Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,898,134 times

Advertisements

Watched this tonight on PPV. Pretty good and exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,422,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I enjoyed the movie.... but I had one MAJOR problem with it:

Spoiler
Even rich people today embark on charitable and philanthropic endeavors. It seemed that 99% of the gripe people on earth had were getting access to the health machines on Elysium. What was stopping Elysium from sending down a bunch of them (like what happened at the end) to the hospitals of earth?

Surely the tech could also have been duplicated on earth?

I had that very same reaction.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 AM

8,341 posts, read 13,479,623 times
As a sci-fi movie, the acting and action was really entertaining but the plot had too many flaws in it.
If you wanted to examine closely, it'd make the who movie seem ridiculous.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM

9,826 posts, read 11,575,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Population is a huge issue? Really? Do you mean declining populations? You should read "What To Expect When No One Is Expecting" by Jonathan V Last

"In Italy, there are more deaths than births every year. In Japan, people buy more adult diapers than diapers for babies. China’s population will get very old and then rapidly contract. By 2050, one out of every 4 of its citizens will be over the age of 65. The United Nations projects that by the year 2100, Poland will have lost one-quarter of its population. Thirty years ago, Iran’s fertility rate was 6.5. Two generations later it has rapidly declined to 1.88. Around the world populations are contracting. The US would be on the verge of shrinking, too, if it wasn’t for Hispanic immigrants. But, their fertility patterns also become more like the US native population after the first generation arrives."

What to Expect When No One's Expecting: America's Coming Demographic Disaster: Jonathan V. Last: 9781594036415: Amazon.com: Books

This movie is only 1 hr 49 minutes long. They need to make at least a two hour movie to get me into the theater.
You would never think the population is shrinking by watching The Muary show!

Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,233,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Population is a huge issue? Really? Do you mean declining populations? You should read "What To Expect When No One Is Expecting" by Jonathan V Last

"In Italy, there are more deaths than births every year. In Japan, people buy more adult diapers than diapers for babies. China’s population will get very old and then rapidly contract. By 2050, one out of every 4 of its citizens will be over the age of 65. The United Nations projects that by the year 2100, Poland will have lost one-quarter of its population. Thirty years ago, Iran’s fertility rate was 6.5. Two generations later it has rapidly declined to 1.88. Around the world populations are contracting. The US would be on the verge of shrinking, too, if it wasn’t for Hispanic immigrants. But, their fertility patterns also become more like the US native population after the first generation arrives."

What to Expect When No One's Expecting: America's Coming Demographic Disaster: Jonathan V. Last: 9781594036415: Amazon.com: Books

This movie is only 1 hr 49 minutes long. They need to make at least a two hour movie to get me into the theater.
There is a net gain of one person every 16 seconds. your model of we need more people to buy stupid **** only takes us right to Elysium. If it doesn't fit someone's political that's too bad - reality will triumph and unless your great grandkids end up in the top 1% they won't be thanking you.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,569,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The film was sort of hollow and felt rushed. They had some great themes to work with but never really dived into them with the same intensity that District 9 did with apartheid, racism, identity, and corporate militarism. They could of done a lot more with Copley's and Foster's characters as well. This is one of the few movies that could've benefited from a 150 minutes run time. This flick would probably get a "B" from me if Blomkamp had never made District 9(which imo is one of the top 5 sci-fi movies of all time).
I just watched this last night with my 18 year old son. I really, really didn't like it. Way too much running around in the desert with Matt Damon.

I thought it started out interesting and had the premise of a good plot, but I could barely stay awake to see the end.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,625,923 times
I agree that it felt rushed. I didn't like Foster's character at all. She could've been a lot better. I actually liked Sharlto Copley's character...very different from Wikus van de Merwe. He and Neill Blomkamp are a really good team. District 9 was sublime and I hope to see a District 10 soon!!!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,103,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I enjoyed the movie.... but I had one MAJOR problem with it:

Spoiler
Even rich people today embark on charitable and philanthropic endeavors. It seemed that 99% of the gripe people on earth had were getting access to the health machines on Elysium. What was stopping Elysium from sending down a bunch of them (like what happened at the end) to the hospitals of earth?

Surely the tech could also have been duplicated on earth?
I agree. At the end of the day you need those humans to be healthy in order for them to live that lavish lifestyle.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:37 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,517,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
It was okay. The guy who played krueger was annoying. He has an irritating thin voice and his accent makes it worse (it's like a cross between Australian and Cockney accent). I wonder if he really talks like that in real life?
Yes, he does. If you want to see him in a few more movies he was the protagonist in District 9 and played Murdock in the A Team remake.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:41 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,517,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I would have enjoyed the movie more if it wasn't a propaganda piece from the Democrats/Liberals.
Oh please. It was dystopian sci-fi, a straight up cyberpunk film. The influences from Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy were obvious.

Jesus, can't people just watch a movie with turning into Glenn Beck and parsing it for it's "lib'rul agendah?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies