Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM

810 posts, read 1,809,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If Hollywood wants to reboot, why do go waaayyyy back to a movie series that most Americans don't remember?

The Perils of Pauline (1914 serial) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But who can play Pauline?

...Because it's a series that most Americans don't remember.

Part of what goes into making a good reboot or remake lies on the legacy that said movie or series has, While some of those rebooted series are pretty old, a good number of people still remember it or have at least heard about it.

Why did The Lone Ranger bomb in the box office and with critics? Part of the reason lies in that it was marketed to a younger audience that has probably never heard of the Lone Ranger until they saw the trailer. Yes, it was a beloved radio and later television series, but it wasn't marketed to those people who were around for the television series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,827,943 times
I actually meant to post "Why not go waayyyy back to a movie series..."

I was trying to make a joke, as Hollywood seems to have run out of ideas!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,160,683 times
there's nothing new under the sun. google directors who remade their own films.

without reboots there would'nt be michael mann's heat (1995).

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 07-31-2013 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,488,874 times
It is okay in some instances...but what we have now is zero creativity...everyone is just grasping at every single shred of the past to remake/reboot. It's old!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,156,924 times
Amazing Spiderman 2 coming out next summer.

Robocop remake coming out Feb 2014.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,131,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Generally, because the last film or films in the series wrecked the franchise. It's why we call them "reboots." If your system crashes, you turn it off and start over.

Cases in point:

Raimi's Spidey films. First one was okay. Second one was fantastic. Third one was horrible. The fourth one that they began was even worse than the third. But Spidey is Marvel's A#1 character, so they cleaned the slate and started over.

Star Trek. The original cast members are either no longer with us or far too old to be plausible adventurers. The last couple of NextGen films were almost SyFy Channel quality bad. Patrick Stewart was no longer interested in the role. The last Trek TV foray didn't do so well. So again, the studio thought they'd try a reboot. It worked.

In the star trek reboot, they thought of a clever way to completely rework iconic characters. It was genius.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:53 AM

144 posts, read 304,467 times
I liked the Spiderman and Star Trek reboots.
What I find irritating and confusing is how quickly we had another Hulk origin movie, I didn't think the first was so terrible but they sure make it obvious they thought it was when they so quickly do it all over again. Sure Norton ends up making the better film than Eric Bana (who?) but the Bana hulk was only a few years old, why not just do a sequel with a different story.
And then you have the new Superman which I've yet to see but does look good. Yes, that Superman a few years ago wasn't very good, again like Hulk another WEIRD casting decision with the veritable unknown young actor whose name I can't even think of...and again the obvious admission just a few years later they screwed up with another Superman origin story though this one looks much better. Why couldn't they get it right the FIRST TIME?!
Remakes of more obscure 70s or older movies I don't mind nearly as much as they are bringing the story to an actual NEW generation, and not 5-6 years later retelling the same damn story. And often they alter characters or key plot points so even if you've seen the original you can still be surprised.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,101,563 times
they need to reboot the goonies,

Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,836,948 times
I am very tired of the reboots. They take the original concept, characters, timeline, etc. And totally rework them to their views. It takes away from the memories of the original .

Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,574,694 times
Do we really need a sequel to Horrible Bosses? Like it or not, we're getting one.

Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies