Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM

3,189 posts, read 5,005,709 times

Advertisements

I am just the opposite!

When I pull in, the other riders mock me for having the dirtiest bike. It's got water spots, dirt, grime, and the front is covered with dead bug carcasses. I have never actually washed it...I allow riding in the rain to do that.

I just tell them that while they are polishing and cleaning, I'm out tearing up the roads. They are meant to be ridden, not looked at! I also have like 3 times the mileage as bikes of the same era to prove it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,332,836 times
KoobleKar: I feel the same way except for riding in rain. I don't usually do that if I can help it, although when it's as hot as it's been lately, it feels great to get into a cooling shower. But, the only part of my bike I regularly try to keep clean are the fork tubes above the seals.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:17 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,092,906 times
KoobleKar, My bike can get pretty nasty between cleanings, but I clean it enough to preserve it. I want to retain it's value so long as is possible.

Living in New Hampshire USA, means it is hard on vehicals in the first place with road salts in use the whole year. 2 Kinds of salts, one to melt snow and one to cut road dusts. In fact the summer dust cutter salt is far worse on metals.

Last year I had a minor crash with a jeep that hit a moose, and so replaced the ft fender, the only part damaged. Before I installed it i painted the underside with 10 coats of rustolum satin black to seal the poor underside factory paint, and then sprayed on rocker panel stone guard.

I use Lusterlace products on paint and chrome to keep them mint, but not each ride. Maybe once in 3 months. Since I do 100% maint myself on anything cars, trucks and bikes I have it pays me to keep things with in reason.

I hope you do pre flight checks often even if you don't clean much.

These past few years haven't let me have that much time to ride so you probably have me beat there. Last weekend I may have added on another 1,000, but haven't touched the bike since it was parked and won't this weekend at all but might get another 1,000 this coming weekend as friends will be around.

I sort of lost interest in being a high miles guy after crossing the USA both ways and a 1/2 and making that trip 15,000 miles non stop. NH to Cal, to Fla to Arkansas,to hang out in the TN Ky Areas. That was enough to let high miles go.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 AM

I keep the bike mechanically perfect. Most everything that can pick up road grime is plastic. The only chrome on the bike is the license plate frame, the instrument bezels, and the headlight surround. My fork tubes have little black plastic guards which keeps the grime off of the area that slides. It's a 1996, so it's got 14 years worth of dirt (less what the rain washes away).

Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 PM

KoobleKar: Those little plastic guards on the forks probably aren't enough to protect your fork seals from crusted-on road grime and dried bug remains! I found out the hard way ($$$).

Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM

this a crotch rocket? maybe duel sport? My 06 Nomad is a frieght liner of a bike, heavy, slow, steady, and solid, loaded with chrome, steel fenders and expensive paint.

My 81 triple yammi is clean and fast.

Honda did a study on failed fork seals and what they came up with is bettle wings cut the seals. I guess I can see that.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
KoobleKar: Those little plastic guards on the forks probably aren't enough to protect your fork seals from crusted-on road grime and dried bug remains! I found out the hard way ($$$).
These are plastic guards that clamp to the lower part of the fork and stick up about 4-4.5 inches, shielding top from all the dead bugs and grime.

On any of my bikes that I own, I have rebuilt the front fork myself so it only costs me the price of the seals and/or new springs.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
this a crotch rocket?
No, it's a Sport-Tourer:

Old 08-08-2010, 09:17 PM

I clicked to properties and copied the link, to see the bike. Nice bike, is that one yours, or another like it? I am old school and probably older than you, so my tastes are different and if there wen't my neck it self could cause problems on some bikes, but not yours, i could atleast ride that type of bike. My son has a 750 Gixxer i can only ride for 10 minutes before my neck goes nuts. I broke it in a crash way back in 79.

The body work makes it easier for less cleaning. My Nomad is a lot more naked for a heavy cruiser, and it needs detail cleaning to stay alive. With the sealer I use it cleans up quick.

I expect this Nomad will be my last modern bike. The triple is hard to get parts for and so I don't consider it reliable, not that anything is wrong. But it took me a year to get a used charging system, as a spare. I have one entire spare and a 2nd spare stator.

The Triple must stay close to home, no father than I am willing to go get it and trailer it since there is 0 parts anywhere if something breaks on a long trip.

Most often my wife rides pillion and we go far, so I am not sure we could both do that on a bike like yours. The Nomad even can pull a trailer. You have that power, but i am not sure due to the way the bike is built if trailers are possible or not.

It's fine by me if you are proud of your bug collection too.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
These are plastic guards that clamp to the lower part of the fork and stick up about 4-4.5 inches, shielding top from all the dead bugs and grime.
I stand corrected. I don't suppose I could get some of those for a 1984 V65 Sabre. I envy your mechanical aptitude as well.

I can't view the photo that you posted.

Mac, when I bought my Sabre in 1998, it came with a big heavy welded-together trailer hitch that weighs about 25-30 pounds. I understand that its first owner had a trailer he pulled with it (I'm the third owner).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles