Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 AM

8 posts, read 25,182 times

Advertisements

My sister and her family with 2 kids under 5 may make a move to Helena for a job relocation. They would be moving from western Nebraska. Any information would be appreciated. Their main concerns are housing, school quality, and family-friendliness. Also, how might the climate be different from Nebraska. What are the property taxes like? And other state and local fees? I've read through several posts in the Helena forums, they leave me feeling negative about the area and really do not address issues that relocating families need to make an informed decision. Any info would be appreciated. BTW, she had her family are coming from a small town; so they do not need a lot of conveniences such as a huge mall, or ample entertainment. They live simple but happy, which is why a move to Montana interests them. At the same time, info is still helpful. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace101 View Post
My sister and her family with 2 kids under 5 may make a move to Helena for a job relocation. They would be moving from western Nebraska. Any information would be appreciated. Their main concerns are housing, school quality, and family-friendliness. Also, how might the climate be different from Nebraska. What are the property taxes like? And other state and local fees? I've read through several posts in the Helena forums, they leave me feeling negative about the area and really do not address issues that relocating families need to make an informed decision. Any info would be appreciated. BTW, she had her family are coming from a small town; so they do not need a lot of conveniences such as a huge mall, or ample entertainment. They live simple but happy, which is why a move to Montana interests them. At the same time, info is still helpful. Thanks in advance!
Along the top bar on your screen, it says search. Click on that and then type in Helena and see what you come up with. There are literally hundreds of posts about Helena already here and that will show you where.

Property taxes are going to vary wherever you are so first we need to figure out where you are looking at in particular.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:41 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace101 View Post
First of all, as I suggest to anyone, encourage them to visit first and then decide if they like it. All small towns are different and have their unique qualities and the only way for them to tell if they want to live there is to visit and check it out. But make sure to check it out in winter (not Christmastime) so you can see what the "real" Montana looks like, not just the pretty face it puts on for visitors in July and August.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:25 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,840 times
Can you be more specific on her concerns regarding housing, schools and family friendliness?

Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 15,729 times
Decembergirl:
She is trying to find out about school quality, median home price, which areas of town are safe and attract most families. With job offers, you don't always have time to visit and check out a winter. What are most average winters like, what can they be like. Are there more rural areas to live in but with easy access/drivability to Helena. They are considering a move to two other states and want to try to get as much info on each place. They city-data forums for one of their other choices was so friendly and positive. This one is more dreary and negative. But I wondered if that attitude was representative of Helena, a capital city or people from the rural areas. Thanks for any help and info!!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace2112 View Post
Decembergirl:
She is trying to find out about school quality, median home price, which areas of town are safe and attract most families. With job offers, you don't always have time to visit and check out a winter. What are most average winters like, what can they be like. Are there more rural areas to live in but with easy access/drivability to Helena. They are considering a move to two other states and want to try to get as much info on each place. They city-data forums for one of their other choices was so friendly and positive. This one is more dreary and negative. But I wondered if that attitude was representative of Helena, a capital city or people from the rural areas. Thanks for any help and info!!
I didn't really take the other posters' comments as rude. I thought they were meant to be pragmatic. Since I am from Helena, I would then say "yes" the other posters comments are reflective of people in Helena. Greetings, Grace. There is much info on here about Helena. I've posted a lot of it. Previous postings should be a great resource for you. There's a wealth of them.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace2112 View Post
With job offers, you don't always have time to visit and check out a winter. What are most average winters like, what can they be like.
If a person isn't able to visit during the winter and see what Montana is like in all seasons, I don't think a person really making a commitment to move to Montana and enjoy it for what it is.

We have a lot of people who move here in the summertime because the weather is so nice, then promptly move out a few years later because they can't stand the winter (bitter cold in eastern Montana, long gray winters in western Montana). That's why my first comment to anyone wanting to move here is to visit first in all seasons, and then decide if Montana is right for you.

I can't possibly describe the "average" winter to on this forum. How do I describe what it is like to get up a 5 am and shovel the snowplow berm so you can get to work? (Not once, but everytime the snowplow clears the snow). How can we describe what it is when your teenage daughter wakes up to realize that the cold has frozen the tails off of her cats? What it is like when you can't get home because the only road home is shut down due to high winds? What 32 degrees below zero feels like when your car won't start so you can't get to work? I can go on and on, but recognize that visiting and living here is the only way to get a feel for the "average" winter in Montana....

I'm not trying to be negative but be realistic to people looking at moving here.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:44 PM

155 posts, read 714,649 times
I agree, It is very hard to describe an average winter. There has been good ones and bad ones. Even the good ones have their far share of below zero days and heavy snow. But, I think if you like a friendly community, don't mind a little cold and snow, and a wonderful spring/summer. Then Helena or any part of Montana will be a good fit. Hope they pick Montana Grace.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 AM

5 posts, read 15,729 times
My brother-in-law received a job offer in Helena. They are both born and raised in New England, and have been in Nebraska for 5 years: so I won't ask about weather or winters, since I think they can handle it. What areas should they consider in and around Helena? He enjoys the country more than the city, but doesn't need a long commute either. A house for $250K, is that considered average or low or high? How are the school districts? They would also be looking for a new church as well. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 AM

373 posts, read 1,852,650 times
A lot of people like to live in the Clancy or Montana City areas, which are south of Helena. There are a are few stores, restaraunts, etc., but it's more "out in the country." I have quite a few friends that have younger kids in Clancy, and they love the school. However, when they get ready for high school, they are in the district for Jefferson High School, which is over a big hill about 20-25 minutes the opposite direction in Boulder. But, it's a nice little class B school with a lot of school spirit and community. Most of the parents choose to pay tuition and send their kids to the much larger, much closer AA school in Helena. The housing is a little more expensive there in Clancy/Montana City than the valley north of Helena. Another nice area is the Spokane Bench, sort of out towards Canyon Ferry lake. Both of these options would be about a 20 minute commute to town. This would also be a little more expensive. The average sales price of a home from January-April was running between 242K and 211K, depending on the month it sold. That's according to the MLS listings reported and published in the Helena Chamber of Commerce newsletter.

Could you provide a little bit more info on what type of church they'd be looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana