Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:43 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times

Advertisements

I used to love going to Blockbuster, but Netflix really just could not be a beat and Blcokbuster needed to lower it's prices.

I mean it costs like $3-4 just to rent one movie at Blockbuster and add onto that if there is a late fee.

Compare that to Netflix, where you can pay $12 a month and if you are diligent enough on mailing dvds back the day after you recieve and watch it you can get like 9-10 movies per month. That's like $1.25 per movie. On top of that it's either streaming or delievered to you! Also the selection is like 10 times bigger as well as the stock. I will miss Blockbuster, but times are a changing and their business model was like that of a dinosaur.

If you are really diligent on your movie watching and returning on a timely manner, Netflix is fantastic and really cheap when you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 10:52 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Because people are, first, getting so lazy that they don't want to be bothered going to the store, and, second, they're being persuaded that it's unpleasant to have to interact with people in real life.

There was a passing comment on NPR that going to a video store used to actually be fun.
One of the last times I went into a Blockbuster some teenager called me a mean jerk because I picked up the last copy of a new release a moment or two before they decided too. They looked like typical super zip code brats so I told her boyfriend id give it to him for 10 bucks. He declined. So I stood in line for ten minutes while they glared at me and went home to watch a scratched up DVD with my then fiance. Good times.

Tl;dr : id much rather press the button on my remote. And get my human interaction in some other way.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Because they didn't understand the business, IMO. I remember reading an article with one of their most high up guys who went on and on about how Netflix was irrelevant to them because Netflix was providing a different service. Had I owned Blockbuster stocks, I would have dumped them at that point.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:15 AM

398 posts, read 698,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Because they didn't understand the business, IMO. I remember reading an article with one of their most high up guys who went on and on about how Netflix was irrelevant to them because Netflix was providing a different service. Had I owned Blockbuster stocks, I would have dumped them at that point.
I raided the last Blockbuster in my area for the $1 DVDs at closing, the first time I'd been to BB in many years. Now I order the online DVDs from them bc that particular plan is cheaper than Netflix. I see no difference in BB online service vs. Netflix except for streaming which I can't do anyway.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:15 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I am waiting to see when bookstores will also follow....

Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 AM

643 posts, read 918,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I hated Blockbuster.

They swallowed up the local mom-and-pop video stores, then designed rental stores that operated around their convenience rather than the customers'. They constantly tried to get us on late fees when I absolutely *knew* the video was not late.

One day a BB manager yelled at my kid for standing too close to the popcorn machine. He was not unsafe, and neither was the popcorn machine, she was totally irrational. Maybe she had Blockbuster baggage of her own, I don't know.

That was the day I quit Blockbuster and joined Netflix. It's been almost 10 years now.

Music stores were different, they were far more customer-friendly and yes I miss them. Still have all my vinyl albums and my Technics turntable, but yeah, the iPod is nice to have in my kitchen.
This right here. I mean come on Blockbuster was the McDonalds of movie rentals. Im not sad to see them go. They already put all the local video stores out of business. I do miss the local video stores though.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM

643 posts, read 918,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I think its stupid they dropped VHS... Many people STILL LIKE VHS and they would get some business from it!!

There is a movie in 2013 released on VHS! (Its called V/H/S and V/H/S 2)

www.amazon.com/dp/B00B9LNBWS
www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQRHN2W

I dont know if the analogue master is what was used on the tape or not.... (I would only want it IF IT WAS!! (They probably abandoned analog totally which is very sad))
Ahhaha thats way tight. I stil have my VHS player and collection. You can get VHS movies for free now at garage sales and stuff. VHS is still alive in my heart.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You mean because of portable E-readers or because of Amazon and their low prices compared to retail?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:11 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
You mean because of portable E-readers or because of Amazon and their low prices compared to retail?
Sure hope not. I have books signed by the author. Also, I want to see the book first before I buy
not everything on Amazon seems as it appears nor is it available.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:57 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
i remember going to a record store to get the latest cheech and chong record. one album cover was a replica of a pack of rolling paper complete with a one large sheet (big bambu). you really can't beat lp album cover packaging. cds or dvds don't come close and can't hold a candle to them.
I remember the Big Bambu paper. lol. That brings back memories.

The Cheech and Chong (yellow album) and the Wedding Album (they were Siamese twins that got married) were hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies