Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2023, 03:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times

Advertisements

Legault government to table yet another action plan for French in the fall.... I wonder what xenophobic mess this will become

This province is becoming a **** show again....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 07:06 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another view is that this was spurred by a series of factors that people actually need to take ownership for.

The Canadian census continues to reveal more and more people in Quebec (either from here or moving here) who don't speak French, and real life situations of often defiant refusal to learn, use or hear French are on the increase to anyone who has their eyes and ears open.

Even very francophone areas have seen an upsurge of businesses and residents who are arguably hostile to French.

A great example is the fact that a restaurant opened in Quebec City of all places with English only menus and service staff who only spoke English. The excuse was that they couldn't find anyone to create a French menu or who could speak French with customers - in a city of hundreds of thousands of people that is 98% francophone.

Recommended reading:

Québec Language Politics for Dummies: FAFO Edition

Yes, I remember reading about that. My first reaction was asking myself out loud why did this restaurateur choose to move to Quebec City or Quebec Province at all and open a restaurant there when he could have chosen any other province. Surely as a Korean, he would not open a restaurant in China if he and his staff did not know a word of Chinese, right? My guess is because the restaurateur must have seen economic advantage in being in Quebec City, after all Quebec City is not known to have many authentic Asian restaurants.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:15 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
it is necessary if you want to stay in power, if the electorate sense you are going soft on the language issue then you are toast next time people hit the voting booth

french is a hard sell anywhere nowadays, it has lost most of its economic, politic and cultural prestige long ago

on top of this, Quebec french is often depicted as the dumbed-down, slacked-jaw , yokel version

so they will keep enacting ever more stringent, restrictive laws and regulations no matter the cost
Yeah lots of people are prejudiced and borderline racist against French Canadians and their language, and their numbers seem to be increasing here. Good point. Thanks for bringing it up.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:21 AM

565 posts, read 671,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
To be honest, I saw more guns growing up in Ville LaSalle during the 70s and 80s in the Italian poolhalls than I have seen living in the US the last 25 years. You should be more worried about your kids safety in the hands of your third world medical system.
Life expectancy in New Hampshire : 79.7 years
Life expectancy in Quebec : 82.9 years

Our “third world medical system” seems to be doing something right

Old 08-30-2023, 11:25 AM

I think Quebec might have the highest life expectancy of all the provinces and states at this point.

We have lots of problems with our healthcare system (and life expectancy isn't just related to that system) but people shouldn't exaggerate to score nasty low-blow political points.

Old 08-30-2023, 03:17 PM

544 posts, read 900,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post

Must be all the guns.

Old 08-30-2023, 03:41 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post

Also helps that we have a healthy bike/walk culture and higher food quality/standards than the U.S.

Our Healthcare system needs upgrading asap, but we're definitely a lot better than the U.S. Even my wife (Miami born) says her health improved here due to all the walking/biking and access to fresher foods, Quebec excels in this regard.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:09 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Also helps that we have a healthy bike/walk culture and higher food quality/standards than the U.S.

Our Healthcare system needs upgrading asap, but we're definitely a lot better than the U.S. Even my wife (Miami born) says her health improved here due to all the walking/biking and access to fresher foods, Quebec excels in this regard.
Wake up
Get in car, sit on your ass and drive to work
Eat junk in car
Get to work and sit on your ass yet again… For 8 hours. Include lunch with coworkers somewhere in there.
Get in your car, sit on your ass, drive home.
Get home, drink beer, sit on your ass while eating dinner and watching football.
Shower and go sleep.

Yeah, things would be considerably different here if the infrastructure encouraged more of a bike/walk culture. We are WAY too dependent on cars, and the way these cities are built makes it virtually impossible to get around on foot unless one lives in the select few, small urban nodes the cities have.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:21 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think Quebec might have the highest life expectancy of all the provinces and states at this point.

We have lots of problems with our healthcare system (and life expectancy isn't just related to that system) but people shouldn't exaggerate to score nasty low-blow political points.
The difference is statistically irrelevant.

For 2020 the top 3.

Quebec 82.34

BC. 82.19

Ontario 82.14

Depending on the year these change of course, but suffice to say, it's negligible.

Overall Canada does well, except for Nunavut.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-31-2023 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-31-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The difference is statistically irrelevant.

For 2020 the top 3.

Quebec 82.34

BC. 82.19

Ontario 82.14

Depending on the year these change of course, but suffice to say, it's negligible.

Overall Canada does well, except for Nunavut.
It's about 75-76 (and dropping I'm pretty sure) in Michigan, where I believe Leroy lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal