Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,978,530 times

Advertisements

It is sad to see Blockbuster go under. Sign of the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:52 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,162,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
I remember the Big Bambu paper. lol. That brings back memories.

The Cheech and Chong (yellow album) and the Wedding Album (they were Siamese twins that got married) were hilarious.
Always liked the Los Cochinos cover where you pull out the sleeve and see the crossing the border from mexico ganga stuffed in the car door lining.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,665,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I hated Blockbuster.

They swallowed up the local mom-and-pop video stores, then designed rental stores that operated around their convenience rather than the customers'. They constantly tried to get us on late fees when I absolutely *knew* the video was not late.
I second this. I hated BB as well. Honestly, I say good riddance and was glad when they announced the last store was closing...I always had some problem with my membership, and those late fees? I think I got late fees on movies I never rented!

I feel like them closing was just comeuppance for years of crappy service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,607,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I hated Blockbuster.

They swallowed up the local mom-and-pop video stores, then designed rental stores that operated around their convenience rather than the customers'. They constantly tried to get us on late fees when I absolutely *knew* the video was not late.
I remember living in backwoods Georgia 10+ years ago and seeing the local mom and pop video stores closing because Blockbuster (and Movie Gallery) set up shop down the street.

Now they are being put out of business by the internet and streaming movies.

Funny how what goes around comes around...

Old 11-18-2013, 12:38 PM

1,762 posts, read 2,101,386 times
The last BB is closing in my area and it makes me sad because I've been going to that BB for years. I know the staff. They are great people. They know my husband and I by name always had recommendations for us. I'll miss going there but I understand why it went out of business.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 AM

7,736 posts, read 6,483,779 times
I miss video stores. Netflix is great but they don't have everything. Video stores, you walk in and they have a pretty damn big selection. There's a sorta ambience and charm they offer, sad to see them go.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,620,766 times
The people in charge of Blockbuster are complete idiots. The writing was on the wall and with their name recognition they could have become the download/streaming company of the future.

Soon all those new/used video game stores will go out of business too. Instead of going and buying the game you'll just download it. It's already happening.

I might mess around and cry when bookstores finally disappear. I think they'll hang on for a lil while tho'.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,620,766 times
Also, Blockbusters selection wasn't exactly as stellar as people are remembering.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,918 times
I hate that we have so few video rental stores now. In an entire 5 city area that I live near there is one family video, and that's it.
My problem with this is that Netflix doesn't carry all older movies. And there are movies that are just near impossible to find anywhere, yet video stores usually carry them.

Having said that, part of me is so happy to see Blockbuster go. I grew up in and near a few small towns, each had their own unique video stores, some of them were national chains (Video Depot, Quality Video) but there were a few regional or single owner stores, and after the Blockbuster onslaught of the 1990's ALL of them disappeared. I'm not crying for Blockbuster.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,545,653 times
"Why did they close all the horse and buggy companies?" said the guy in 1927...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies