Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM

61 posts, read 118,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Quebec was bilingual for over 200 years until the Franco-supermacists made it officially, unilingually, french. Quebec would be nothing like it is today if it weren't for the Loyalists pioneering much of the province and building Quebec City and Montreal from small towns to thriving cities.
You're a racist and a revisionist. The "franco-supremacists made it officially french"? Are you ****ING KIDDING ME!? You mean the QUIET REVOLUTION where an oppressed linguistic minority actually took control of their own affairs! You mean how in the 60's in downtown Montreal how francophones couldn't get service in French! Laws like Bill 101 are not discriminator, they're preservation based. Quit playing the victimized anglophone card. Anglophones aren't a "minority". They're a majority living within a linguistic MINORITY province. I'm an anglophone, and even I realize this. We're not some kind of oppressed victimized group, what a joke. Things like Bill101 exist so that the public life of the city/province doesn't turn completely English in a matter of 3 generations due to immigration and economic factors. Calling people trying to defend their right to exist "supremacists" is completely ridiculous. You're like a straight person walking into a gay bar and complaining about being oppressed. The privileged tw*t way of thinking.

And say what you want about Mouvement-Montreal-Francais, they do make some really good points about anglophones in Quebec basically being some of the most coddled "minorities" on the planet (wow, for being an "oppressed minority" we sure do have a lot of hospitals, english universities and services, budget spending going to these things, and so on). Actually, the amount of things we have for our community is disproportionate to the number of us. Gee whiz, pdw, I wonder if economics has anything to do with this? I mean, I wonder if any group of people in history might have noticed how economic factors tend to erode culture, and how some languages have relational linguistic factors? Geez... what a thing to think about! Duh. And stop calling Montreal a bilingual city in like, every single goddamn thread. It's a French speaking city. I love how so many of my fellow anglophones think "bilingual" means "oh, well it's bilingual, so I should just be able to speak English and never learn french" btw. NYC has a huge spanish-speaking population, but you don't see anyone calling it a 'bilingual' city. Get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 04:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
While i agree French is the name of the game in Quebec as an Anglo i feel there is some substantial cultural history in Quebec for the Anglo demographic that also needs to be remembered and respected, sure me and the family could speak French all the time and within a generation we would be assimilated and relegated to just a foot note in the history books, it may be missed by some that Anglo Quebecers are just as proud of their heritage in Quebec as the Francophones are of their Heritage and while i got no problem with the Francophone culture giving positive props to its heritage and status in Quebec i find it rather irritating that the separatist government feels the need to do it by imposing draconian language laws on those who arent French and having language police to make sure these language laws are complied with..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 PM

300 posts, read 659,763 times
I just got my permanent residence to move to Montreal. Thought I'd let you know how I did it. Get a degree from a university in Quebec. I went to Concordia. Study French and get to advanced intermediate level. Make sure you read the language requirements on the following immigration website carefully. I took the TEFaQ (Test d'évaluation du français adapté au Québec) to prove my level. When you graduate, you can apply under this program: Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ –Québec experience program) – Québec Graduate

Immigration-Québec - Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ –Québec experience program) – Québec Graduate

If you do that, you can bypass the point system, which you need to do since you don't have enough points. Since you already have a degree, you can probably start a new program with 2 or 3 years remaining. It's not a short road, but I don't think you have another option besides marrying in. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinley View Post
I just got my permanent residence to move to Montreal. Thought I'd let you know how I did it. Get a degree from a university in Quebec. I went to Concordia. Study French and get to advanced intermediate level. Make sure you read the language requirements on the following immigration website carefully. I took the TEFaQ (Test d'évaluation du français adapté au Québec) to prove my level. When you graduate, you can apply under this program: Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ –Québec experience program) – Québec Graduate

Immigration-Québec - Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ –Québec experience program) – Québec Graduate

If you do that, you can bypass the point system, which you need to do since you don't have enough points. Since you already have a degree, you can probably start a new program with 2 or 3 years remaining. It's not a short road, but I don't think you have another option besides marrying in. Good luck!
J4J you really want to come to Montreal?you just got handed the keys to the city. its up to you to make it happen.or you could just sit on your butt and only dream of coming to Montreal.

Congratulations Trinley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal