Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 07:50 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times

Advertisements

Applications from ROC down 20% at McGill, 16% Concordia. Both issued a hiring freeze, budget cuts, salary freezes.

Amazing how a government has destroyed a fantastic city and institutions. Sadly, it's already giving Montreal and Quebec a black eye and affecting our global ranings and international competition. I was lucky to seal deals, but I feel bad for those who will remain post 2024, with everything happening in Quebec.

I hate to say it, but on the current path, the city and province are returning to the 90s, it's really sad seeing the decline. My family are also highly considering not coming back either, post retirement....

Hopefully the hilarious fall of the CAQ will make them wake the **** up, but I have no hope for the leader who bundles everything and kisses his sister on the lips.... poor Montreal, poor Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 08:17 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Destroyed a fantastic city? Just a tad overly dramatic, no?

In any event, if the CAQ collapse continues, the stars are pointing to a PQ government next. Probably not your ideal scenario either.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

In any event, if the CAQ collapse continues, the stars are pointing to a PQ government next. Probably not your ideal scenario either.
PQ minority but support for sovereignty is at 34%, no idea how that'll work out... 2026 is a long ways a way...

Old 12-08-2023, 09:27 AM

3,454 posts, read 2,779,135 times
Quote:

Could the PQ carry Montreal?

Old 12-08-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Could the PQ carry Montreal?
No, not with what I'm seeing. It would need to be a far bigger shift. But they could pick up a few seats there, and a lot more in the suburbs of the city.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:25 PM

Quebec now wanting 80% of foreign students to speak French + make students from French countries pay the Quebec tuition rate... already McGills reputation took a giant hit, same with Concordia....

Also wild that a Francophone from Canada will have to pay more than someone in France if this plan happens.... at least the PQ of the past had respect for anglo institutions and health services, this government is acting paternalistic and small minded.

The good news is Legault is a weak and pathetic man, who will most likely lose in 2026 and this will be reversed. Bad news is this causes long term damage. Montreal risks losing status as an international city and I've had to do so much damage control when promoting the city abroad. Really sad seeing how far the city and provnce has fallen.. all avoidable, but when you have retards in charge, what do you expect will happen.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:13 PM

544 posts, read 900,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Quebec now wanting 80% of foreign students to speak French + make students from French countries pay the Quebec tuition rate... already McGills reputation took a giant hit, same with Concordia....

Also wild that a Francophone from Canada will have to pay more than someone in France if this plan happens.... at least the PQ of the past had respect for anglo institutions and health services, this government is acting paternalistic and small minded.

The good news is Legault is a weak and pathetic man, who will most likely lose in 2026 and this will be reversed. Bad news is this causes long term damage. Montreal risks losing status as an international city and I've had to do so much damage control when promoting the city abroad. Really sad seeing how far the city and provnce has fallen.. all avoidable, but when you have retards in charge, what do you expect will happen.
For an administration that many consider to be conservative, they really love telling people what to do. Conservative usually means government getting out of the way and letting the private sector and free market take over.

There is almost a sense of panic as the francization of the Montreal area is progressing at a much slower rate than the xenophobes in the CAQ would like. I was in Montreal a few weeks ago and I only had to speak French once in 4 days. That was at a Maxi as I was checking out my resupply of Coffee Crisps to bring home. Otherwise my whole trip was in English, eating in restaurants and shopping in stores. And it was not only the West Island. I met a friend for lunch in Laval and not a single word could be heard in French. Everybody was speaking either English or Greek. I bet when the xenophobes in the CAQ travel out of their Quebec City bubble and witness things like this, they hurry back to their hovel and dream up new ways to screw over the English.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
For an administration that many consider to be conservative, they really love telling people what to do. Conservative usually means government getting out of the way and letting the private sector and free market take over.

There is almost a sense of panic as the francization of the Montreal area is progressing at a much slower rate than the xenophobes in the CAQ would like. I was in Montreal a few weeks ago and I only had to speak French once in 4 days. That was at a Maxi as I was checking out my resupply of Coffee Crisps to bring home. Otherwise my whole trip was in English, eating in restaurants and shopping in stores. And it was not only the West Island. I met a friend for lunch in Laval and not a single word could be heard in French. Everybody was speaking either English or Greek. I bet when the xenophobes in the CAQ travel out of their Quebec City bubble and witness things like this, they hurry back to their hovel and dream up new ways to screw over the English.
Even if true, all that this proves is that they're right to want more stringent measures to protect French.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:37 AM

3,454 posts, read 2,779,135 times
Quote:
Even if true, all that this proves is that they're right to want more stringent measures to protect French.
Is the increased presence of anglophones and allophones one reason why several thousand Francophones moved from Montreal to the suburbs in recent years?

Old 12-14-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is the increased presence of anglophones and allophones one reason why several thousand Francophones moved from Montreal to the suburbs in recent years?
It's at least part of it, though mostly it is just your regular city-slickers moving to the suburbs for more space, cheaper lodging, more greenspace, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal