Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If Hollywood wants to reboot, why do go waaayyyy back to a movie series that most Americans don't remember?

The Perils of Pauline (1914 serial) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But who can play Pauline?
The Perils of Pauline was rebooted in the 60's. Big flop, as I recall.

There are some stories that are just so powerful and have such powers of connection with their audience that they always hold up well. Every 10 years or less, there's a new bunch of viewers who never saw the older versions.
The trick is to make a reboot a notch better in some way- a better script always works, but so can a very highly popular actor as lead, jazzier special effects, and other elements.

The age of the original is also important. The movie Jaws was a blockbuster that suffered 3 increasingly terrible sequels, but the story is still as potent as ever. Given the right timing, and with the sophistication of special effects now, I think it could be redone and be even better than the original.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 04:58 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The movie Jaws was a blockbuster that suffered 3 increasingly terrible sequels, but the story is still as potent as ever. Given the right timing, and with the sophistication of special effects now, I think it could be redone and be even better than the original.
That would be great! Only this time the shark could be caught up in a tornado! ....Oh, wait....

Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
That would be great! Only this time the shark could be caught up in a tornado! ....Oh, wait....
Uh, yeah... there's that. Maybe a reboot of Jaws should wait for a few more years.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM

Okay then...what about a giant shark with two heads?! ....Oh, wait....

Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Okay then...what about a giant shark with two heads?! ....Oh, wait....
...caught up in a tornado.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
...caught up in a tornado.
Ooh yeah! and battling a giant Octopus too!....I almost gave up, but now we're onto something original!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Perils of Pauline was rebooted in the 60's. Big flop, as I recall.

There are some stories that are just so powerful and have such powers of connection with their audience that they always hold up well. Every 10 years or less, there's a new bunch of viewers who never saw the older versions.
The trick is to make a reboot a notch better in some way- a better script always works, but so can a very highly popular actor as lead, jazzier special effects, and other elements.

The age of the original is also important. The movie Jaws was a blockbuster that suffered 3 increasingly terrible sequels, but the story is still as potent as ever. Given the right timing, and with the sophistication of special effects now, I think it could be redone and be even better than the original.
Jaws is a classic that should never, ever, ever be rebooted, remade or "special editioned". Yes the shark looked fake compared to what can be done with CGI these days but you notice that what gave the movie it's real suspense was that you didn't even see the shark at all until near the end of the film and even then you really didn't get to see much of it really. If they did any kind of reboot or remake and they start showing the shark more often and much more realistic it would seriously destroy the movie. Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should.

Speaking of reboots....was that Tim Burton version of Planet of the Apes considered a reboot? And speaking of pre Star Wars sci fi....I'd love for someone to do a gritty reboot or remake of Logans Run. I'm really suprised nobody has even done it yet.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Jaws is a classic that should never, ever, ever be rebooted, remade or "special editioned". Yes the shark looked fake compared to what can be done with CGI these days but you notice that what gave the movie it's real suspense was that you didn't even see the shark at all until near the end of the film and even then you really didn't get to see much of it really. If they did any kind of reboot or remake and they start showing the shark more often and much more realistic it would seriously destroy the movie. Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should.
That's a big pet peeve of mine lately, CGI blood. Almost ruined the new Coen Brother's True Grit (2010) for me, when Mattie shoots Tom Chaney above the snake pit. Just plain lazy, if you ask me. How hard would it have been to tape some blook packets to Josh Brolin's back for effect? I still loved the film though.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:02 PM

Here's a movie that might be a good reboot though..... To Live and Die in LA.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:55 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Totall agree. JAWS is a hallowed classic that should remain in its current condition.

That being said, I'd love for a talented filmmaker to reimagine JAWS. Don't make it about a killer shark. You could make the same basic story in an entirely different story. Instead of a shark in New England, make it a dragon in the Middle Ages. When you think about it, JAWS is really just a new coat of paint on BEOWULF anyway.

Quote:
I'd love for someone to do a gritty reboot or remake of Logans Run. I'm really suprised nobody has even done it yet.
A Logan's Run remake is one of those movies that is always in the works but never seems to get off the ground. It's still supposedly in the works. See: BioShock creator confirmed as scriptwriter for Logan's Run remake But I'll believe it when I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies