Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:59 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,934,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20
My sister was one of those people. There were several films, such as the LOTR trilogy (though she'd skip through the boring parts) which she'd literally watch many times.
Yup I have many movies I have loved thru my life I love to watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:34 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
I used to be quite obsessive about movies when I was young, and would go to see certain ones again and again at the cinema.

Barbarella - don't ask me why, but this film fascinated me. Jane Fonda, the costumes, the music, the strange story. I couldn't even guess how many times I saw this film. I got over it, and don't even own a DVD copy of it.

Funny Girl - this must be the film I have seen more times than any other. I think it was because I thought Barbra Streisand was so good in it, and at the time, she was probably the biggest star in the world. I also bought all her records at this time. Most of them, I still have.........

The Natural - Something about the storyline of this movie held my attention greatly. I think it's the best thing Robert Redford ever did.

There are certain classic movies also I have seen many times over a long period of time. When I was young, such movies were on the telly all the time. So Bette Davis and I, became constant acquaintances ....... Errol Flynn also held my attention with repeated viewings of his best films.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:26 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,806,953 times
Movies I can watch again and again, anytime:

Tombstone
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Blazing Saddles
Sleepless in Seattle
Weird Science
Amadeus
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Last of the Mohicans
Top Gun

Old 06-23-2016, 08:10 AM

7,341 posts, read 6,965,998 times
I have over 2K+ movies in my library and growing DVD VHS and in Terabyte .
I don't watch the same movie repeatedly, but I do parous the library, for things I haven't seen in a while.
I think the first and only time I did that was when Star Wars first came out , 4 times in one month.
Boy the quality of acting and performance has sure changed in the last 20 years.
But I still enjoy movies from the 40s and 50s too. Laurel and hardy and Buster Keaton are still a kick in the pants.
Even have a few silent movies as well .
I have only a few cartoons mostly early ones, current work is so embarrassingly stupid, it's not worth being called entertainment.
Certain animations now are good, toy story , finding Nemo and such and the more life like works, the latest jungle book was outstanding.
About the only kind of movie I have no interest in what so ever is Horror, because it's so lame.
When I buy a movie ,I wait till it has come down in price to about $5. or $10. ,
I have a little book I have my library in , I haven't kept up with it for a while the pages are full and worn out. so I have accidentally gotten being duplicates that I simply use as gifts .
My brother and I share movies.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:10 AM

8,392 posts, read 13,542,491 times
Major movie freak here or, used to be I guess. Out of the 2000+ DVDs I own, I suppose I could do away with close to half because I probably will never watch them again but the rest, I can and do.

Even mediocre action (mostly Martial Arts), Sci-Fi and Comedy movies are definitely re-watchable just as long as I find it entertaining for some reason.

Anything from The Time Machine or Forbidden Planet to The Alien to Star Wards to The Clash of the Titans to Predator to Robocop to Blue Thunder to Judge Dredd to Lost in Space to Serenity....

I even like slow Sci-Fis with drama or thrill like Moon or No Escape.

I do find myself becoming a lot more selective and less attached to the newer movies though.
I think watching movies also brings me back in time to those younger years where I find some sort of a subconscious comfort and joy.

I hardly ever go to the movies any more, maybe once a year but up until a few years ago, I'd go at least once a month.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,114,941 times
Of the ones that come to mind a few dozen times for these:

Apocalypse Now
All the Rockys but have only seen Creed once.
West Side Story
Silent Spring

These between 15 & 20 times:

The Time Machine 1960 version. When it first came out it played at the Saturday matinee for weeks. I went every week. Couple cartoons and a movie for pocket change. Always watch it when it's on TV.
Jason and the Argonauts
The Fly with Vincent Price
Braveheart
Stalag 17
The Great Escape
The Caine Mutiny
Taxi Driver
Death Wish
Cool Hand Luke
The Birds
Deer Hunter
The Warriors
The Naked Jungle
Groundhog Day
Midnight Express

These 5 to 10 times
The Shining
Philadelphia
Paint Your Wagon

More times than I would have preferred due to family:
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
Sound of Music
Mary Poppins
Cinderella,
Pinocchio
Snow White
Pocohantas
LionKing

Dumbo is the one Disney cartoon movie I would watch voluntarily.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:43 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,680,221 times
I love movies so many great ones

A lot of movies I'll have on while doing other things.

Top Gun
All Rocky's
Rambo
Lampoon' Vacation
Terminator 1 & 2
Back to the Future
Fatal Attraction
As Good as it Gets

Last edited by 70's Music Girl; 06-25-2016 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 07:28 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,093,663 times
These are ones I own:

Absence of Malice
All the President's Men
American Graffitti
Bullitt
Cast Away
Dirty Harry
Driving Miss Daisy
Horse Whisperer, The
House Calls
In the Heat of the Night
Nevada Smith
Now Voyager
Odd Couple, The
Psycho
River Runs Through It, A
Sound of Music, The
Spencer's Mountain
Summer Place, A
Vertigo

As far as what comes on TV or I get from the library: movies with Bogie, Gene Tierney, Tyrone Power, James Cagney, James Stewart, Olivia de Havilland (she will be turning 100 years old next month!), Maureen O'Hara, Henry Fonda, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, etc., etc., just about any from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

And of course the Laurel and Hardy comedies.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:57 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,992,510 times
I will never go out of my way to watch a movie twice. If a movie I like has made it onto TV I may watch if I see it on. Never understood people buying movies or having DVD collections. Waste of money to me...

Old 07-06-2016, 03:51 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,492,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
We had a thread like this in "Books." I'm definitely a person who can read books over and over and watch movies over and over. To me it's more about the comfort & familiarity of a story, characters and scenery I know. Like listening to an old song you love.
Would you ever say "why would you listen to that song again when you've heard it already?" Probably not.

Watching movies I like over and over, and reading a book I like over and over, is like visiting an old friend.
Ditto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies