Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,614 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are from India and we are going to be in Montreal for 1 year. I have taken an apt on rent in Nun's island. I need to enroll my daughter into grade 1 in an Englsih school here so that it is easy for her when we return back to India next year and enroll her in an Englsih school there. We also require a bus transporation facility as we do not own a vehicle. Checking on internet, I came to know about 2 schools which provide bus service to Nun's island - Riverview and Verdun Elementary. Riverview is early immersion program (80% French, 20% English) and Verdun elemntary offers bilingual program (50% French, 50% Englsih). On this site, I found that Riverview is in a better area, so I am more inclined to enroll her there. But then I am not really sure if she will be able to manage with immersion program as she doesn't really have any French knowledge.

Please provide suggestions. I need to visit the schools and get her enrolled this week itself as the schools sessions are going to be begin form next Wednesday.

Thanks,
VJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM

544 posts, read 900,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj77 View Post
Hi,

We are from India and we are going to be in Montreal for 1 year. I have taken an apt on rent in Nun's island. I need to enroll my daughter into grade 1 in an Englsih school here so that it is easy for her when we return back to India next year and enroll her in an Englsih school there. We also require a bus transporation facility as we do not own a vehicle. Checking on internet, I came to know about 2 schools which provide bus service to Nun's island - Riverview and Verdun Elementary. Riverview is early immersion program (80% French, 20% English) and Verdun elemntary offers bilingual program (50% French, 50% Englsih). On this site, I found that Riverview is in a better area, so I am more inclined to enroll her there. But then I am not really sure if she will be able to manage with immersion program as she doesn't really have any French knowledge.

Please provide suggestions. I need to visit the schools and get her enrolled this week itself as the schools sessions are going to be begin form next Wednesday.

Thanks,
VJ
Your daughter will need to go a french School. It is the law (see Bill 101). "They" don't care that your daughter doesn't know French.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
If you are only in Quebec temporarily (like on a temporary work visa) then you can get a special dispensation and your child can be allowed to attend English public school. If you are immigrating here though, then it is public French, or private English school if you want to pay for it.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Your daughter will need to go a french School. It is the law (see Bill 101). "They" don't care that your daughter doesn't know French.
It's not nearly as dramatic or sinister as it is often made out to be. Kids arrive from Bosnia in Sweden all the time and go to school in Swedish, from Turkey in Germany and go to school in German, from Russia in the U.S. and go to school in English, and even from India in France and go to school in French. They all manage to survive.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Kids of that age pick up new languages with ease , so dont worry about that..
AJ is right about the temporary worker getting a break on which school your kid can attend.If its permanent residence your kid will be looking at full French school.
I asked my wife who works at Riverview which of your two school choices is the best, she said Riverview,you are right on the 80% French,she also added that the classes that comprise the English 20% are gymn,music,and art.So whether your kid likes it or not she's going to learn French..

Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
If going to French school is really a deal breaker for you, you could always pay for your daughter to go to an English private school, Bill 101 doesn't extend to private schools and anyone can go to any private school they like.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,614 times
Thank you all for your responses! I have enrolled my daughter in Riverview. Hope she will be able to manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal