Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 10:34 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
The Tolsia Highway/King Coal Highway. Literally the biggest waste of money in WV history
And, anyone who has spent even one afternoon in the state's capital and looked around at stuff like the Lottery Taj Mahal, etc. knows that is really saying something. This little state isn't even as large in total as a single large city, but they had a pimp from a New Orleans brothel come in and dress the place up with gold domes and statues. If some of that stuff weren't so ridiculous it would actually be funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
The Tolsia Highway/King Coal Highway. Literally the biggest waste of money in WV history
What is the difference between Tolsia Highway versus King Coal? Are they the same thing just different segments? If Interstate 73 was ever going to actually happen in its entirety then it could be worth it but as of right now it is looking like a very long shot. I think the portion from Roanoke to Myrtle Beach will be completed but you're dealing largely upgrading an existing four lane highway (US 220) with huge segments already completed in North Carolina. The topography is also much less of a challenge on that stretch as you're largely going through the foothills/ Piedmont of Virginia and North Carolina.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:09 AM

491 posts, read 610,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
What is the difference between Tolsia Highway versus King Coal? Are they the same thing just different segments? If Interstate 73 was ever going to actually happen in its entirety then it could be worth it but as of right now it is looking like a very long shot. I think the portion from Roanoke to Myrtle Beach will be completed but you're dealing largely upgrading an existing four lane highway (US 220) with huge segments already completed in North Carolina. The topography is also much less of a challenge on that stretch as you're largely going through the foothills/ Piedmont of Virginia and North Carolina.
Just read that the 4 lane King Coal Highway isn't even built to interstate standards so when it does get finished up in 20ish years, WV will have to shell out even more to fix everything. SC got the OK from the Army Corp in '17 so they'll start on their portion once they approve funding (ie tolls).

Old 08-08-2019, 10:35 AM

632 posts, read 832,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
It's the same road, they're different segments. Tolsia is I-64 to Corridor G and King Coal is Corridor G to I-77. And as the last guy said, it's not being built to interstate standards (grade and limited access).

Old 08-23-2019, 01:14 PM

273 posts, read 382,297 times
Did you all see this? The state now has a map where you can see what projects they have. I'm not going to hold my breath on this map being regularly updated, though.
https://transportation.wv.gov/Pages/...-Projects.aspx

Old 08-23-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
Did you all see this? The state now has a map where you can see what projects they have. I'm not going to hold my breath on this map being regularly updated, though.
https://transportation.wv.gov/Pages/...-Projects.aspx
Pineview Drive & Valley View Ave were some of the worst in town. Glad they're getting fixed this year.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:27 AM

Any updates on road improvements?

Old 09-11-2019, 01:58 PM

63 posts, read 64,102 times
I am still waiting to hear when they are going to start the I 7o bypass for Morgantown that was promised?

Old 09-11-2019, 11:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinamo View Post
I am still waiting to hear when they are going to start the I 7o bypass for Morgantown that was promised?
No bypass was ever promised. A northern bypass, roughly connecting I-68 with I-79 along West Run Road, was planned as part of a user fee proposal that was voted down in 2006 (I believe).

More recently, a northern access from north of the Star City exist on I-79 to West Run/Van Voorhis was studied and included as a proposed project in the State's General Obligation Bond ballot measure that passed. There are issues with funding availability and timeline for environmental review of that project, but it has progressed further than any other such route along that corridor to date.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
No bypass was ever promised. A northern bypass, roughly connecting I-68 with I-79 along West Run Road, was planned as part of a user fee proposal that was voted down in 2006 (I believe).

More recently, a northern access from north of the Star City exist on I-79 to West Run/Van Voorhis was studied and included as a proposed project in the State's General Obligation Bond ballot measure that passed. There are issues with funding availability and timeline for environmental review of that project, but it has progressed further than any other such route along that corridor to date.
That would be a much needed bypass and relieve the congestion on Collins Ferry and Van Voorhis during peak times. If they do end up building it, West Run Road must be widened to normal highway sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown