Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,162,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Anything with the underrated Sam Rockwell has to be at least halfway decent.

This reminded me of the move Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Now *that* was a film with an unusual plot--and like another movie I mentioned upthread, it was based on a true story, the memoirs of the Gong Show host, Chuck Barris. The sharp and crackling screenplay was written by Charlie Kaufman, the same guy who wrote Being John Malkovich as well as Adaptation...
Thanks. I had heard of this one a while back and now I've added it to my netflix queue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:47 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,960,503 times
Pan's Labyrinth
Perfume
Being There

Old 11-17-2013, 01:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
American Beauty (Just watch it, I don't want to give it away.)
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (think about it, something are inevitable no matter what precautions you take.)
Thor (just the psychology behind Thor and more importantly Loki is lightyears beyond most movies.)
Up (the beginning minutes of the film set it up in a music montage than most films you see today with dialogue.)
Wanted (It is a movie that starts at the end.)

Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,369,778 times
These are the movies I found unique:

Bicentennial Man

I Robot

Limitless

Surrogates

Alien Nation

Blast From The Past (Brendan Fraser, a boy was born and raised in a bomb shelter then come out)

The Box (weird, show the nature of the people)

Citizen Verdict (a TV show where the audience is the judge, the jury and the live execution)

City Of Ember (people born and living underground, were never outside)

Demolition Man (man sentenced to animated suspense and released 70 years later)

Dune

Enemy Mine (man and alien both at war stuck together on planet)

Evolution

Fifth Element (very special girl and hot)

As you can see they're SciFi so I guess where else you'll find uniqueness?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,841,666 times
I just watched this the other day:

Europa Report (2013) - IMDb

I thought it was great... and very different from your average "disaster in space" flick! It just goes to show you don't need your sci-fi movie to be chock full of eye-popping special effects and stereotypical characters to be riveting.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,603,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
American Beauty (one of my all time favorite movies, maybe not the most unique though).
If it's not unique anymore, it's only because other movies copied it.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,515,937 times
"Night of the Hunter" w/ Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters and Lillian Gish - has to be one of the greatest weird classic movies ever made.

Any movie directed by Ken Russell.

Almost any movie directed by David Lynch. My favorite is Mulholland Drive, but Eraserhead is strangest.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:46 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,996,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Wings of Desire (1987). Directed by Wim Wenders (Paris, Texas (1984)), stars Bruno Ganz as an angel who can only be seen by children and other angels and he falls in love with a trapise artist and wants to turn in his wings and become a moral. They / hollywood tried to remake it and failed.
Love that movie. One of the things that made the original great was its use of Peter Falk doing a location shoot of Colombo in Berlin as an integral part of the plot. For whatever reason the remake (City of Angels) didn't use that same plot device and as a result lost a big part of the "magic" of that story.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,162,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Love that movie. One of the things that made the original great was its use of Peter Falk doing a location shoot of Colombo in Berlin as an integral part of the plot. For whatever reason the remake (City of Angels) didn't use that same plot device and as a result lost a big part of the "magic" of that story.
Peter Faulk was great in WOD. Outstanding. Having been through what Bruno Ganz was going through, he kind of guided and counseled him along the way.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:35 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,236,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
"Night of the Hunter" w/ Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters and Lillian Gish - has to be one of the greatest weird classic movies ever made.
Good one (Night of the Hunter). Great performance by R. Mitchum. He also did a great job in the original
Cape Fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies