Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 PM

21 posts, read 35,960 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

we are a young couple who have recently obtained our PR visas and we are thinking about moving to montreal. i have a few questions and it will be great if you can assist us with some valuable advice:

1. How much money will be needed to cover 6 motnhs stay without employment (inclusive of rent, food and other expenses). we are planning to rent near downtown (single bedroom apartment)

2. We are expected to arrive Mid April 2014. Is it more advisable to come in March or January itself? We've never seen snow let alone experience extremely cold winters and i assume looking for a job during winter time will be tougher.

we are really looking forward to the move and currently planning for same and i am sure your replies will help us a lot.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 04:47 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,235,767 times
Probably $1200-1500 if you really pinch your pennies. Do you guys speak French because that will be required in order to get employment in that time frame. If you don't speak any French then you should move to anglo Canada or at least budget in much longer time to upgrade your French.

Nearly all leases are July 1, it is the moving day. It's not like other places where rents are up on the 1st of every month. You really need to look far in advance to try and find housing outside that time. I would start finding companies/lease offices online and call them.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Think $1000 a month for rent add $500 for heating, phone computer and and cable hook ups, $80 per month for one bus pass miscellaneous costs another $200 a month, another $100 per week minimum for food. And if you arent fluent in French you'll be lucky to get a minimum wage job at a call center.
What qualifications for employment do you bring to the game?
Whats drawing you to Montreal and not Toronto?
Coming mid winter is sheer folly to the uninitiated as the unprepared could pay with their lives ,it doesnt take much for temps in the minus 20-30's to become extremely detrimental to your well being.
Wear lots of clothing including wooly hat and gloves.
Best of luck.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-24-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 09:34 PM

21 posts, read 35,960 times
Thanks for the replies.

We had to apply under the Quebec PR program as at time of application we were not eligible to apply under the federal program.

We are both bilingual so language will not be a major problem for us. Wife works in a multinational and will try to push through a transfer in the Canadian branch (there's one in Montreal). She is an Accountant.

As for me i work as remuneration analyst. i'll try to find an office job at first and see how it goes.

we were thinking to bring 10k to last us a few months while we settle down. We are giving ourselves atleast 1 year to adjust in Montreal. If it doesn't work out then we'll shift somewhere else.

It's a big move for us and hope that it will turn out to be a successfull one

Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 AM

Glad to hear you are both bilingual as thats half the battle won already.
For jobs check local French newspapaers
Also
Craigslist for jobs and apartments.
craigslist: montreal Petites annonces d'emploi, de logements, de rencontre, de vente, de services, de communauté et d'événements

For jobs
Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.ca
and
Greater Montréal | Jobs | Employment | Kijiji Canada

Cant help with the winter just dont underestimate the cold if you are going to be out in it for a while..

Old 08-25-2013, 03:31 AM

Glad to hear you are both bilingual as thats half the battle won already.
For jobs check local French newspapaers
Craigslist for jobs and apartments.
craigslist: montreal Petites annonces d'emploi, de logements, de rencontre, de vente, de services, de communauté et d'événements

For jobs
Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.ca
and
Greater Montréal | Jobs | Employment | Kijiji Canada

Cant help with the winter just dont underestimate the cold if you are going to be out in it for a while..
Good Boots,Hat,Gloves and winter coat would be your first necessities when you arrive as you could be greeted by mother nature..

Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,235,767 times
If you are bilingual professionals, you will do great here. April is easier. We bought our house in January and we missed out on a lot of things because the market here is exceptionally slow in the winter (this is more important for a house though, you won't be able to even see the yard). For renters, if you can make it in July, that would really save some headaches for moving day but there are always some openings.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,882,821 times
OP where are you moving from? I'm jealous

Old 08-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
OP where are you moving from? I'm jealous
How far have you come in your efforts to immigrate to Canada?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:06 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,458,169 times
I just moved to Montreal (yay!), staying in a short-term while getting to know the city. I need a 3 bedroom, and they are possible to find for under $1000. 1 bedroom (or 3 1/2 in the ads) could be found for 500. Looking at Rosemont, Villeray, Cote-St-Luc, LaSalle etc. I would say there is a plenty of choice - July, August, September.... Now advertizing for October, Nov, Dec. I haven't noticed lack in supply, maybe there will be more in May by a degree, but even now, I feel like there is a bit more supply than demand...

It does feel like the min. for 2 people would be $1500/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal