Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's obnoxious and offensive...and how does it save lives when everyone who is pummelled by that ridiculous noise wants to kill you?
Because 'wants to kill you' is a phrase, not an actual action. I've yet to hear of a case where someone ran over a motorcycle because the sounds was bothering them.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I've hated obnoxiously loud bikes for a long time.

You know when you are driving on the interstate and you cannot talk to the person next to you because the 2-3 bikers next to you are so loud.

Or the guy in the chi-burbs back when I had a new born that loved to open it up in front of my house at 6AM all summer long because he liked to zoom down the hill in front of my house.

Southpark lampooned such bikers to a T in one of their episodes, brutally funny satire.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,259,925 times
IMO, riders have a genuine and serious responsibility to NOT be a nuisance to their neighbors or the general public. Those that ignore that view do serious harm to the vast majority of the motorcycle riding community who simply wish to pursue their hobby and respect the sensibilities of their fellow citizens.

"Loud pipes saves lives" - only, IMO, of the incompetents who shouldn't be allowed on public highways in the first place. I'm done with this thread. I'll have a nice ride tomorrow and not be a nuisance to my neighbors. That, IMO, is what a responsible rider does every day. I believe that most genuine riders will agree with me.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 03-21-2012 at 11:27 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
I don't mind resonably loud pipes, but the ones that rattle your windows as they pass by, that another story. I ride allot with our Goldwing Chapter and I riden allot of rides that have allot of those "loud bikes" the difference is like night and day, I don't have to wear ear plugs riding my Goldwing. As for helmets, I figure it like this, if you don't have anything up top to protect in the first place then by all means don't wear a helmet. I and my wife always wear a full face helmet and riding gear, yes sometime it may get a little warm, but always dress for the crash and not for the ride. There are two type of motorcycle riders, those that have crashed and those the will crash.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post

Okay, I'm not really inclined or interested in a prolonged discussion on the subject, it would not be useful. I'll offer the following comments and be done with it.

1) Any rider who places themselves in a position where cagers don't know they are there needs to go back to basic riding school. Those that don't will get killed and it cleans out the gene pool.

Sorry, I'm not a supporter of the Save The Idiots group of motorcycle riders. It has similarities to my experience in combat in Viet Nam. There, if you were lucky and did everything as best you could (and were lucky) - you might survive. Be an idiot and you died. There is a wonderful purity about riding a motorcycle, its quite similar, IMO, to combat and probably one of the reasons I enjoy it.

Loud pipes saves lives --- of WHO? Riders too dumb to ride with a minimum of common sense? I view their demise as a positive public benefit (I just object to paying medical costs for their actions).

In case you haven't noticed, I don't have a touchy/oh my sympathy reaction to riders who get crippled or killed not using the best protective gear currently available. No apologies from me - you want the freedom of not wearing helmet - no problem here. I do think its probably a measure of IQ, but hey, thats just my dumb a** opinion.

Ride free and die - whatever works for you - NO medical subsidizes from me and we're cool.
Sometimes it is through no fault of the rider that the driver misses them. A vehicle crossing traffic to turn left, for example. In that scenario, having noise in addition to a headlight could mean the difference between life and death.

Quote:
2) No one has an inalienable right to be a serious, obnoxious nuisance to their neighbor. One's "rights" are limited by the end of the nose (or ears) of their neighbor and that very definitely includes noise.

One doesn't have some dispensation in the Constitution to annoy me with your noise levels based on your choice of vehicular travel. Do that in my neighborhood and I'll project that the lawsuits will bankrupt you (and I will be funding a good portion of it).

Societies throughout the history of human existence function best when all members respect the general public's common preferences. You violate that at one's peril.

I wear the highest quality safety gear money can buy, all Hi Viz and am always attentive to the fact that a two wheeler is a high risk choice. I've just never been a concern to my neighbors nor had any complaints about my hobby. My neighbors have equal rights to the impact of my preferences on their quality of life and respecting that is a fundamental requirement to me of being a good neighbor and responsible rider. JMO
This has nothing to do with loud pipes making the rider more noticeable to other drivers.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
IMO, riders have a genuine and serious responsibility to NOT be a nuisance to their neighbors or the general public. Those that ignore that view do serious harm to the vast majority of the motorcycle riding community who simply wish to pursue their hobby and respect the sensibilities of their fellow citizens.

"Loud pipes saves lives" - only, IMO, of the incompetents who shouldn't be allowed on public highways in the first place. I'm done with this thread. I'll have a nice ride tomorrow and not be a nuisance to my neighbors. That, IMO, is what a responsible rider does every day. I believe that most genuine riders will agree with me.
And once again you can't stay on topic. This has nothing to do with being a nuisance to neighbors (which, btw, is why I don't have loud pipes).

The fact remains sound is an extra sensor in addition to the visibility of the rider. The more ways to get noticed, the less likely the rider is to have his/her right of way violated. Unless you refute this, you have no argument. Your non-sequiturs have no bearing on the logic presented.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,259,925 times
Like I said previously, I'm done. Find someone else to argue with, I'm not interested.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Thing is, those who don't ride will never understand and are going to "hate" simply because they don't like bikes. I don't like obnoxiously loud pipes, but I do want a little noise on my pipes because it's saved me a couple of times. Especially in this day and age where everyone on the road thinks it's ok to text and facebook while driving. Was having this discussion awhile back when someone agreed with me only to say "yea, people don't know how to do it right". I couldn't believe what I heard. Giving him my best WTF look, I said, "you're the problem". SMH

Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
This has nothing to do with being a nuisance to neighbors (which, btw, is why I don't have loud pipes).
You can't separate the two that easily. Loud pipes are likely to be a nuisance to neighbors, unless everyone else is inconsiderate as well.

I also feel a lot better on a trip knowing that my pipes aren't going to antagonize everyone else in the motel, as well as the towns I pass through.

I will gladly take responsibility for my own safety in any case where having loud pipes might make a difference. Imagining myself to be invisible is a good start.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Like I said previously, I'm done. Find someone else to argue with, I'm not interested.
Yes, it's better that way. You present no logic or evidence to support your case then leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles