Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times

Advertisements

My first bike was a Suzuki Savage 650, it was great for learning on, but I wouldn't take it down I-95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
Find at least a 250 to start with. My Silverwing is a 600 and I just love it!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 PM

265 posts, read 801,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
What trips do people have planned for the riding season.
I am thinking of riding to Cape Breton, take the ferry to Newfoundland, continue to Labrador and go back through Quebec. That seems like quite a nice ride.

I don't think I could ride in a large group and prefer to travel lonely roads where you hardly see any other traffic.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
My first bike was a Suzuki Savage 650, it was great for learning on, but I wouldn't take it down I-95.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Find at least a 250 to start with. My Silverwing is a 600 and I just love it!!!
Thanks for the tips! I guess that's what has me confused.
lialleycat wouldn't put her 650 on the highway...driftwoodpoint, do you take the 600 on the highway?

Or maybe what your saying is start as small as possible and work up to highway legal/worthy?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Thanks for the tips! I guess that's what has me confused.
lialleycat wouldn't put her 650 on the highway...driftwoodpoint, do you take the 600 on the highway?

Or maybe what your saying is start as small as possible and work up to highway legal/worthy?
A silverwing is larger visually than my little Savage was. I felt as a 5'0" woman on a low to the ground little bike that I was more than invisible to the cellphone using, makeup applying drivers in SUV's on Long Island. Traffic is awful here. Off the island, I'd consider using it more. I'm actually considering a Suzuki Bergman 400, which I'd more than happily take down the highway.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 AM

371 posts, read 937,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
A silverwing is larger visually than my little Savage was. I felt as a 5'0" woman on a low to the ground little bike that I was more than invisible to the cellphone using, makeup applying drivers in SUV's on Long Island. Traffic is awful here. Off the island, I'd consider using it more. I'm actually considering a Suzuki Bergman 400, which I'd more than happily take down the highway.
Yeah but you looked HOT!!!
I know...I'm biased

Lets go look at scooters Lady!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
This site has alot of useful info. aimed at women riders, regardless of height, and lists the recommended rider heights for most different motorcycle brands & models. Probably also take a look at the weight of whatever you're interested in... to see whether it might feel too light (like the 650 Savage) or too top heavy (like the 883 Sportster). Oh, and be sure to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course in your area (plus it'll lower your insurance). Happy Trails!

http://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycles_for_shorter_riders.htm

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
lialleycat, good to know about being low to the ground in comparison to the SUVs. I'm in upstate NY - where it's SUVs every other vehicle.

mateo45, thx for the link. I have only talked with 3 female riders; 2 ride Harleys & the other tours the country on a Goldwing with her husband.
All 3 of those bikes look mammoth in my eyes....kind of like the "ride" on lialleycat's profile pic!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
lialleycat, good to know about being low to the ground in comparison to the SUVs. I'm in upstate NY - where it's SUVs every other vehicle.

mateo45, thx for the link. I have only talked with 3 female riders; 2 ride Harleys & the other tours the country on a Goldwing with her husband.
All 3 of those bikes look mammoth in my eyes....kind of like the "ride" on lialleycat's profile pic!
Yes, NY is the land of SUV's!

The Goldwing is a big bike. I don't think I'd be able to touch the ground on that, never mind be flat footed! LOL! But I'd happily ride on the back of one!

The Savage was a good learning bike, and it's pretty dang cheap too. Might be a good first bike to learn on. It has more power than most of the little bikes it's size, but is still small and easy to learn on. I actually was able to sell mine a year later for MORE than what I bought it for. So they hold their value. Buy one, ride it see what you'd want in your next bike through the experience and they sell it to the next newbie and trade up.

And the vehicle in my profile pic would certainly hold it's own against any SUV!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 PM

182 posts, read 502,752 times
Default Gas mileage

Wow, my gas mileage has changed alot in the last two weeks. I don't know if its the warmer weather or the gas has changed to a summer blend. I was getting right around 49-50 mpg and now I'm getting 56 mpg. BTW I've put 1500 miles on the Kawasaki Versys this year, ie March and April, not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles