Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,883,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just to eliminate the whole language issue you might want to focus on Toronto rather than Montreal.
If I'm going to live in Toronto or any other cities or English speaking places, then I could just stay in the U.S.

Montreal and Quebec is the unique and most interesting part....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,447,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
If I'm going to live in Toronto or any other cities or English speaking places, then I could just stay in the U.S.

Montreal and Quebec is the unique and most interesting part....

But you'll have your foot in the door, and can spend time learning French before you go.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
But you'll have your foot in the door, and can spend time learning French before you go.
True, but it will be much harder learning French in English Canada than in Quebec. I also don't know anybody in English Canada, and have zero interest living there. It has to be Montreal or else I stay here. Canada government should open border to Americans...

Old 07-27-2013, 08:56 PM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
We aren't the USA. They're a foreign country. Why would we open our borders to them? Wait in line behind other immigrants waiting to get in. Being a "neighbour" shouldn't give you a free pass. We're an independent nation, not an American puppet.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
We aren't the USA. They're a foreign country. Why would we open our borders to them? Wait in line behind other immigrants waiting to get in. Being a "neighbour" shouldn't give you a free pass. We're an independent nation, not an American puppet.
Canada opens their border to 3rd world immigrants who abuse government assistance and welfare, yet refuse to let young, healthy and educated American to immigrate?!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:07 PM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
It's obvious that you don't know very much about how Canada's immigration system works, if you truly believe that.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It's obvious that you don't know very much about how Canada's immigration system works, if you truly believe that.
Would you please explain then? I need to marry a Canadian

Old 07-28-2013, 04:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Canada opens their border to 3rd world immigrants who abuse government assistance and welfare, yet refuse to let young, healthy and educated American to immigrate?!
While it puzzles me how some immigrants enter Canada and seem to be immediately on welfare i dont know the full extent of their stories so i dont immediately jump to the conclusion that they are somehow being favored in their immigration by Canada.
Unfortunate for you that the process of immigrating to Canada doesnt place the condition of young healthy and educated American high on the list of qualification criteria, if thats all it took Canada would be over run with that demographic in short order,
Your insistence on Montreal or nothing is not logical at this point as you have no skills in French which is a major handicap in your efforts to immigrate and seek employment if and when you do get in the country.
Go to Toronto,learn French then move to Montreal when you are functionally bilingual .
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&s...w=1024&bih=618

http://www.ofa.gov.on.ca/en/faq.html

Old 07-28-2013, 05:36 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,237,400 times
Quote:
Because we share the longest and largest and most peaceful border in the world, we share similar language (Except in Quebec), similar culture, similar lifestyle, similar stores, etc.

USA and Canada are the most similar countries in the world basically in terms of everything.
For immigration purposes, you really need to consider Quebec and Canada as separate entities. Living here is nothing like living in English Canada, let alone like the USA. I felt more "at home" in London, UK, as an Anglophone than I do here in Quebec.

Get past the notion of working in English with an English company and maybe you can get the ball rolling. You may even want to consider post-graduate studies here and then work on your French and perhaps work towards some sort of job sponsor in the future. It's a long-shot but it might be your only shot.

Anglo Americans without French skills are, for the purposes of immigration, completely irrelevant here and not of interest. Quebec likes them for tourism, not as citizens.

Just being realistic here. Sweden and Norway is not completely different to Quebec either but if you don't speak Swedish or Norwegian and even if you did, that doesn't matter much.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,341,503 times
Quote:

American citizens should have easier to immigrate than other
nationalities....
Maybe we don't want to be inundated with a bunch of gun-toting fundie righties.
Maybe we should be giving precedence to members of other Commonwealth countries. You know...the Commonwealth you wanted no part of.
Maybe we should prefer citizens of other social democracies.
You're not special. Take a number and get in line.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 07-28-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal