Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,098,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If your antisocial behavior makes people look at my nice, quiet VFR as a menace - then, yes, you're the problem. I don't expect people to make me happy - but I do expect a modicum of consideration towards not actively disturbing the peace for recreation's sake. Call me old-fashioned.
I was riding my motorcycle once and came to a stop light. I remember a little girl and her parents were waiting on the side walk to cross. And the kid was glaring at me with the old stink eye and covering her ears. No doubt because she associated loud noise with motorcycles. My bike is quiet, so I drove off when the light changed barley making a noise. But you're right, these attention starved badasses give the rest of us a bad name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
You couldn't see (or smell) a pile of logic if a logic-dog took a logic-dump in your Cheerios.

I'm not even bothering to reply to GL's posts. It's just going to be a lot of wasted effort on my part.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 AM

47,089 posts, read 26,206,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Do you complain - at this volume - about all the other noises present in your little Utopia?
The 'tude is not making your case.

Interestingly, I can't off the cuff think of any recreational activities carried out where I live that make noise to the same extent. Some things are noisy by necessity when living in a modern society - emergency vehicles, construction etc. That's cool. But when people make noise for fun, the decent thing for them to do is to take their surroundings into consideration. And I don't care, once again, whether they're motorcyclists, bagpipers or collect antique foghorns.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,415,641 times
Quote:
Here's where it stands: Where are the crybabies going to stop?
A slippery slope theory. Okay then, let's see if one thing equals another...

Quote:
Some examples...
- It royally peeves me when I'm sitting on my back patio, and hear city buses & other trucks driving by - especially in the evening. Should they be illegal?
Well, of course you'll recall that I'm not for legislation making loud exhausts on motorcycles illegal, but I would say that people shouldn't do it because there is literally no reason to have or make motorcycle exhausts that loud for city streets.

That being said, we know that city buses and other trucks serve a very practical function. We know they are not making noise to look cool or tough or show off in any way. We do not know that about motorcyclists with loud exhausts.

Quote:
- It royally peeves me when I'm awakened by the garbage truck at 5:00 AM. Should we make it illegal for them to collect garbage in the middle of the night, and having them on the streets during rush hour instead?
You kind of answered your own question. It would seem letting the garbage truck collect garbage in the early morning would be more practical, would it not? Depending on where you live of course.

Quote:
- It chaps my hide that our dogs have to live in sheer terror, because idiots are lighting off fireworks at all hours of the night, for a month before and a month after the 4th of July. Shouldn't I try to legislate a city-wide ban on all fireworks?
You and I have discussed this already, and I agreed with you. I don't think people should be popping loud fireworks within city limits. Whether they should be able to legally is not my concern, but some cities do have bans on fireworks, right or wrong.

Quote:
- - It just grates my cheese that these teenagers drive by their idiot Donk Music literally shaking their cars, and rattling my windows. Doesn't matter what time of day. Shouldn't that crap be banned?
Naturally, I agree that this is over the line. Why would I be against loud exhausts but for this?

Quote:
- And why are truck drivers allowed to Jake Brake anywhere, let alone within a mile of any populated area? And speaking of trucks, why are they EVER allowed to drive around in residential areas?
Not familiar with the term, but as a general rule, I would say any noise that's as loud as these exhausts for no established practical purpose cannot be defended by a rational mind. See how that works? One man's preference for a sound does not mean everyone should have to hear it.

Quote:
To sum up: EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND ME, AND MY PREFERENCES!!!!
You're not kidding.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
To sum up: EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND ME, AND MY PREFERENCES!!!!
Are you familiar with the concept of "projection"? From where I'm sitting, you're the one subjecting the world to your preference for loud engine noise.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,088,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Are you familiar with the concept of "projection"? From where I'm sitting, you're the one subjecting the world to your preference for loud engine noise.
Oh believe me, I'm very familiar with it - just as I am with neighborhood crybabies.

You must live a horribly pathetic little life, if all you can do is sit around and whine about motorcycle noise. Good lawdy, your life must suck! Do you have NOTHING more interesting or important to do?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
A slippery slope theory. Okay then, let's see if one thing equals another...

Well, of course you'll recall that I'm not for legislation making loud exhausts on motorcycles illegal, but I would say that people shouldn't do it because there is literally no reason to have or make motorcycle exhausts that loud for city streets.

That being said, we know that city buses and other trucks serve a very practical function. We know they are not making noise to look cool or tough or show off in any way. We do not know that about motorcyclists with loud exhausts.

You kind of answered your own question. It would seem letting the garbage truck collect garbage in the early morning would be more practical, would it not? Depending on where you live of course.

You and I have discussed this already, and I agreed with you. I don't think people should be popping loud fireworks within city limits. Whether they should be able to legally is not my concern, but some cities do have bans on fireworks, right or wrong.

Naturally, I agree that this is over the line. Why would I be against loud exhausts but for this?

Not familiar with the term, but as a general rule, I would say any noise that's as loud as these exhausts for no established practical purpose cannot be defended by a rational mind. See how that works? One man's preference for a sound does not mean everyone should have to hear it.

You're not kidding.
So basically you're just singling out motorcycle noise to complain about. Point taken.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I'm not even bothering to reply to GL's posts. It's just going to be a lot of wasted effort on my part.
You would do well not to respond, because you have nothing worthwhile to add.

Just note that if/when sniveling crybabies like DaneInLA get their way, you'll find it illegal to ride your precious motorcycle in a lot of places - regardless of the noise.

And by the way, just last night my wife & I were riding, and rode past a young dad pushing his child in a stroller. Yes, even though my motorcycle isn't particularly loud, I killed the engine and coasted past him, just to be sure I didn't startle or awaken his child. I doubt seriously that you've ever been considerate enough to do that, be it on your motorcycle, or in any other vehicle.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Oh believe me, I'm very familiar with it - just as I am with neighborhood crybabies.
Interesting. You may want to look into how it applies.

Quote:
You must live a horribly pathetic little life, if all you can do is sit around and whine about motorcycle noise. Good lawdy, your life must suck! Do you have NOTHING more interesting or important to do?
Most of us capable adults can do more than one thing at a time, and that includes dealing with life's minor annoyances - inconsiderate people who feel the world is obliged to share in their celebration of mechanical noise is not really a big thing. It IS, however, the topic of the thread.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,415,641 times
Quote:
So basically you're just singling out motorcycle noise to complain about. Point taken.
Yep, and for good reason, as I pointed out very thoroughly. I also noticed (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) that you couldn't refute a single argument. Why do you think that is?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Yep, and for good reason, as I pointed out very thoroughly. I also noticed (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) that you couldn't refute a single argument. Why do you think that is?
Actually, I'm busy calling the police right now. There's no way my neighbor should be allowed to make so !@#%$#@! much noise with his lawnmower. Another neighbor is running a chipper. This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

By the way, there's no point in refuting a point made by a guy who doesn't even know what jake braking is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles