Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:49 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times

Advertisements

I don't have cable anymore so I'm a bit behind on what's out at the movies now so I was surprised to see there's a new remake of Carrie. I remember the last Carrie movie was awful, as well as that made-for-TV movie but the trailer for this one looks pretty interesting. I'm a big fan of the original and it looks like they stayed pretty close to it.

So has anyone seen it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,019,680 times
If you go to see this movie, you only encourage Hollywood to film more unnecessary remakes.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,855,583 times
I haven't seen any Carrie movies but the original, and don't intend to. the promos for the remake look phony and seem to have the usual computer-generated tricks.

No one can improve on the original, and these remakes are pointless and reflect today's uncreative Hollywood culture.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,162,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
If you go to see this movie, you only encourage Hollywood to film more unnecessary remakes.
my thoughts exactly.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Haven't seen it, but I want to. Great director and good cast.

And stop all the bah-humbugging of remakes. Any time a movie comes out, the only consideration should be if it is a good movie. Lots of GREAT movies have been remakes. Some remakes even outshine the originals.

I liked DePalma's '70s version a lot. But it repeated one of the big weaknesses of the novel: Carrie's mom is more caricature than character. Reviews of this new one are saying this new version doesn't have this problem.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 PM

656 posts, read 1,357,709 times
Saw it opening night, it was just okay. Original was better but for a remake it wasn't terrible.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 PM

386 posts, read 669,006 times
That **** looked creepy as hell.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

And stop all the bah-humbugging of remakes. Any time a movie comes out, the only consideration should be if it is a good movie. Lots of GREAT movies have been remakes. Some remakes even outshine the originals.

I liked DePalma's '70s version a lot. But it repeated one of the big weaknesses of the novel: Carrie's mom is more caricature than character. Reviews of this new one are saying this new version doesn't have this problem.
I've just resigned to the fact that "new" movies are just movies I've already seen with new actors. Even when it's not a remake the plot line is almost identical to something that I've already seen or read somewhere else.

I like the actress playing the mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Saw it opening night, it was just okay. Original was better but for a remake it wasn't terrible.
I'm gonna go see it at the dollar movie that way if I don't like it I've only wasted a dollar.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times
I'm not going to pay to see it -- the ScyFy channel did a remake just a few years ago, and I got to see it for free on my television.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,162,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

my first post was in haste. you are correct in not discounting a movie outright without giving it a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies