plus it showed Dustin's range as an actor. He made a couple of turkey's, before starring in 'Little Big Man.' For me, his 70s films are a mixed bunch, but he was always very watchable. He came again strong in the 80s with 'Tootsie', which is a great movie, and star performance. He should have made more films..... he has been a star for going on 50 years. There should have been more movies in his younger years.
There was "Marathon Man". That was an amazing film, very dramatic! I don't know when it came out; I saw it by chance on TV about 20 years ago.

All the President's Men was good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 08:20 PM

22,954 posts, read 28,375,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There was "Marathon Man". That was an amazing film, very dramatic!
Is it safe?

Old 12-06-2020, 01:02 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,261,685 times
One word: Plastics!

Old 12-06-2020, 02:00 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,449,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Great movie, but by the time it was over I wanted to hunt down and kill Simon and Garfunkel.
My parents had at least one S&G 8-track tape, maybe the soundtrack to the movie - I definitely remember hearing those songs as a little kid!

Old 12-06-2020, 02:05 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,257,715 times
There are so many movies pre-2000 that I can watch over and over. The acting and quality of scripts were amazing. Im not even sure Ive even watched a movie that was made post-2000. May have started out watching one, but never finished due to boredom. They are crap.

Old 12-06-2020, 02:08 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,577,766 times
Why do you find it funny ? at the time young people thought it was social commentary on the older generation and their corruption
Do you find corruption comical?

Old 12-07-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
My parents had at least one S&G 8-track tape, maybe the soundtrack to the movie - I definitely remember hearing those songs as a little kid!
I'm convinced the devil plays "Scarborough Fair" by Simon & Garfunkel in Hell, just to make the damned souls scream, "Can we please turn up the fire? I can still hear the music!"

Old 12-07-2020, 07:19 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,761,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm convinced the devil plays "Scarborough Fair" by Simon & Garfunkel in Hell, just to make the damned souls scream, "Can we please turn up the fire? I can still hear the music!"
I don't know who you think you're entertaining with bizarre comments like this.

Scarborough Fair is a beautiful song. And, for those of us coming of age at the time of The Graduate's release, the Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack was a profoundly positive addition. It was also something of a novel idea at the time and the concept quickly became hugely successful in countless other films as well.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't know who you think you're entertaining with bizarre comments like this.
Mostly myself. But if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to read. Move along....

Quote:
Scarborough Fair is a beautiful song.
It makes my ears vomit. Even Barry Manilow says, "That song is just way too white."

Quote:
And, for those of us coming of age at the time of The Graduate's release, the Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack was a profoundly positive addition.
I think that says more about the Baby Boomers than it does THE GRADUATE. And nothing good.

Quote:
It was also something of a novel idea at the time and the concept quickly became hugely successful in countless other films as well.
It was. THE GRADUATE may have even been the first movie that started this modern trend. It just wasn't done well in THE GRADUATE. Playing the same song over and over and over and over just spoiled it. If you want to see this "novel concept" done well, check out MEAN STREETS. Or pretty much any Martin Scorsese movie for that matter.

Even BILLY JACK used the music of its day to greater effect than THE GRADUATE.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:56 AM

5,297 posts, read 5,257,715 times
No one's forcing you to watch it. Just move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies