Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,392 times

Advertisements

Hi there.. So we are thinking of moving to quebec.. Our good friend and his dad live in st-jérôme, so we are hoping for that area. I was just curious as to how living there would be. I myself am bilingual, (not great) graduated in the french immersion program. My boyfriend not so much, he knows the bare minimum, he has been to quebec, so he knows a little about it there. As well as our brother in law and father in law are both francophones from quebec.

I'm currently in college, working on becoming a Registered Nurse, and am curious how my courses may carry over or how different it is there? My boyfriend is a ticketed welder. but currently works in ft mcmurray as a haul truck driver in a big mine. What would be the best way to go about info on school there and jobs in mining..

Any help would be greatly appreciated on living.. expenses.. jobs and schooling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
St-Jerome is a good place to learn French, your rusty French should come back quickly. Have you been there? It's.... okay. It's good to have family nearby, but if you are a younger couple, still want to have some fun and freedom, I'd probably recommend the north shore of Montreal still. Quebec can be a culture shock. St-Jerome is where I would go when I had kids and was settled. Mind you, the proximity to nature is really nice there. You should not have an issue finding a work once your French kicks back in. The 'bare minimum' might be okay depending on his line of work. It can take some time to adjust. Some French school will do him good, plus the immersion. But I recommend going to St Jerome first and making sure it's what you want.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Mining work is more in northern Quebec - think Abitibi in the NW or even further north (Schefferville near the Labrador border).

Also, professional certfications generally require a pretty decent level of French. This applies to nurses and construction trades like welding I am pretty sure.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:11 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
If your bf has his truck drivers license he can work as a truck driver the mine is irrelevant .
https://www.google.ca/#fp=d43543ea86...ec&safe=active

Old 08-31-2013, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,392 times
Thanks! And I'm gravitating more towards Montreal or Quebec City, any opinions one which is better for a student? Boyfriend works camp so he's only home 5-7 days at a time every 2 months or so. He will probably stay with that company if nothing else comes up closer to where we decide to move to.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:23 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlavache View Post
Thanks! And I'm gravitating more towards Montreal or Quebec City, any opinions one which is better for a student? Boyfriend works camp so he's only home 5-7 days at a time every 2 months or so. He will probably stay with that company if nothing else comes up closer to where we decide to move to.
Ah this will be debated!

I personally love Quebec City much more. There are tons of students in QC, Universite de Laval, and there is quite a nice student scene if you really get into the city (tourists will miss it). French is easier to learn in QC (imo) for an informal education. Your options as a nurse are more limited than Montreal, but QC is still a reasonably sized city. Commuting to St-Jerome will be a pain. Decent opportunities for long haulers too.

Montreal is of course, perfectly fine for students - but I find French harder to learn there as so many people speak English/Anglophones/allophones (in QC, there is a lot of bilingualism, but not a lot of anglophones). Lots of jobs for bilinguals (or functional French). You won't go wrong with either one but I love QC more, if he's away from home a lot, then as a 'single' gal I prefer QC

Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 PM

589 posts, read 639,108 times
I probably wouldn't venture that far away from Montreal until you feel very comfortable in French. As another poster mentioned, the North Shore would be better to start(i.e. Repentigny, Charlemagne, Terrebonne). As for learning French, Quebec City would be easier to immerse yourself because of a significantly higher percentage of Francophones and fewer bilingual Francophones. But if you're in Montreal, you'll be practicing your French plenty if you stay in East Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal