Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times

Advertisements

I didnt get the impression we were bashing Quebec, we were having a debate over some of the language issues..
While the Video is somewhat humorous it does speak volumes as to the Francophone attitude towards the Anglo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 AM

455 posts, read 1,132,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't dispute that the issue is preventing English from "taking over" in Montreal but that doesn't change the fact that that's not what is usually said. When Bill 101 was tabled it was said that the goal was making Quebec as French as Ontario is English.

Ontario and Quebec are different in that in Quebec the largest city is the one with the large minority, whereas the second city has little of the language minority's presence.

In Ontario the largest city is the one with the tiny language minority presence, whereas the second city (Ottawa) has a large language minority presence, and also happens to be the capital of the entire country.

But you already knew all of this, right?
It's all semantics. That saying i referenced earlier did and i'm sure still does exist. In the end as montreal goes so does quebec. Frankly despite being the capital of canada ottawa as a city does not have much of an impact on ontario as a whole, which is dominated population wise and politically by the golden horseshoe region and south-western ontario.

Eastern ontario with ottawa and hull/gatnieau included perhaps is essentially its own region.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
It's all semantics. That saying i referenced earlier did and i'm sure still does exist. In the end as montreal goes so does quebec. Frankly despite being the capital of canada ottawa as a city does not have much of an impact on ontario as a whole, which is dominated population wise and politically by the golden horseshoe region and south-western ontario.

Eastern ontario with ottawa and hull/gatnieau included perhaps is essentially its own region.
No issue with any of that really.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 AM

230 posts, read 536,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I didnt get the impression we were bashing Quebec, we were having a debate over some of the language issues..
While the Video is somewhat humorous it does speak volumes as to the Francophone attitude towards the Anglo.
I haven't seen this video, but one thing I want to point is that IMO it's absolute BS to talk about the "Francophone attitude towards the Anglo" without looking at the reverse. During my four years at university in Quebec I never once heard anything incendiary or otherwise offensive towards English Canadians on the part of the Québécois. Never heard it, period.

Contrast that with southern Ontario, where I live now: every time I mention Quebec I am put in a position where I have to defend them (which I have no problem doing - I find them the friendliest of all Canadians) as a result of arrogant and bigoted comments made about how Quebecers supposedly think of themselves as better than other Canadians, they treat Anglos badly, yada yada.

I find southern Ontario to be a nasty place, devoid of culture and full of unfriendly idiots. Say what you want about Quebec and its people, but I never once had the same impression when I was there. I found it a culturally-rich, vibrant place, where it was easy to make friends and even easier to meet women.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM

What do you think the video implies? and while you are trashing Ontario and praising Quebec i'll presume there's a relocating to Quebec in your future where you'll find out the people are indeed really nice,its the government that'll drive you nuts.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What do you think the video implies? and while you are trashing Ontario and praising Quebec i'll presume there's a relocating to Quebec in your future where you'll find out the people are indeed really nice,its the government that'll drive you nuts.
If what you said is indeed true then Quebec kicks Ontario's butt as a place to live. It's not even close! You deal with average joes a million times more than you do with the government in an average lifetime!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM

I've lived in Ontario and visit my sister in Kitchener regularly and i dont hear that much if any Quebec bashing probably because the topic never comes up, maybe i'll bring it up next time i'm there and see what pops up.,However after just retiring from working in a factory for 32 years with 350 Francophones i got a really good street view of how they think and what their opinions are and while most are as nice a people as you'll ever meet some are no angels when it comes to their views on Anglos and Visible minorities ,

Last edited by jambo101; 09-17-2012 at 01:15 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,439,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Better the Americans than the French, IMO. At least the Americans are the same as us.

For the record, I really don't get how you can be anti-American and pro-Francophone. Americans are respectful, welcome you to their country with open arms and are the only reason we haven't been invaded by China, Russia or any other country hungry for easily obtained natural resources with little military resistance. The Francos on the other hand, don't want you to visit their province unless you speak French, hate on us in every forum they visit and actively pursue treason as a form of both Federal and Provincial politics.

.....I'm not anti-American. Is that what you're implying? I interact with them in one way or another, nearly everyday. Great people. I just don't want to be surrounded.....by any one country, other than Canada.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:33 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,879,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
I haven't seen this video, but one thing I want to point is that IMO it's absolute BS to talk about the "Francophone attitude towards the Anglo" without looking at the reverse. During my four years at university in Quebec I never once heard anything incendiary or otherwise offensive towards English Canadians on the part of the Québécois. Never heard it, period.

Contrast that with southern Ontario, where I live now: every time I mention Quebec I am put in a position where I have to defend them (which I have no problem doing - I find them the friendliest of all Canadians) as a result of arrogant and bigoted comments made about how Quebecers supposedly think of themselves as better than other Canadians, they treat Anglos badly, yada yada.

I find southern Ontario to be a nasty place, devoid of culture and full of unfriendly idiots. Say what you want about Quebec and its people, but I never once had the same impression when I was there. I found it a culturally-rich, vibrant place, where it was easy to make friends and even easier to meet women.
maybe its just me or the circles I run in..but to me Quebec and the political issues are just a passing thought for me/us in Ontario....we prefer them to stay but at the same time if they are fighting to leave then so be it (this is the general consensus of people I hang out with around here)

Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
maybe its just me or the circles I run in..but to me Quebec and the political issues are just a passing thought for me/us in Ontario....we prefer them to stay but at the same time if they are fighting to leave then so be it (this is the general consensus of people I hang out with around here)
Just got back from 4 days in Kitchener and i'd say your assertions are right on the money.
Speaking with a few dozen Anglo friends and family all formerly from the Montreal area they really didnt give much thought to Quebec anymore as that aspect of their lives is over, however with me bringing up the subject they all expressed the same sentiment of thinking leaving Quebec was one of their better moves in life and no one is thinking of returning.
I havent talked to many of these people since the last referendum when most were up in arms at the prospect of Quebec separation,time has definitely changed their attitude as now when asked about Quebec and the possibility of separation their general response was = are those A..holes (Their term not mine)still going on about their stupid separation bs? why dont they hurry up about it and leave our country as they just dont really contribute anything except a never ending whining and griping welfare state..
While there i never heard any one speaking French but bilingual signs were everywhere.Even had a few French radio and tv stations.
I'm thinking Kitchener/Waterloo area is my default move to location after Quebec separates/gets booted out/ or i can rid myself of the entrenchments holding me in Quebec..

Last edited by jambo101; 10-09-2012 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal