Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 PM

11 posts, read 28,412 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Let me start by saying my husband and I currently live in CA. We are by no means are Californians! He was raised in Missouri and myself in Pennsylvania.

We have raised 3 kids who are now adults. We finally have an opportunity to leave this crazy state due to a job offer in the Helena area. Can anyone in this area let us know how the locals feel about an interracial couple? I am Caucasian and my husband African American. We like ALL people and are Christians so we don't look at color but have heard bad stories from others on how we may be accepted... We'd like to hear from people in MONTANA.

Thank you all,
A nice couple in CA wanting to move Helena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 PM

265 posts, read 691,699 times
Default Racism

Hi,
About a year and half ago me and the wife (from Jamaica) honeymooned in the PNW. Flew into Seattle,drove through WA,MT,WY,ID..and let me say this, she was treated better than I was in the restaurants or any other place that we went. The people were very nice and hospitable to her in each and every way. I think highly of all those states and it's peoples. Good luck in your endeavors. peace.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:51 AM

Default Thank you for the reply.....

so glad to hear MT treated you well and the people were nice! Thanks again for the feedback.

Blessings to you and yours

Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 AM

451 posts, read 1,007,645 times
Folks here tend to place more weight on how you behave than what you might look like, including color. We have more Indian/Caucasian and Black/Caucasian marriages as a percentage than comparable mixed-race couples you'd find in big cities, etc. No one even notices - really.

If, on the other hand, my use of the term Indian (rather than Native-American or First Nation) and the term Black (rather than African-American, or whatever) offends you or your husband, you might be a bit too sensitive for these environs.

After all, you wouldn't really expect to be referred to as a European-Immigrant instead of White would you?

My point being that your reception will be based on your attitudes and who you are, and based on your opening post, I think you'll love it in Helena and the rest of the state.

Good luck!

mg

Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,028,323 times
I was raised in Helena. In 1959, the girl who took me under her wing in the second grade, when my dad was transferred there from Havre after the school year started, has her birthday the day after mine and two older brothers like I do. We considered ourselves twins. We lived close and walked to school and back together every day. Her family was one of two African American families in Helena at the time. Her cousins were the other family. They had been in Helena several generations. Her dad had been a star athlete at Carroll College and worked for the USPS. Even given the times of the 50's and 60's when we were growing up, which had all the historic racism of the USA, her family was greatly respected.

I remember one bad bullying event she and I endured together at the hands of an older boy from the public school, who chased us as we were going home, hitting us with a stick and yelling racist words and threats, as our Catholic School uniforms identified us. He was an example of a pocket of racism in that town. Times have improved greatly, and if something like that happened today, Helena would not tolerate it.

I think Helena will be a good experience for you.

Hope that helps.

H.I.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 AM

101 posts, read 220,160 times
Shouldn't be a problem. You say Christian but what about political beliefs? If liberal that will cause more problems with locals than being black.

I'm married a white women myself and don't have any problems...I'm Injin myself. But then I'm the most conservative, libertiarian type guy your will ever meet.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Thank you everyone for the comments..... My husband and I are not sensitive, very conservative and completely feel we'd fit in Helena based on the feedback! Keeping my fingers crossed for an offer in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks again.... A nice couple eagerly hoping to leave CA!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:59 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,189,024 times
You'd be fine in Helena. While we do have our share of problems, the least of them is bigotry. People are pretty real here for the most part. Some people that have caused problems or are running from the law in other states come to MT, thinking it's a good hiding spot. Locals are mostly good, and have good BS sniffers. Good honest people will get along just fine. It's the ones that try to hide things that end up causing problems.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 PM

20,136 posts, read 23,184,770 times
I'd say moving here from West Virginia- racism is about as non an issue as you're gonna get.

Sure- there are the occasional morons here and there, but as a whole nothing at all to be concerned about.

I'd be more concerned about where you want to live and that sort of thing.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:08 PM

265 posts, read 691,699 times
Default Happiness

Hey Happiness HI Sounds like a true friend there and I hope she and they staill are your friend.peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana