Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,063,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Funny - I think it rather is.

Yeahyeahyeah, it's a principled stance. Fight The Man! Now ask yourself, is this a worthy cause? A hill worth dying on?

Yep. Because spoiled brats couldn't contain themselves. Is it overreach? Yes. Could it have been avoided? Of course - if the owners of noisy motorcycles had shown some self-restraint. That would have been the far superior solution, but noooooo - they're free spirits, not to be shackled by civility and common sense.

It seems we now agree that people with noisy pipes are a-holes. That is something, I guess.

I see the option of the a-holes behaving decently isn't on the table? Why is it that we should just quietly surrender to them?

A-holes with noisy pipes know full well that there's no way for your common police cruiser to drag the necessary gear around. That's the loophole they've been exploiting. They got the attention they so desperately seeked, and the loophole is coming to an end.

As for the crybabies, I don't who that's directed at - I for one love motorcycles, have been riding for decades here and in Europe. And I seem to be able to do so fairly safely without sounding like a box of bolts being jackhammered.
More pure BS.

Good luck trying to get everybody in the world to agree with you, and obey you. This must be some trip you're on.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,088,868 times
So can we officially mark today as the day that GarageLogic lost his mind?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
So can we officially mark today as the day that GarageLogic lost his mind?
No, you can mark this as the day Garage Logic lost his patience with some whining, totally illogical crybabies. That would be more accurate.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go run out in my beater & boxers, and scream at the neighbor kid who's playing basketball at 11:00 PM and annoying the heck out of me... Then I'm going to call the police. After all, how DARE he do ANYTHING that makes ANY noise I don't like?!?!?!?!

Old 08-02-2013, 04:31 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,399,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
And still, you simply do NOT get it. What's worse is that you don't even get that you don't get it. Typical extremist-liberal.
The lack of substance in your replies here lately is nauseating. And I don't know how you figure I'm an "extremist-liberal", but that would be irrelevant to the topic (as is almost everything you've said up until this point).

Back on track. Do you or do you not understand my argument, that since there is zero evidence that loud pipes save lives, and no established practical purpose for them being so loud in general, there is no justification for someone forcing everyone else around them to endure this noise just because they personally like the sound?

Can the juvenile insults, attempts to derail the thread with comparisons that have been shown to be flawed, over-exaggerations of our stance and/or reasoning, slippery slope theories, etc. and just address the argument before you, if you don't mind.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:40 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,386,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
Really?

I ran into an ear-splitting Harley guy today, and you could tell from his super cool Sons of Anarchy outfit and smirk that he thought he was the bees' knees. The thing is... I'm a motorcyclist, and he annoyed the **** out of me. People don't think those people are cool... We think they're douchebags.
I like my ear splitting pipes now and then, but I never did get why people feel like they need to dress up like a Village People member just to ride a motorcycle. Most of the time you see me, I'm wearing jeans and a hoodie. I do have a leather vest, but it's cause I wanted a place to put all my ride pins. I regularly do long distance and endurance rides in excess of 2000 miles.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,386,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The lack of substance in your replies here lately is nauseating. And I don't know how you figure I'm an "extremist-liberal", but that would be irrelevant to the topic (as is almost everything you've said up until this point).

Back on track. Do you or do you not understand my argument, that since there is zero evidence that loud pipes save lives, and no established practical purpose for them being so loud in general, there is no justification for someone forcing everyone else around them to endure this noise just because they personally like the sound?

Can the juvenile insults, attempts to derail the thread with comparisons that have been shown to be flawed, over-exaggerations of our stance and/or reasoning, slippery slope theories, etc. and just address the argument before you, if you don't mind.
I will agree that the lives argument is probably BS. Why are MY pipes loud? I just plain love the way it sounds. I don't really care much that others don't. I'm not obnoxious with them, at least in my neighborhood, but when I hit the interstate, all bets are off. I'm no different than the guy with the Mustang, or the kids with fart cans on their Hondas. Yet you seem to single us out, why?

Old 08-02-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The lack of substance in your replies here lately is nauseating.
Feel free to be nauseated. The fact that you absolutely refuse to even read or understand what I've said - points that pound every silly argument of yours into the ground, is not my problem.
And I don't know how you figure I'm an "extremist-liberal", but that would be irrelevant to the topic (as is almost everything you've said up until this point). Actually, you're just another of these little people who is trying to control every facet of OTHER people's lives. Yes, that's the paradigm of an extremist liberal.

Back on track. Do you or do you not understand my argument, that since there is zero evidence that loud pipes save lives, The fact that YOU say there is zero evidence does not mean there is zero evidence. and no established practical purpose for them being so loud in general again, your opinion, there is no justification for someone forcing everyone else around them to endure this noise just because they personally like the sound? A faulty conclusion based on a personal opinion.

Now... I fully understand that you apparently believe you are God, and know all things - specifically that "loud pipes do NOT save lives - PERIOD!" However, your over-inflated view of your own opinion does NOT mean that it's fact.

Can the juvenile insults, attempts to derail the thread with comparisons that have been shown to be flawed, over-exaggerations of our stance and/or reasoning, slippery slope theories, etc. and just address the argument before you, if you don't mind. Pot, meet kettle.
You have PROVEN in this thread - and many others - that there is absolutely NO point in reasoning with you, or pointing out all manner of things that go against your opinion. You've made up your mind, and you cannot be bothered by anything like facts.

It is YOUR OPINION, and the opinion of CLOSED-MINDED PEOPLE LIKE YOU that "loud pipes do NOT save lives." And congratulations, there is no multi-million dollar study that proves you wrong, even though you wouldn't believe it if there was one. Again, you've already made up your mind, and you are God who knows everything, and that's the end of the story.

I can recount multiples times, when on the highway with my baffles removed, that I've seen deer in a nearby field pull up their head, look my way, then run the other way. But that, of course, is just anecdotal evidence and speaks nothing to a closed-minded individual such as yourself. You are, after all, God - and you know that cannot happen.

Multiple people - experienced riders - have spoken of hour their sound has gotten somebody's attention. But that is of no consequence to you, because you know everything, and you know that that cannot be true. What experienced riders say means nothing to you, because YOU know better.

Do "loud pipes save lives"? According to some riders, yes. According to you, absolutely not. And because you obviously know EVERYTHING, your opinion is the ONLY thing that matters.

Back to the point I've been making to all you crybabies who want to control everyone else's lives:
1. You don't need to enact legislation to combat motorcycle noise. The ordinances are already there, but they're not being enforced.
2. We are surrounded, all day every day, by things and people that make enormous amounts of unnecessary noise. If you're going to scream about motorcycle noise, at least have the integrity to scream about those other things.
3. Additional legislation all you crybabies want to enact - things such as making non-stock exhaust illegal, or motorcycles illegal -is STUPID, and will result in all manner of problems you simply cannot understand.
4. It is extremist liberals who always try to rule other people, and mandate their behavior, through laws. You're too cowardly to simply go over to the neighbor's house and ask him/her to be quiet. That'd requite face-to-face confrontation. So you take the coward's way out, and seek to force legislation. Congrats, cowards!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I will agree that the lives argument is probably BS. Why are MY pipes loud? I just plain love the way it sounds. I don't really care much that others don't. I'm not obnoxious with them, at least in my neighborhood, but when I hit the interstate, all bets are off. I'm no different than the guy with the Mustang, or the kids with fart cans on their Hondas. Yet you seem to single us out, why?
My point exactly.

And let's not forget the truckers who have the stock exhaust removed, and 6" or 8" straights on, resulting in 2-3 times the decibel of even the loudest bikes.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,045,381 times
There is too much to respond to in this thread so I just picked a couple.
Quote:
Actually, I'm busy calling the police right now. There's no way my neighbor should be allowed to make so !@#%$#@! much noise with his lawnmower. Another neighbor is running a chipper. This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
The difference is that your neighbor doesn't take his chipper to the store and wherever else. He's YOUR problem. Take him to small claims court if you feel that empowers you. Maybe he runs his chipper every day at six a.m. That would be unacceptable to me.

Quote:
Or better yet, be man enough to talk to the people who you think make too much noise. That's what I've done when neighbors were setting off fireworks at 1:00 AM, on July 20th. Weirdly enough - GASP - it worked!
This isn't safe and you know it. Trying to reason with a bunch of noisy jerks who might be drunk is just asking for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, I guess that little anecdote means that there are no loud pipes around, then. Problem solved. Oh, wait...
Quote:
Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go run out in my beater & boxers, and scream at the neighbor kid who's playing basketball at 11:00 PM and annoying the heck out of me... Then I'm going to call the police. After all, how DARE he do ANYTHING that makes ANY noise I don't like?!?!?!?!
Are you trying to say that there is no noise or situation that would annoy you?

Quote:
4. It is extremist liberals who always try to rule other people, and mandate their behavior, through laws. You're too cowardly to simply go over to the neighbor's house and ask him/her to be quiet. That'd requite face-to-face confrontation. So you take the coward's way out, and seek to force legislation. Congrats, cowards!
Extremist conservatives are guilty of this, too. In fact this is the basis of civilized society: laws will be enacted to force you to conform to what is expected in civilization. There are lots of laws and we follow them. Outlaws will find themselves marginalized until they are willing to conform, or just continue to offend.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:57 AM

364 posts, read 561,092 times
Well I haven't seen this thread for 24 hours, but from what I gather it basically has gone like this:

-Garage Logic calls everyone names.
-Other people try to point out to him the flaw in his thinking.
-He calls everyone who's trying to explain this to him names while failing to see any of the logic. (Ironic I think.)
-Multiple other people point out to him calmly why his thinking is flawed, that they do not want to legislate over other people, but that it will happen if guys continue riding around with straight pipes, all riders will see the bad end of it.
-He dances around flinging crap at all of them like he's won the argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles