Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 12:36 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times

Advertisements

You can't have it both ways.

Guys like you routinely denounce Quebec Bill 101, Bill 21 and Bill 96 as "racist" when there isn't anything racist or racial at all about these bills.

Plus, the modern definition of racism isn't just strictly about European, African, Asian, etc. races but has been extended to cover any type of prejudice or hate directed at any identifiable ethnocultural group. This isn't even from me. It's from the American academia and chattering classes that perfectly maps onto the way Canadians like you view every single issue now.

So don't blame me. I'm just using your own parameters and narrative against you now.

Anyway in the context of a discussion such as this one, dismissively throwing out "Quebecers don't even speak real French" is indeed racist because it is a deliberately demeaning statement aimed at delegitimizing any steps francophones here would take to ensure their continued existence and viability as a people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 01:32 PM

546 posts, read 904,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You can't have it both ways.

Guys like you routinely denounce Quebec Bill 101, Bill 21 and Bill 96 as "racist" when there isn't anything racist or racial at all about these bills.
On this point you lost me, Acajack. I really, truly don't have a problem with anyone promoting their language or culture. What I have a problem with is doing it at the expense of others, which is what these laws all do. Bill 101's legal challenges are well documented and Bill 96 is probably the most mean spirited and demeaning law I have ever seen and what is even scarier is that Legault has more of these up his sleeve.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:39 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,139,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Pure-lane Quebecers consider themselves a "race" for some reason, which is funny cause they are not a race. Ethnic group? Yes, Race? no. It's even funnier considering it's always White Francophones saying this, anything that is considered "Quebec bashing" is considered "racist" lol.

I think that “racist" was Acajack's quick reaction to a rather insulting comment wrapped up in leroythelion’s story.

There is a lot of pent up anger on these kinds of threads on the part of anglophones. It never ever occurs to them that the same implicit rules apply in other jurisdictions, but in more imperfect ways. I mean, if you are in NYC, or another one of the large American cities, you may have access to social services in Spanish, but as far as the courts go, good luck getting a trial set in that language. Quebec has services provided in both languages for an enormous amount of stuff in spite of English speakers being a small part of the pie.

Last edited by BOORGONG; 10-20-2023 at 08:02 PM..

Old 10-20-2023, 10:22 PM

1,261 posts, read 522,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I think that “racist" was Acajack's quick reaction to a rather insulting comment wrapped up in leroythelion’s story.
Yeah, it was an insulting and pointless comment. SMH

Old 10-21-2023, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Yeah, it was an insulting and pointless comment. SMH
Yeah, it was meant to be insulting, but not pointless. I think I got my point across. I'll send over a box of tissue if anyone is still hurt.

Bill 96 is insulting and what happened to McGill, Concordia, and Bishops this week is insulting, but I'll get over it. To defend it with the tired argument of the 50 English Lords who lived downtown in 1870 is also insulting, but I'll get over that too.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Montreal and a family member had found a copy of my "papers" dated 1978 that allowed me to go to English school. The fact that I needed these "papers" to attend any school I wish in a supposed free country is also insulting. I may never get over that one.

Last edited by leroythelion; 10-21-2023 at 05:17 AM..

Old 10-21-2023, 06:50 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times
Resetment-fuelled prejudice is still prejudice.

To use an extreme example, the guy whose daughter was raped by someone from group X who hates everyone in group X is still a racist.

Old 10-21-2023, 03:28 PM

1,261 posts, read 522,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Yeah, it was meant to be insulting, but not pointless. I think I got my point across. I'll send over a box of tissue if anyone is still hurt.
That you're an A-hole? Yeah that came across pretty clear. Funny you mention tissues then proceed to cry in the following sentences. lol

Old 10-21-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
That you're an A-hole? Yeah that came across pretty clear. Funny you mention tissues then proceed to cry in the following sentences. lol
Sticks and stones.....

Old 10-26-2023, 03:49 PM

3,208 posts, read 2,684,089 times
UdeM, HEC and a few other unis have come out against this.

Only uni against this in Montreal is UQAM, ironic coming from a communist school.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:15 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,791,219 times
Walkout and protest against the tuition hike set to happen on October 30: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal...plan-1.6611722. Let's see if there will be dialogue after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal