Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 11:20 AM

68,422 posts, read 54,790,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Or his scenes with the wonderful Faye Dunaway. I was 14 years old when I first saw Little Big Man and absolutely fell in lust with Faye Dunaway. And I'm still there.....

--

That was a pretty popular destination for the testosterone addled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 11:35 AM

23,034 posts, read 28,558,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
No one's forcing you to watch it. Just move along.
Don't get me wrong. THE GRADUATE is a great movie. A classic. But the music hurts.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:40 PM

12,309 posts, read 9,814,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Mostly myself. But if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to read. Move along....

It makes my ears vomit. Even Barry Manilow says, "That song is just way too white."

I think that says more about the Baby Boomers than it does THE GRADUATE. And nothing good.

It was. THE GRADUATE may have even been the first movie that started this modern trend. It just wasn't done well in THE GRADUATE. Playing the same song over and over and over and over just spoiled it. If you want to see this "novel concept" done well, check out MEAN STREETS. Or pretty much any Martin Scorsese movie for that matter.

Even BILLY JACK used the music of its day to greater effect than THE GRADUATE.
More ignorance with racism right on cue. So predictable....and I knew better.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:35 PM

4,094 posts, read 2,194,572 times
I am surprised that there is an active thread on this movie, but glad since I finally just saw it since it was leaving Amazon. I never saw it back in the day. I am 66, so thought it was about time that I saw it. Ugh! Way overhyped. Maybe there was some cutting edge cinematography, like Benjamin scuba diving in his parents pool.

I agree with Mark about the score. Simon and Garfunkel were never my favorites..I preferred rick but did like some folk rock. Seemed like they were repeating same two or three songs over and over. Okay, maybe Mrs. Robinson since she was a main character, but why Scarborough Fair? I don’t know if soundtracks to movies were a thing back then, bu5 who would want such a limited soundtrack?

Then, the acting. I liked Dustin Hoffman in some later movies, but thought his acting was so flat in this. Not surprised that it was his first movie. Surprised that he was already 30. I thought if he was only 20 like his character, that could explain s9me if the flatness.

I had always heard that it was about counterculture youth rebelling against the older generation. Disappointed that Benjamin dressed just like his parents did, the country club set. Not long hair, no bell bottoms or tie dye! A suit. Short hair. And it wasn’t like he was rebelling against his parents lifestyle. He sure liked to hang out in their pool. Drive the Alfa Romeo they bought him. Even drank hard liquor as opposed to beer, wine, or marijuana. It’s just that he didn’t want to do anything after college. Not work. Not grad school. It’s not like he was upset by or doing something about the war, racism, inequities, etc.

Then he goes on a forced date with Elaine. Mean to her, so she cries and leaves. Bu5 a few minutes later, they are falling in love! Suddenly this guy who can’t commit to a job or grad school can commit to a relationship?

I am sure that putting the cross on the door of the church was viewed as cutting edge, but just no. Th3best part was the last scene with them on the bus after escaping the wedding, looking just Dazed and thinking now What?

And for a movie about the younger generation, sure wasn’t that much of them. The wedding looked to to be attended by the Robinson parents’ friends, not Elaine’s friends from college. Even her fiancée seemed like a fussy old guy, smoking a pipe.

Dialogue was laughable, especially Mrs. Robinson ordering Ben all around the time. If it had taken place years later I guess she could have been a domatrix, wearing leather.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:24 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,016,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Faye Dunaway was in Little Big Man? I don't remember that.
Oh yes! She played the absolutely delicious preacher's wife who takes young Jack under her wing.

--

Old 12-08-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That was a pretty popular destination for the testosterone addled.
"Testosterone addled." That would have described me at 14.

--

Old 12-08-2020, 07:38 AM

23,034 posts, read 28,558,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Th3best part was the last scene with them on the bus after escaping the wedding, looking just Dazed and thinking now What?
That really is the key to the movie. It's a great commentary on the '60s, made even before the '60s were over.

The counter culture rebelled against the hypocrisy and emptiness of their parents' generation, and it must be said: There was a lot of hypocrisy and emptiness to rebel against. But ... now what? And the baby boomers didn't really have an answer to that, other than to become the Me Generation. Which is exactly what happened in the '70s.

“The Reformer is always right about what's wrong. However, he's often wrong about what is right.” (G.K. Chesterton)

Old 12-08-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
More ignorance with racism right on cue. So predictable....and I knew better.
Mark S. is just VERY opinionated. And he tends to bloviate. Best not to take him that seriously. He does offer some interesting insights at times....

I've seen The Graduate several times, and I don't remember the music being an issue. But there are people who just don't like Simon & Garfunkel.

--

Last edited by Bill790; 12-08-2020 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-08-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I am surprised that there is an active thread on this movie...
It's an old thread resurrected from 2014....

--

Old 12-08-2020, 08:36 AM

34,443 posts, read 18,848,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Hard to believe that Anne Bancroft was only 36 when she played Mrs. Robinson. (And Dustin Hoffman was 30.) Most of us were forbidden by our parents to see this movie when it initially came out. It played on television only a few years later.
I wasn't allowed to see it either. I was only eight, but there was nothing else playing that looked interesting so I asked to go to see The Graduate. The answer was a firm NO. I saw it in later years, of course and I have always liked it. Norman Fell and Richard Dreyfus are in it. Both would later become famous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies