Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times

Advertisements

They have much bigger wheels and tires than the smaller scooters, making them more like motorcycles in handling. Don't imagine that riding a Burgman or SilverWing at 90 mph is like riding a very fast old Vespa or Lambretta! I rather like them; I just wish they had manual transmissions, since I like to shift gears and use a clutch...been motorcycle riding for too long, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
They have much bigger wheels and tires than the smaller scooters, making them more like motorcycles in handling. Don't imagine that riding a Burgman or SilverWing at 90 mph is like riding a very fast old Vespa or Lambretta! I rather like them; I just wish they had manual transmissions, since I like to shift gears and use a clutch...been motorcycle riding for too long, I guess.

That's the thing I kinda LIKE about them myself...no shifting,no clutch,perfect balance and just easy as can be.....I have drank soda,talked on my cell phone,talked on the two way radio(constantly),poured sunflower seeds in my hand etc etc etc all while going down the road on one of these things....

and you are very right...100mph + on the back of one of them is as smooth as glass and so quiet that it's almost eerie.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 PM

20 posts, read 113,213 times
I ride a Suzuki Burgman 650 exec as a daily driver. I use my bike to get groceries including dogfood, bottled water, and everything else. It has plenty of power and a top-speed over 100mph (a texas state trooper reminded me once). When I ride with a group I am the only scooter, the others are large cruisers (Harleys, VTXS, etc). In the twisties, my bike handles them the best, except of course for the sportbikes. Other riders who test ride my bike swear they are on a large motorcycle and say it is not a scooter. The only thing sccoterish about it is the storage and the step-thru area.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3253 View Post
I ride a Suzuki Burgman 650 exec as a daily driver. I use my bike to get groceries including dogfood, bottled water, and everything else. It has plenty of power and a top-speed over 100mph (a texas state trooper reminded me once). When I ride with a group I am the only scooter, the others are large cruisers (Harleys, VTXS, etc). In the twisties, my bike handles them the best, except of course for the sportbikes. Other riders who test ride my bike swear they are on a large motorcycle and say it is not a scooter. The only thing sccoterish about it is the storage and the step-thru area.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM

371 posts, read 938,234 times
That's what the g/f wants...Bergman 400...
Get her feet wet on a Kymco 150 first...

Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
That's what the g/f wants...Bergman 400...
Get her feet wet on a Kymco 150 first...
Red, the 400 is VERY easy to ride and you might as well put her on the 400 first without going through the Kymco purchase and trade.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 AM

371 posts, read 938,234 times
^^^^^^^We were discussing the idea of finding a good used one...Or just saying heck with it and getting a new one with a warrenty...

Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
^^^^^^^We were discussing the idea of finding a good used one...Or just saying heck with it and getting a new one with a warrenty...
The 400 is in the $5500 neighborhood new,but I saw a '07 with around 3500 miles on it in your area go on Ebay for $3300(it had a Givi trunk,Aero grips and a backreast already on it too) a couple of weeks ago and they don't even start breaking in good till around 10,000 miles......I know a dozen or more folks that have 400s and 650s and have never heard of ANYONE having a problem with one needing warranty work,but like everything else I'm sure they are out there.....I watch a dozen different sites for them because they sell good around here too and if I see one close to you reasonably priced, I'll send you a link to it

Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
The 400 is in the $5500 neighborhood new,but I saw a '07 with around 3500 miles on it in your area go on Ebay for $3300(it had a Givi trunk,Aero grips and a backreast already on it too) a couple of weeks ago and they don't even start breaking in good till around 10,000 miles......I know a dozen or more folks that have 400s and 650s and have never heard of ANYONE having a problem with one needing warranty work,but like everything else I'm sure they are out there.....I watch a dozen different sites for them because they sell good around here too and if I see one close to you reasonably priced, I'll send you a link to it
Thanks for all the information, Muleskinner! I'm the g/f NYRed's always referring to. I'm still not sure if I should go with a cheap scoot for a commuter or jump in and get the Bergman. I also have the issue of no garage, so the scoot will have to live with the lawnmower in a 8X10 shed! The Kymco is smaller and easier for me to move around in the shed and would be cheaper too. When I move to PA, I'd just sell the Kymco and buy a Bergman down there. I WILL have a garage in my next place!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Thanks for all the information, Muleskinner! I'm the g/f NYRed's always referring to. I'm still not sure if I should go with a cheap scoot for a commuter or jump in and get the Bergman. I also have the issue of no garage, so the scoot will have to live with the lawnmower in a 8X10 shed! The Kymco is smaller and easier for me to move around in the shed and would be cheaper too. When I move to PA, I'd just sell the Kymco and buy a Bergman down there. I WILL have a garage in my next place!
You should at least make that old cheapskate take you somewhere to test ride a Burgman just for s&g....make him buy you a good dinner while you are at it too j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles