Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,983,407 times

Advertisements

I just thought of finding a good bike mechanic and rigging the left grip to operate the gearshift by twisting while your fingers are operating the clutch. You could use a cable in sheath like the throttle cable but heavier so it could push on the shift lever. Then all the controls, except the rear brake , would be on the handlebars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 04:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,270,776 times
Muleskinner: I agree, the Aprilia 850 Mana automatic is the state of the art. I just read a road test in Motorcycle News, and it did very well. 13.52 seconds in the quarter is great for an automatic!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,128,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Muleskinner: I agree, the Aprilia 850 Mana automatic is the state of the art. I just read a road test in Motorcycle News, and it did very well. 13.52 seconds in the quarter is great for an automatic!
Crazy ain't it!!!! I know a guy running around here on a Burgman 650 all tricked out that will push your guts up into your rib cage on take off up till about 90mph....it just flat screams.....cool as hell

Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,108,858 times
the thing with the Burgman and all other "traditional" scoots is the small wheels/tires.

if you're just going to cruise along, in mostly straight line riding, you'll never know the difference.

but if you really want to enjoy the twisties, you need the seating position and wheel diameter of something that is more akin to a mainstream moto...

Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 PM

190 posts, read 682,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
the thing with the Burgman and all other "traditional" scoots is the small wheels/tires.

if you're just going to cruise along, in mostly straight line riding, you'll never know the difference.

but if you really want to enjoy the twisties, you need the seating position and wheel diameter of something that is more akin to a mainstream moto...

So you have obviously never ridden a Burgman. If anything the complete opposite of you what you said is true.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,128,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post

So you have obviously never ridden a Burgman. If anything the complete opposite of you what you said is true.
You are right 100%....You can flick them through curves like you are on a rail.

There is a drawback to them for some of us.

It's the fact that your biker buddies from your past "glory days" will make never ending fun of you for riding one.....that is until you put a whoopin' on them with one

EXAMPLE
I have a friend I USED to ride with occasionally who has an old 74" shovelhead that he brags on all the time as being a monster to anyone that will listen to him for 10 seconds (he's a newbie and it's his first bike and the fact that he has zero bike knowledge shines brightly through ....He grew his hair out and is growing him a "biker "beard now,his old lady is now into half top HD shirtsetc etc etc,but a good dude all the same...sometimes)....

I didn't want to hurt his fragile ego right off the bat when he first got his bike by showing him the major difference between a stock 100hp + flat six motor and that scrap yard refugee he was riding,so when we rode together I would just let him do his thing....that is until he started bigheading me in front of other folks about the Valk....I then started leaving him in the dust every single time we left a stop light or stop sign and the more folks around when I did it the better imo.....he quit riding around me before to long because I'm not "cool" and he found some psuedo badasses to ride with that are more like him....Stupid.

Flash forward to this past summer and he sees me at the store on my scooter for the first time and I thought I was going to have to call EMS because he was losing his air from laughing so hard at me(keep in mind that this idiot now has about two thousand bike riding miles or less under his belt at this point in time).....I really had no defense because I DID look like a fruit when he saw me.......my kid was on the back,pink flowered helmet( this is the identical one Product Index and is a result of her and her Mom going helmet shopping without me) with Ipod wires hanging out of it and a pink Ipod to boot....I was wearing Reeboks for the FIRST time in my life out in public(that is no joke...I got them in the mid 90's for a camping trip and they still look brand new,but 100 yrs out of "fashion"BRIGHT white) instead of my normal steel toed cowboy work boots and while relating the story later at the coffee shop ,he stated that I was also wearing a PINK button up shirt when he saw me,it was actually PEACH colored....he kept this BS up everytime I saw him(ALWAYS in a public place in front of mutual friends) and at times I really had to supress a near overwhelming urge to stomp him (I have been going to Church for a few years now and everybody around here is waiting on me to blow sky high from repressed rage and go back to my old ways and just start kicking the crap out of folks like I used to...I have to leave in the middle of conversations A LOT at the coffee shop anymore so as to not ruin my "witness" as the preacher calls it and just go to stooge slapping some idiot).I'm trying tho' and that's all that counts in my book.

I finally got him back the way Jesus would...I let him hang himself (freewill and all ya know)

I started out of town last fall and he was sitting at the station getting ready to pull out and head the opposite way as I was heading,but I watched him in the mirrors and he instead turned and headed my way......I eased up so he could catch up to me while we were still in the middle of town(I needed witnesses for what was coming next)....he caught up and pulled right next to me with a possum eating crap grin and gouged his throttle a couple of times and went to laughing (keep in mind we are going through the middle of OUR small town where EVERYONE knows us and he,at this point,thinks he is "schooling" me for all those times I publicly humiliated him with the F6)......I gouged mine a couple of times LIGHTLY and boom,it was on.....before he could shift out of second I was at least 5 bike lengths in front of him and he panicked and you could hear him floating the valves on that pig as he over revved it....by the time he hit 3rd it was all over but the crying and I was 30 plus bike lengths ahead of him..... I pulled over at the edge of town and as soon as he pulled up the excuses started...."I missed 3rd...It went to cutting out,I think I have water in the fuel.....I was a low birth weight baby and my Momma didn't love me)

I said "I'm sorry...heck,let's try it again back through the center of town and I'll spot you 20 bike lengths to cover all of your malfunctions including the fact that you were born a water head baby".....I was gambling big with that offer because I knew with a good rider on the back of his bike it would have been MUCH closer and although I firmly believe that I would have still won,it wouldn't have been the Hiroshima sized azz whoopin' that he just got....but it paid off in my favor because he just kept making excuses and left out for home with his tail tucked between his legs....and me? I headed back to the coffee shop to build the story among the witnesses.....Somedays it's a beautiful thang' to be a carnivore ain't it

I now have a retirement fantasy that I'll share with you,but STAY OUT OF MY AREA IF YOU DECIDE TO COPY ME!!!

When I get old enough to retire I intend to buy a new Burgman 650 (unless they have a 900cc out by then...that would be even sweeter for my plan)....

I'll change the decals on the side panels to a "150"....add a tuned pipe that I will sand the shiney off of and paint flat stove pipe black,add a bullydog over ride chip,kevlar belt and whatever go fast goodies they have available by then to this little rocket ship......I will then (assuming I still HAVE hair) go and get the fruitiest(is that even a word?) haircut/gel doo that I can get...a floweredy(sp?) Hawaiian shirt,penny loafers and a pair of Docker shorts(ICK!) ....I will then start cruising to the wannabe bad boy biker bars and park out front among the multitude of H.O.G. bikes and walk in,order a soda with an umbrella in it and then head back outside among the bikes and start telling the posers how awesome their bikes are and at that point they will be very smug (even tho' I'm 6'3" you'll have to remember how I'll be dressed) towards me.....I will ask my victim if his bike is fast and mention that I JUST bought a scooter and it's pretty fast too...one thing will lead to another,a lot of laughing by the dudes buddies,money will be bet and you can envision the rest of the story....As I said,somedays it's good to be a carnivore.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
at what speeds are we talking here ?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
at what speeds are we talking here ?
Not sure exactly what you are looking for since that pretty much varies with the road.
I ride canyons and mountains. I can be in twisties in 5 minutes from my house. I ride daily and have both a Burgman and a motorcycle.
My scoot has no problem keeping up with and even ahead of a lot cruisers in the twisties. It is not a sport bike but small wheels are not the factor that keeps it back.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM

the more I think about it, yes -- there's more to it than wheel size.

scooters typically have a lower center of gravity, which helps handling.

but they typically have a short wheelbase too (though I'm seeing some monstrous scooters on the road these days).

I just like having a bigger wheel / tire, because that way there's much more rubber in contact with the road...

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM

I think you would find that the majority of sport bikes have shorter wheelbases than maxi scooters.
I'm no engineer but I doubt a few inches size difference in tires puts "much" more rubber on the road. I see at least one sport bike rider that has lost it every week in the canyons. I have yet to see a scooter go over
Really it is impossible to judge until you try one. I would never claim they are for everyone but it is quite surprising what they can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles