Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:00 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,620,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus55 View Post
The Graduate (1967) trailer - YouTube
Hi all!

I just watched " The Graduate" 1967 and I can't stop laughing!!!
The movie is pretty old but wow! It was amazing comedy!
It's incredible funny and I laughed a lot...

Just wanna know you guys' opinions....
Have you all ever watched it ....?
Was it popular at that time 1967??
Dustin Hoffman act very well and funny. The character was very crazy...

I'm curious!! He always said that...lolll
The movie doesn't hold up very well.

Ben and Elaine are empty shells. Outside of talking about wanting to get married and her parents, they have no real relationship.

The Robinsons come off as better developed characters and much more articulate, especially Mr. Robinson.

There's a lot of intentional symbolism around the pool, the church, and the zoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:48 AM

296 posts, read 414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The movie doesn't hold up very well.

Ben and Elaine are empty shells. Outside of talking about wanting to get married and her parents, they have no real relationship.

The Robinsons come off as better developed characters and much more articulate, especially Mr. Robinson.

There's a lot of intentional symbolism around the pool, the church, and the zoo.

I am able to pretend that they had something genuine. Kinda like when I watch a sci-fi movie, I don't tell my friends how unreal it is because it's all special effects in a studio.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:03 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Correct. But that's kind of the whole point of the story. See the last scene? They go from happy and laughing and all smiles to this:

Old 12-03-2020, 08:08 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,006,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Little Big Man is a great movie. Dustin was good at comedy, or drama. In movies like this, he did both. Who could ever forget his scenes with the wonderful Chief Dan George?
Or his scenes with the wonderful Faye Dunaway. I was 14 years old when I first saw Little Big Man and absolutely fell in lust with Faye Dunaway. And I'm still there.....

--

Old 12-03-2020, 09:02 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,656,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus55 View Post
The Graduate (1967) trailer - YouTube
Hi all!

I just watched " The Graduate" 1967 and I can't stop laughing!!!
The movie is pretty old but wow! It was amazing comedy!
It's incredible funny and I laughed a lot...

Just wanna know you guys' opinions....
Have you all ever watched it ....?
Was it popular at that time 1967??
Dustin Hoffman act very well and funny. The character was very crazy...

I'm curious!! He always said that...lolll
It spawned the career of Mr. Roper. He again played a landlord on Three's Company.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:21 AM

51,068 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Hmmm. I never really thought of it as a comedy.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:54 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Hmmm. I never really thought of it as a comedy.
Depends on what you mean. If by "comedy," you simply mean "funny," then THE GRADUATE is definitely a comedy in places. But JAWS is funny in places. BREAKING BAD is hilarious in places. Even the original FRIDAY THE 13TH had some funny bits. But I don't think anyone would call those comedies.

The classical definition of "comedy" is "a story of the rise in fortune of a sympathetic central character." The classical definition of "tragedy" is "a story that depicts the downfall of a basically good person through some fatal error or misjudgment, producing suffering and insight on the part of the protagonist and arousing pity and fear on the part of the audience."

In that sense, THE GRADUATE is very much a tragedy --- although the story often tries to trick you into thinking it's a comedy.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:29 AM

778 posts, read 355,293 times
This is one of my favorite movies.... the script and is witty, funny, and serious and visually, wow.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:44 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,730,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
This is one of my favorite movies.... the script and is witty, funny, and serious and visually, wow.
The plot certainly is lacking, but yes, the film has other merits. As has been mentioned, it is laden with visual metaphors. And the visuals and sound and shooting combined have a delicious vibe that is emblematic of the era. In that respect it reminds me a bit of Easy Rider, though the films are themselves very different.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:52 PM

102,281 posts, read 108,356,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Or his scenes with the wonderful Faye Dunaway. I was 14 years old when I first saw Little Big Man and absolutely fell in lust with Faye Dunaway. And I'm still there.....

--
Faye Dunaway was in Little Big Man? I don't remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies